Glassmen 2012

Just got back from watching practice across the street at the Glass Bowl for the first time this season, it looks like they have a lot of holes still. The corps also looks relatively young this year as well.

Hornline (and entire corps) is perennially young. Holes are always pretty noticeable at drill camps and begin filling in significantly as move-ins progress. The last few holes are filled around the time of the regionals usually. No cause for alarm here - just standard Glassmen operating procedure from the last few years.

I'm hoping to get out and volunteer for some of move-ins (or at least get out to the Glass Bowl on the weekends they're there). I'll keep reporting in and may snap some pics too when possible.

Looking forward to these Jupiter horns. ANYTHING is an improvement over the Dynasty horns. Not sad to see that era go.

Go Glassmen! I always hope for good things from them. Really liked their shows ~97-02 and a few since then, too.

Just got back from watching practice across the street at the Glass Bowl for the first time this season, it looks like they have a lot of holes still. The corps also looks relatively young this year as well.

There are a lot of holes because a large amount of members still have obligations to their colleges. All but 3 holes in the hornline have been filled.

• Like 1

20\^/12

Edited by G-Sop
  • Like 4

True, DCW didn't spill the beans in regards to song titles. I'm sorry if I made it seem this way and yes, I may have made a mistake in listing the songs here and have since removed them

I am just confused as to why I as an alumnus of this corps have heard nothing from the organization about the 2012 production when the corps as a whole has known the music for months (since at least February). I really wish that we would start following the success of other organizations who get their name out in social media and release whatever information they can to get people (and future marching members) excited. The Glassmen struggle mightily with PR issues, and I feel like I am being left out in the cold. The only emails I get are to ask me to volunteer or for money. One or two sentences monthly about camps from the Facebook and Twitter accounts. No show announcement. No composers listed. No show description. Nothing and it is the month of move-ins. For a corps that regularly needs members to fill holes even around San Antonio this is not the way to function. I hate having to hear information second-hand through my friends who are marching or Drum Corps World and yet this is how it is.

Each year the Glassmen slip a little more under the radar in the drum corps community. The fiftieth anniversary, which could have been HUGE, was a disappointment for most alumni especially in terms of show design (and I don't even mind that they didn't make finals). Where was this show last year? No homage to our storied past on a MAJOR anniversary.

I know I am just venting right now, but a lot of this has been on my mind for some time now. I love my corps and I had a hell of a time touring with them. I support them and the members in whatever way I can, but this stuff can't be overlooked.

worthy.gif agree 100%

• Like 2

I can confirm that the Hornline is now using Jupitar horns. This company seems to have BIG plans for us, and there will be a growing parntership between the two organizations. There are only three holes at this time to be filled, most of our members are either still in classes or are too far out of state to pay for a plane ticket for every camp. The show is coming along well, yes there are some younger members this year but they are putting themselves to their limits in order to be the best they can be. We hope for the best this season and with the drive this Corps is showing I am sure there is greatness to held in the future. We've read some of the posts in other threads that are saying things that would say we aren't going to do well this season, well ALL we have to say to that is - "WATCH OUT BECAUSE WHEN THE GLASSMEN TAKE THE FIELD, ##### ABOUT TO GET REAL!" 20\^/12

I must say, as an alumni, I love the positivity you are showing. I marched 14 years ago and this corps means as much to me today as it did in 1998. A little positive momentum will go along way towards making this a great and enjoyable season for all of the members. I'm excited for this program and I can't wait to see it this summer.

Best of luck to you as move ins approach!

• Like 4

True, DCW didn't spill the beans in regards to song titles. I'm sorry if I made it seem this way and yes, I may have made a mistake in listing the songs here and have since removed them

I am just confused as to why I as an alumnus of this corps have heard nothing from the organization about the 2012 production when the corps as a whole has known the music for months (since at least February). I really wish that we would start following the success of other organizations who get their name out in social media and release whatever information they can to get people (and future marching members) excited. The Glassmen struggle mightily with PR issues, and I feel like I am being left out in the cold. The only emails I get are to ask me to volunteer or for money. One or two sentences monthly about camps from the Facebook and Twitter accounts. No show announcement. No composers listed. No show description. Nothing and it is the month of move-ins. For a corps that regularly needs members to fill holes even around San Antonio this is not the way to function. I hate having to hear information second-hand through my friends who are marching or Drum Corps World and yet this is how it is.

Each year the Glassmen slip a little more under the radar in the drum corps community. The fiftieth anniversary, which could have been HUGE, was a disappointment for most alumni especially in terms of show design (and I don't even mind that they didn't make finals). Where was this show last year? No homage to our storied past on a MAJOR anniversary.

I know I am just venting right now, but a lot of this has been on my mind for some time now. I love my corps and I had a hell of a time touring with them. I support them and the members in whatever way I can, but this stuff can't be overlooked.

