DCI World Championships Finals - Paid Attendance Figures

36 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Now sweat Daaaaave.  After 20 pages, some other posts might be in the wrong thread.

Heck... some threads might be in the wrong thread!!!  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2017 at 0:55 PM, cixelsyd said:

To help the OP fill some of the gaps in the early years, I went to the source (the DCI yearbooks) to see what DCI actually claimed at the time.  Following is what I found.

1976 yearbook (speaking about 1975 finals): "Showers during the day of the finals cooled things off, and the night air was clear and crisp.  The contest drew over 25,000 drum corps fans, which packed the concert side of the stadium (not to mention considerable hundreds in the back bleachers).  Add to this the countless thousands of fans who were watching the contest on nationwide television."  (This was the first year for the PBS telecast, which back then was a live broadcast of the full 12-corps finals.)

1977 yearbook: "Each year, attendance grew, with a record 24,000 present in 1976."

1978 yearbook: "Each year, attendance grew, with a record 31,000 present in Denver, Colorado in 1977."

1979 yearbook repeats 31,000 as record, fails to mention 1978 attendance.  1980 and 1981 yearbooks do not mention attendance numbers.  So I referred to Drum Corps World for help.  The August 24, 1978 issue has a report on finals by Norm Umberger, describing the crowd as "almost 28,000".

August 24, 1979 DCW, Keith Campbell:  "The Devils' victory was witnessed by the largest crowd ever assembled in the eight-year history of this contest, as 32,800 enthusiastic fans cheered drum corps' twelve finest."

August 22, 1980 DCW, Jan and Keith Campbell:  "some 30,000 plus drum corps fanatics".

August 31, 1981 DCW, Catherine Thomas:  "record crowd of 35,947".  The following DCI yearbook (1982) rounds the number to the nearest thousand as usual, saying "Molson Stadium was left behind as 36,000 fans, a new DCI record, streamed into Montreal's awe-inspiring Olympic Stadium."

August 3, 1982 DCW, Catherine Thomas:  "28,000 fans".

None of these reports specify what type of attendance count it is (i.e. paid or total).

Finally something based on actual quoted numbers in this thread. Thanks!