Future MiM/ToC Events

Why just use the G7 corps? Pick 10 random smallish local shows on the tour in 2014 and experiment with different scoring/judging/format options. Have a drumline battle tournament among the corps at the beginning of the show and have the winner get a bonus point, the second place get 0.5, third place 0.1 added to their final score, something like that. Or have a rule that if two corps are within 0.5 they have to drumline battle it out for their placement. Or add in audience voting to the score somehow. Or... whatever other bright ideas there are out there. Particularly in the shows with just four or five corps, these things could add some interest.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the regular old format. I kind of like seeing progressively more impressive shows with a five minute break in between to talk them over with the folks around me, followed by a single-corps encore and the score announcement.

• Like 1

Scrap the TOC.

• Like 1

Scrap the TOC.

Nah

But the other corps should play hardball and start 'Tour of Favorites' just to stir up sh#$ :tongue:/>

Would love to see, say, Crusaders and Scouts and BK duking it out for a 'Cup' or something right now.

Isn't just as goofy to have 'Open Class' competitions and championships if nearly all of them get to compete in WC prelims/quarters? That's like separating the bottom division from the top division anyway, so we might as well get a middle division tournament into the mix.

I'd be ALL for setting DCI up like European-style soccer (or like WGI, or like US baseball) with three tiers of excellence:

* Tour of Champions = previous Top 8

* Tour of Favorites = previous 9-16

* Open Class = 17th-last

Keep Championship week same as it is now, keep full-corps regionals same as now, but maybe during the week we have the different tiered shows with the 'Cup' winner being decided by an average of full-season's scores (maybe each week scores have higher weighting to help give a 'nudge' to corps who make a late season surge).

Maybe even make the 'Cup' Champion some average of scores + audience vote to make things more interesting.

And for the corps, maybe a cash prize to sweeten the pot...

Just a thought. I like the Tour of Champions and I really wish they would get more daring or different with show/tournament format instead of same ol, same ol

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 2

The problem is that the current TOC isn't the top 8 or 7, its the G7. The TOC corps are "Champions of the Activity" as proclaimed by some spin doctor. The don't have to be former champs, or even the top 7 scores from the previous season, they will always be the G7. Even if Cavies drop to 10th, or if Madison or Boston make the top 6, the current TOC won't change. Drop the TOC and drop a hammer on the G7. If DCI wants to come up with some new concepts I'm all for it, but don't kowtow to seven ego maniacs that happen to be in charge of the seven biggest budgets in DCI.

• Like 3

Why just use the G7 corps? Pick 10 random smallish local shows on the tour in 2014 and experiment with different scoring/judging/format options. Have a drumline battle tournament among the corps at the beginning of the show and have the winner get a bonus point, the second place get 0.5, third place 0.1 added to their final score, something like that. Or have a rule that if two corps are within 0.5 they have to drumline battle it out for their placement. Or add in audience voting to the score somehow. Or... whatever other bright ideas there are out there. Particularly in the shows with just four or five corps, these things could add some interest.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the regular old format. I kind of like seeing progressively more impressive shows with a five minute break in between to talk them over with the folks around me, followed by a single-corps encore and the score announcement.

I'd imagine that happening between BD and Crown (or really any of the other corps in the top 5 or 6) who would handily lose to BD every TOC because of some dumb drumline battle... Why put so much emphasis on percussion? These TOC shows are pointless. I'd rather see a balanced show with more lesser corps in the mix than just the G7.

I dunno...If there was any TOC on the West Coast (Top 6-7 corps) late season, I would drive several hours and pay good $$ to go. Maybe that is the kay. For all the extra $$, they could all travel a distance to put on the show. The West Coast has shown they can bring a big audience.

• Like 2

How about new forms of judging? MiM could use these to show us how *they* think corps should be judged. You can't tell me it's the exact same as what's at DCI events.

Why not? The G7 groups seem to do pretty well with DCI's current scoring model. They probably think that's excatly how the shows should be judged.

Tour of "Champions"? Don't you actually have to WIN something to be a champion? They should call it what it really is: "Tour of Five REAL Champions, Two wannabees, with the exclusion of another 2 time Champion". Truth in advertising, people.

• Like 2