Paul,

This post brought a tear to my eye. The bad kind. You want to release private information and talk negatively about the drum corps that you claim to love in a public forum, then I will release private information about you in the same place. Now, I know that we're gfam for life and when our paths cross again I will absolutely give you a hug for that, but: REALLY?! You. know. better. I know that you only marched one year, but that's no excuse. Even rookies know that we AS A FAMILY like to play things close to the chest. You gotta buy into that, man.

If you really want to assert your love and support for the Glassmen, then by all means donate some money to the gas fund or come volunteer at Spring Training. The people who put forth an effort to stay connected don't have to hear anything second hand and don't share it with the general public. You clearly have several suggestions for the drum corps... you think BH spends time searching these forums for helpful hints? I wouldn't think so-- give him a call! I'm sure he'd love to catch up with you. Posting about problems is just silly because instead of fixing them, if anything, it magnifies them. Maybe instead of being a part of the problem you could be a part of the solution. If you know someone who has a degree in public relations, can generate positive pr, and is willing to work for free I bet Brian would be more than willing to at least hear you out. Marching for one year gives a person minuscule insight into what it takes to run a drum corps and even people who have been on both sides of the field for decades will tell you they still learn new things all the time. Social media may be the latest craze but it is not what makes a drum corps successful.

As for the 50th being "a disappointment for most alumni" SHAME ON YOU. That drum corps was amazing-- a great group of professional performers and a powerfully emotional show that I don't think that any other alumni would come forward to claim it as a disappointment. I certainly disown that statement as an alum and within hours I believe I could easily conjure up 100 alums to agree with me.

So please please please make good on your promise to the Glassmen to "support them and the members in whatever way I can" by keeping your mouth shut on here except for positive encouragement. In general I have never been a fan of dcp forums (I mean, c'mon we joke all summer that "Those who can't march, teach and those who can't teach, judge--those who can't judge post on dcp") but if you must post on here please use it to build up and strengthen Glassmen's image not tear it down. Maybe next time before you hit 'add post' you'll think to yourself: What would BH post? (p.s. the answer is probably nothing; let the corps' actions on the field speak where an internet presence cannot). The absolute best place to move all future posts is to the Glassmen Family facebook group that is invitation-only and made up of exclusively former and current Glassmen family. Please remember that you will always have the privilege and responsibility of representing the Glassmen with every post you make online.

• Like 3

1) Marching "only" one year at Glassmen doesn't disqualify my personal opinions of my favorite corps. I am the most critical of my corps because I know the most about them (and also I care the most about them). Don't scold me and be condescending toward me publicly for "not knowing better" because I only marched one year. PM me or Facebook me instead. I'd be happy to discuss this more with you there.

2) I do not have to "buy into" the fact that we release probably the least information out of all the world class corps. Look at the excitement generated by other corps already. It is my opinion that the Glassmen need to build up the hype or at least be more prominent in news releases, especially to the gfam. Again, I think this is a serious issue that does need to be discussed and processed by the drum corps community. You do not need a public relations major to post frequent updates during camp weekends or emulate the success of other corps. I agree with you in that social media doesn't make a corps successful, but it gets their name out there. It gets them donations. It gets them members.

3) I think long and hard before I post anything here. I enjoy being a part of this DCP community (most of the time) because I can talk about our activity in a very real way and digest some of the successes and improvements DCI and its corps need to make. I try to ignore and not post the vitriol that many others post on here.

4) All of the information I've posted here currently is public information, including the show name and the announcement of a new hornline. The only private information I posted I deleted because I reconsidered and fessed up to making a mistake.

5) I have donated over $300 as a full-time college student to the organization since 2010 in support of members, souvies, and gas funds (mostly on members, then gas money, then a shirt). I back up my words with actions.

6) I should clarify that the 2011 was a disappointment to many alumni in terms of show design. This itself is a statement I make based on mine and several other alumni opinions directly made to me. Those I've talked to would have liked to see an homage to our past, our successes, or our name (like this show will apparently be). Let me be perfectly clear: I am not disappointed in our placement or performance of the members last year. I loved the energy, arrangements, and execution of our show, regardless of placement. It was a fantastic year for the Glassmen performers and it killed me that I could not be out there with them and I am SUPER pumped to get out, volunteer what time I can, and support my corps 100% this and every other year.

7) Look at many of my other posts regarding Glassmen (and other corps). I am super positive on here and felt the need to vent once. BH is aware of what I consider problems. I plan on emailing him, and I likely will do this from now on instead of posting another long vent session on here, but I know many other members who have contacted him already and share my frustrations. My opinions are shared by many in our family and by the drum corps community as a whole.

Now that I am done defending myself from a public attack, please keep any further comments to a PM or a Facebook chat. I'd be happy to speak with you more about this.

Alrightie, well as much as I'd love to dissect the myriad of flaws with this post: I'd just like to politely ask that you no longer vent on dcp as this was my only intention. I am posting as a representative of the general dislike and frustration your posts generated this weekend at camp among the Glassmen and their supporters.

• Like 1