Drum Heads

Okay, so I know NOTHING about drums but why dont more corps use colored heads?

I have only seen white,black and green. Is it money issues? do they sound bad? hard to tune? whats the deal?

I think it would be cool to see more colors. Crowns green bass drums were freakin awesome. Why dont more corps do that?

well mostly not in the case of bass drums mostly but in terms of sound quality, the color of the head will mess with the sound of the drum. it all has to deal with quality. but yea the green heads dont really change much on the bass drum. bass drum tuning is more about padding than anything else.

thanks for the info. so if it does not affect the bass drums, more corps should change the head color. just imagine crossmen with red bass heads! :thumbup:

The different colorings can affect the material in different ways that affect the sound. (Remember, non DCI heads have to last more than 10 weeks.)

For instance, Remo's White Max and Black Max heads have a distinctly different sound - enough that you could hear them both on a recording and tell they're different - despite nominally being the "same" style head.

I know Evans just introduced custom screen printing on bass heads (like they did for BD in 2008 - the bass heads are the same blue pearl finish as the drums) - that may be the wave of the future.

Mike

It may not be a different color, but Pioneer's bass drum heads (marching and concert) have the corps name, city and in the case of marching bass heads, the sponsors of the corps.

For instance, Remo's White Max and Black Max heads have a distinctly different sound - enough that you could hear them both on a recording and tell they're different - despite nominally being the "same" style head.

Mike

It would make for an interesting blindfold test. Not saying there's no difference in the sound (or the "feel," from a players standpoint, for that matter). But it would interesting to line up some folks with varying levels of experience and expertise and see what shook out as far as their being able to differentiate.

Results would probably be different live vs. recorded too. Lots of variables in that mix.

peace,

Fred O.

Someone please explain to me what the holy heck the color of a drum head has to do with the sound? That just sounds like complete nonsense. And please be ready with some facts because I'm an engineer and I need facts.

Back in the Jurassic era, we used to have black or chrome circles centered on the heads. Not sure if it was cosmetic or had something to do w/ how the drum sounded.

The dots had a dampening effect, but were primarily there to reinforce the playing area of the head (and both Remo and Ludwig still offer those black dot and silver dot heads).

In terms of sonic differences between the black mylar film and the white mylar film, I'm also a skeptic. It's not just drum corps people who believe there's a difference; it's also a common belief in the wider drummer community. But DuPont has to color the film one way or another before it's shipped to the factory, and I can't imagine why there'd be a sonic difference between the black dye and the white dye.

The tech to make small lots of colored heads is relatively affordable now, and both Remo and Evans (as noted previously) are offering custom heads, for those who want them. Me, I'm a purist on that front - I like plain whites and blacks, since they lend uniformity to the bass line and make them easier to read on the field.

Someone please explain to me what the holy heck the color of a drum head has to do with the sound? That just sounds like complete nonsense. And please be ready with some facts because I'm an engineer and I need facts.

I'm not an engineer, but it has something to do with the colored material they use in making the heads. I'll go look on DLO - there's a pretty specific thread over there.

Mike