pittsburg kansas show fiasco

this just in from a friend of mine on the road with one of the corps.

cap regiment sent 10 kids to the hosp for heat realated illnesses.

Pittsburg police are watching parkinglot keeping corps from warming up until further notice.

Cavies were ordered by police to stop practice.

Current field temp is 130 degrees

Show will be delayed 2+ hours

And I tought it was hot this weekend.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's hope those kids are ok and pray for their health. And the corps just need to go on the busses or in the school and get some air conditioning for a while. They need to do what the police tell them. If they have to start the show later when it is cooler, then so be it.

Here's to no more heat-related illness and to a good show tonight.

Well, let's hope those kids are ok and pray for their health. And the corps just need to go on the busses or in the school and get some air conditioning for a while. They need to do what the police tell them. If they have to start the show later when it is cooler, then so be it.

Here's to no more heat-related illness and to a good show tonight.

Im with you there brother

interesting.... the weather says it's 100 in Pittsburg, and that the heat index is 103.

I forget what kind of field that is.... just grass if I'm not mistaken.

Hope those sent to the hospital are ok. but I'm not sure about the 130 temp. :grouphug:

Just got off thye phone with my son who is on staff with Cap Reg and said it was 7 guard members that were dehydrated. Everyone else in the corps is fine.

Pitt State also has a auxiliary band camp in progress. Part of the camp involves drum corps activities. My daughters are at the camp - staff and participant. The report is that it is HOT!!! Dealing with the drum corps is one thing --- they either KNOW from experience or have staff to help advise. The difficulty is with the high school kids that don't know what to do and haven't developed the respect for their bodies. They keep sneaking off to get pop to 'hydrate' themselves.

I understand the for the most part, the corps kids are just lying around - everything seems to be going in slow motion. For the most part, those outside seem to quickly take care of business and then collapse.

interesting.... the weather says it's 100 in Pittsburg, and that the heat index is 103.

I forget what kind of field that is.... just grass if I'm not mistaken.

Hope those sent to the hospital are ok. but I'm not sure about the 130 temp. :grouphug:

Im with you on that.I am just reporting what was text to me

it's cool.

that number just sounds a bit..... inflated. that's all.

that's not to say that it isn't hot, or that it's not causing issues. I'm not far from there, and it's way hot here too. (96 with a heat index of 107 here).