How to choose: Internship vs. Age out

I agree that you should have thought about this and had your mind set way before you applied for internships. In my work I see tons of competition for our internship positions and see a significant volume turn into offers of employment. IMO, if you have had the drum corps experience already I would go after the internship. Drum corps is great but a leg up on your adult, professional career is rare.

An opposite experience for me, in many ways.

Among other "putting corps first when I shouldn't have" things, to this day I regret marching my last season with the Sunrisers... 1982... even though we won a DCA title. My dad was ill with the effects of an earlier brain injury that summer... the summer after I lost my mom.... and looking back, I needed to be home with him on weekends.

We had some other family members and friends who pitched in... but I needed to be there more. My brother was Sun's director, so it was not an option for him to leave the corps.

Don't get me wrong... it was fun to win that title in '82, and my family (mostly, kinda sorta) understood me being away on weekends... but honestly, I screwed up by not bowing out.

I know... hindsight is always 20/20. He passed away in the spring of 1983, after I had retired from marching.

Now... in 1981... the summer when my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer... both my brother and I offered to leave the corps, but she ordered us to stay. LOL. You did not say "no" to my mom. :tongue:

Chris, you're right.... everyone has a good reason for their thinking. I hope the OP is happy with whatever decision is made. And I hope he or she has a great corps experience if that path is chosen.

Your dad probably felt the same as your mom - go do your thing, don't worry about me. But that generation of men (the greatest generation) were not exactly open with their feelings, if your dad was like mine. You were young, you didn't know....

Your dad probably felt the same as your mom - go do your thing, don't worry about me. But that generation of men (the greatest generation) were not exactly open with their feelings, if your dad was like mine. You were young, you didn't know....

Good point... thank you for sharing it.

Your description is exactly what my dad was like.

Good point... thank you for sharing it.

Your description is exactly what my dad was like.

My dad had his first heart attack while I was on tour in 98. I stayed home in 99. But seeing his face when I came off of the field in 00 and 01 was amazing. I was happy he finally got to see me perform on a field. He never got to see me perform as often as he had wanted. I sent him a CD from every recording I've played on. That generation didn't share as much as they would have liked. I guess it's just the times.

My dad had his first heart attack while I was on tour in 98. I stayed home in 99. But seeing his face when I came off of the field in 00 and 01 was amazing. I was happy he finally got to see me perform on a field. He never got to see me perform as often as he had wanted. I sent him a CD from every recording I've played on. That generation didn't share as much as they would have liked. I guess it's just the times.

Great memories, Chris.

My mom and dad were both involved with the junior corps where I marched... she was a chaperone, he drove either a bus or truck.

When I was with Sun, the complications from his brain injury gradually took a toll on my dad...his last few years, he was "with it" only on occasion. Needless to say, my parents' corps involvement was then limited to them coming to some shows and cheering us on. They were among our biggest fans!!!

We all thought my dad would go first. It was a shock when my mom took ill and passed before that.

I've probably shared more personal stuff in my last few posts than I ever have in public in a long time... usually not my style at all. So thanks for putting up with me here. LOL.

But if I had a chance for a "do-over" of those few years... I sure would take it.