My theory about DCi finals

Look at 2003 prelims. Cadets' guard was placed FIFTH in prelims, yet they won semifinals. Finals was basically an either/or with BD. But 5th? That judge never did championship week again. Ditto 1987. The TREND was SCV beating Garfield in GE Visual (comfortably) all season. In semis, SCV was scored 14.7 and then Garfield 14.9. In Finals, it was Cavies 14.1, SCV 14.6, Garfield 14.0. The Finals judge was then delegated to west coast only. Hmm.

If anything changes during finals week is that the actual performance on the field tends to carry more weight than the rep.  This is not reflected on the sheets but I definitely have observed that over the years.  It's more the "now or never" mentality.

A couple of examples: last year: first time Cavies beat Cadets-finals. 2008: first time Phantom beat BD:Finals and I am sure there are plenty of other examples. 

47 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

All the research data that I am aware of the last 35 years seems to suggest that there is far LESS change in the placements at Finals than during( as you said) the" main season". Just the opposite of your premise.  On the whole , the placements at Semi Finals ( top 12 ) tend to remain the same at Finals despite the fact there is a complete wholesale change of the judging panel at Finals. And when there is the inusual occurance that a Corps changes a placement position,  unless theres a penalty, the Top 12 Corps almost never change more than one placement position from Semifinals to Finals . 95% of the Corps don't change positions from Quarterfinals to Finals either, for approx. 90% of the years too. Also, the last 35 years of data shows we have FAR more volatility in scores and placement changes among the Corps during " the main season" ( June, July ) than at Championships. Just the opposite then of your premise.

I hate to say it but I think we could all accurately predict the final 12, top to bottom, right now. When they get to finals, it's more about specific critiques about specific known items that have been identified and judge all season long. It's the nature of DCIs scoring methodology.

Fans get worked up when they see gaps closing late in the season, but it is the nature of how DCI does scoring. When your best show tops out at 100, gaps will close at the end because once you get into the 90s, there's no other way to continue to show progress. A two point gap a month ago is a one point gap tonight, and a half point gap in Indy.