• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump! Finally updated!

• 4 months later...

bump, updated!

• 2 months later...

back in the days of FDCI i was the director of Magic City Sound, Magic of Alabama, and Magic of McCalla...

i think those were my corps names..

wow it is odd to see how far we have come from FDCI to DCPI

I agree John. My first year was FDCI 13 with Star of Jupiter...summer of 2000.

I think mine was FDCI 6 with the White Knights (later changed to the Knights due to the racial issues I was totally unaware of) as well as the White Knight Cadets and White Knight Regiment. I think that was like summer 96ish? This is so different from then--and man is it GREAT!

Edited by gcurrier

back in the days of FDCI i was the director of Magic City Sound, Magic of Alabama, and Magic of McCalla...

i think those were my corps names..

wow it is odd to see how far we have come from FDCI to DCPI

Well FDCI was written in PERL for unix. Dr. Jeff B did put a lot of work in the programming of the system. I have all the code. :tongue:

DCP-I isn't running on unix (or written in PERL) so the programming doesn't carry over, that's why there are some minor problems that come up. I give a lot of credit for John for finding the right person to help in the programming. DCPI has come a long way since the intial spreadsheet.

Well FDCI was written in PERL for unix. Dr. Jeff B did put a lot of work in the programming of the system. I have all the code. :tongue:

DCP-I isn't running on unix (or written in PERL) so the programming doesn't carry over, that's why there are some minor problems that come up. I give a lot of credit for John for finding the right person to help in the programming. DCPI has come a long way since the intial spreadsheet.

Thanks, Steve. However, I'm going to have to check my servers again - the last time I looked (about 5 mins ago), I was running a *NIX operating system.

Dr. Butera provided me with the source for FDCI and his permission to use the code for DCPI. After having a look at the code, our development and production environments, and where I wanted to take things - I decided not to use the FDCI application and instead create our own applications that would leverage our overall database design.

The reason there are "minor problems that come up" is that there are humans designing and coding the applications. We make mistakes and at-times don't fully consider all of the variables (including human interaction) involved. That said, I'm happy with where we are and how we've been able to resolve (or work around) issues, once they've surfaced and were brought to our attention.

Its been with the hard work of our DCPI Administrators and the patience of our members that we've been able to enjoy some really great seasons. I'm excited about DCPI-10 and the future.

Good luck to all of our directors and corps.

-john

Got you beat... FDCI 4 was my first season. First champions in FDCI 6 for Enigma and FDCI 7 for Mystré

Yeah I realized that was wrong..summer of 2000 was FDCI 10 which was my first season but hey you still got me beat.