I miss drum & bell.

Don't you miss all the old drum & bell corps?

Out here we had the The Blue Devils, Blue Angles, The Royal Family, and numerous other corps as well as Drill Teams.

What were the ones in your area?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess you're in my neighborhood

here's two more ... the Medieval Barons (from Milpitas) and the Rebel Cadets (San Jose??)

In the midwest, and somewhat the east coast, during the 60's and early 70's, there was a phenomenon known as Drum & Twirling Corps. They consisted of about 20-30 baton twirlers, doing their "routines" in a gymnasium, with drill. The musical accompainment was provided by a small, standard drum corps drum line, but with bells (carried) versus brass. There was also a drum corps style color guard.

The drum lines usually had two or three snares, a couple tenors or triples, two or three bass drums, and a cymbal or two. Then there'd be the three or four bell players. The guard would have three or four rifles, and ten or twelve flags.

There was a large circuit in the midwest (12-15 corps easily) and plenty throughout the east too. There were state championships and a national championship each year too. The top drum corps judges would judge drums and guard each year (at the larger championships).

Our drill instructor in my "twirlie corps" (as they were "affectionately" known) was Gary Czapinski (yes, THAT Gary Czapinski). We also used Hank Granna, Bob Wenderski, etc. Our drum and guard instructors also came from a who's who of drum corps greats. Truman Crawford even wrote our bell parts in 1968!!

We were the Velvet Viking Cadets. The Finleyville Crusaders, a relatively successful, though short-lived drum and bugle corps in the 70's, evolved exclusively from a twirlie corps called the Modernettes. Others were the Silver Knights, Highlighters, Candettes, Rebels, and many, many more.

Many of the guard and drum line folks in midwest drum and bugle corps came from "twirlie corps" during that era. At one time, four of the six snares in our Cavie line were from various twirlie corps. Same with DesPlaines Vanguard, Norwood Park Imperials, etc.

I believe the twirlie corps concept changed quite a bit in the late 70's. I don't know how it exists today, or in what form. It was under the umbrella of the NBTA back then (National Baton Twirling Assoc.).

I don't know how it exists today, or in what form. It was under the umbrella of the NBTA back then (National Baton Twirling Assoc.).

Paul, NBTA still exist. If I'm not mistaken, they usually hold there Nationals at Notre Dame (SP?) A friend of mine has been apart of that association for over 30 years. Her groups have won many awards at the national level.

I believe she said they do have an indoor guard class......but it's mostly baton twirlers who do not have or know the basic techniques for rifle, saber or flag. Granted they can do something pretty cool moves, like the "fish tail" or an illusion with guard equipment, but they lack basic skills.

I remember those drum and bells, drill teams and batton twirling teams. Quite honestly I didn't care for them. That could be the brass guy in me talking. With all those glocks and bell's it sounded like a fricken ice cream truck coming down the street. Then you have those girls pounding their feet into the street with drill teams and all the prissy prancing around the twirlers did. Yech...

Don't forget, the Renegades have been beaten by the dreaded St Mary's Drum and Bell corps in the San Francicso Chinese New Years Parade. You should join us in the further distruction of them once more.

Join the Renegades for the Chinese New Years Parade

I spent the 1989 season in England working with the Shefield Jordanairs (sence merged). We did several village fair performances and would frequently find a open field roped off no line or even close to the right size and compete with drum and bell groups. That was tough.

At the time, the bell corps were still pretty active. I think they were a part of BYBA (British Youth Band Association) as were many of the corps. Some of you DCUKer's correct me if i'm mistaken.

Don

I apologize in advance for my youthful ignorance, but what exactly does the "bell" portion of drum and bell corps entail?

The "bells" were hand-held glockenspiels (think "bell lyre"), that were played with one mallet as the bell players marched their drill around the gym floor. Toward the end of this "era," standard marimbas and xylophones (on wheels, etc.) made their way into the activity.