Why doesn't DCI love the West Coast?

I was looking at the Chester, PA scores/lineup last night, and it really hit home how much DCI does not support the West Coast. Last night's show had 8 finalist-level corps, and every single one of them broke 83. I'm fairly certain that for the past 9 seasons (including the current) there hasn't been a single show that's included more than four or five finalist-level World Class corps, and we're lucky if literally any break 80 (let alone all of them!).

Fine, DCI is located is the East Coast (timezone at least, I consider Indy the Midwest), but here's where I really get confused: According to a recent trivia video I saw on DCI's Facebook page, DCI hosts more competitions in California than in any other state. There wouldn't be a reason to host that many shows if there wasn't an audience for it, so why does DCI give California/the West Coast in general the shaft?

And before anyone says it's not feasible, all of the corps meet up at the middle of the season by San Antonio, and then head East for the second half. San Antonio/Texas is in the middle of the country, so having everyone head left instead of right every other year really doesn't seem that extreme to me.

• Like 4

I agree! Hang a left after San Antonio and come to California- no rain or humidity and decent band programs to recruit from. I know...wishful thinking!

• Like 2

I agree! Hang a left after San Antonio and come to California- no rain or humidity and decent band programs to recruit from. I know...wishful thinking!

This would require west coast corps to start on the east coast (or at least not the west coast). I think it's a fine idea, at least to try out.

I've lamented this before, but I've grown a little tired of the current touring format. Same focus shows on the same weekends, mostly the same paths to get in between those shows. I'd like to see a little variety.

• Like 1

I was looking at the Chester, PA scores/lineup last night, and it really hit home how much DCI does not support the West Coast. Last night's show had 8 finalist-level corps, and every single one of them broke 83. I'm fairly certain that for the past 9 seasons (including the current) there hasn't been a single show that's included more than four or five finalist-level World Class corps, and we're lucky if literally any break 80 (let alone all of them!).

Fine, DCI is located is the East Coast (timezone at least, I consider Indy the Midwest), but here's where I really get confused: According to a recent trivia video I saw on DCI's Facebook page, DCI hosts more competitions in California than in any other state. There wouldn't be a reason to host that many shows if there wasn't an audience for it, so why does DCI give California/the West Coast in general the shaft?

And before anyone says it's not feasible, all of the corps meet up at the middle of the season by San Antonio, and then head East for the second half. San Antonio/Texas is in the middle of the country, so having everyone head left instead of right every other year really doesn't seem that extreme to me.

California ? There is at least the 50-50 possibility that 2016 might be the first year since 1933 ( yes, 1933 ) that not a single Top 12 Finalist Corps was from New England, New Jersey, or New York. Every year since its inception ( 1972 ) DCI has had anywhere from 1 to 4 Corps from this heavily populated, TV advertising dollar desired region in the Top 12. And in the pre DCI Years, when the VFW, American Legion were the recognized Drum Corps National Championships, anywhere from 2-6 Corps in the Top 12 were from NE, NJ, NY all the way back to 1933. 32 million people live in this NE, NJ, NY region today. Iowa ( pop. 3 mil. ) had 6 DCI shows this season. NY/ NJ ( pop. 19.7 mil ) will have had 2 DCI shows this season.. both in NY and on the same nite no less. New Jersey had 1 DCI show scheduled this season, and it was a rainout. Idaho, Nebraska, had DCI shows this season however. So I would not complain all that much about " California", as California DCI Drum Corps, the number DCI Drum Corps shows, and DCI's exposure there, is doing so much better than the once rich Drum Corps Northeast is currently doing, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

This would require west coast corps to start on the east coast (or at least not the west coast). I think it's a fine idea, at least to try out.

I've lamented this before, but I've grown a little tired of the current touring format. Same focus shows on the same weekends, mostly the same paths to get in between those shows. I'd like to see a little variety.

How so? It's not like East Coast corps start on the West coast. Aside from those Midwest shows, Cadets started their season on the East Coast, and Pennsylvania got shows at both ends of the season.

• Like 1

DCI hosts more competitions in California than in any other state.

That's not a good point to argue on because California is huge. It is (very roughly) the size of the entire eastern seaboard (call it Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Long Island, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia) plus Florida.

Also, flights from California to Indianapolis are not appreciably longer or more expensive than flights from (say) Orlando or New York or Houston.

California ? There is at least the 50-50 possibility that 2016 might be the first year since 1933 ( yes, 1933 ) that not a single Top 12 Finalist Corps was from New England, New Jersey, or New York. Every year since its inception ( 1972 ) DCI has had anywhere from 1 to 4 Corps from this heavily populated, TV advertising dollar desired region in the Top 12. And in the pre DCI Years, when the VFW, American Legion were the recognized Drum Corps National Championships, anywhere from 2-6 Corps in the Top 12 were from NE, NJ, NY all the way back to 1933. 32 million people live in this NE, NJ, NY region today. Iowa ( pop. 3 mil. ) had 6 DCI shows this season. NY/ NJ ( pop. 19.7 mil ) will have had 2 DCI shows this season.. both in NY and on the same nite no less. New Jersey had 1 DCI show scheduled this season, and it was a rainout. Idaho, Nebraska, had DCI shows this season however. So I would not complain all that much about " California", as California DCI Drum Corps and the number DCI Drum Corps shows, and DCI's exposure there is doing so much better than the once rich Drum Corps rich Northeast is currently doing, imo.

California was just my example, purely because (again) it gets more shows than any other state (yet they're all early season and missing more than two thirds of the total corps roster). I do not live in California, it just seemed like the most obvious state to do more shows if there was going to be more West Coast shows.

Yes, there's some states that are going to get shafted, but I'm talking about regions. Within any location in the NE, you can get to a show with >6 top 12 corps scoring >80 points by driving about 6 hours. If a person lives in the Pacific Time Zone, the drive to accomplish that exceeds 12 hours.

Also, I'm not sure what you're getting at about the New England area. Aren't Cadets from that neck of the woods?

That's not a good point to argue on because California is huge. It is (very roughly) the size of the entire eastern seaboard (call it Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Long Island, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia) plus Florida.

Also, flights from California to Indianapolis are not appreciably longer or more expensive than flights from (say) Orlando or New York or Houston.

Indy, no, and flying is similar, you're right. But a lot of people drive to shows. Orlando is a 6 hour drive from Atlanta (regional show). New York (City, I assume you meant) is a 2 hour drive from Allentown (regional show). Houston is a 3 hour drive to San Antonio (regional show). Anyone in the West Coast has none of these driving options.

Well the problem with getting all the corps to come West is corps like Boston, the Cadets, and Crown. They would have to drive across the country for that. I believe that is one heck of a stretch of road. Since Crown goes as far as Texas.... Right? So does Boston and the Cadets?