Proposal: Third competitive seaason

Galen

I'm posting this in both the rules congress forum and the main forum so more people will (hopefully) see it.

I've been kicking around the idea for a while of offering some kind of condensed competition in between the summer and winter seasons, as there are 3 months between when the winter season ends and the summer season begins (typically), but between 6 and 7 months between when summer ends and winter begins, and I think I've come up with something rather unique and exciting.

I'm proposing a "third-season" competition to take place from October-November that would last roughly 6 weeks that would be rather different from what we normally do during the normal DCPI seasons. This third season, which I'm calling the "DCPI World Cup Tournament" would be a different type of competition. Rather than have a bunch of corps compete at various shows based on a drum corps touring schedule, this tournament would have individual corps be seeded into pools and have head-to-head matchups against each other using older DCI data than what we typically use during the DCPI seasons. The winner of each head to head matchup would score points, ala soccer's World Cup, and the winning corps from each pool would advance to a bracket-style single elimination tournament, where the head-to-head matchups would continue until there's one eventual winner.

This is something I'm willing to put the time into organizing if there's enough interest. Ideally I would need at least 32 directors to make it worth doing. If you're interested in something like this, post a reply or shoot me a PM.

I'm game!

Tentatively in. What sort of time commitment are we looking at? That's the middle/end of marching band season, and I know a lot of DCP-I directors are very busy participating or instructing in H.S. bands across the country during that time.

Ok I posted this in the other space...

Sounds interesting. Kind of like what we saw when they matched up Cadets shows through the years and made a bracket. I assume we would have a pool of certain # of match-ups and then get into single elimination bracket?

I am game for this as long as we treat this TOTALLY separate from our normal Winter and Summer seasons.

I'll try to post/email out details tomorrow.

As far as the caption selections go, it would be using corps from several seasons ago, and only finalist corps from those years, so there would be a reduced point salary available. I don't want to give anything away just yet, but suffice to say it would bring in some corps as caption choices that have never been used in DCPI before.

There would be a pool of individual matchups before the bracket tournament starts. Ideally, every corps in each pool of four would get one head-to-head matchup with every other corps in that pool.

The time commitment would be about 6 weeks, but would only involve 2-3 shows per week.

Here are the tenative rules for this 3rd season that I'm proposing. Please feel free to post suggestions for additions.

DCPI World Cup Rules

Registration

The DCPI World Cup tournament is open to any registered DCP member. No prior participation in DCPI is required. Directors may register one and only one corps for the tournament, so directors who manage multiple DCPI corps may only register one of these corps for the World Cup tournament or else create a separate corps for this tournament. The tournament will start in October and run through November. The anticipated time for the tournament is 7-8 weeks and will not conflict with either the winter or summer DCPI seasons.

There is no limit on the number of corps that may register but the ideal number of corps is 32. However, I am willing and able to run the season with fewer (or more) corps.

Events will be staged at venues all over the world in North America, Central and South America, Europe, Africa and Asia to give this tournament a truly global feel.

Format

Competition consists of two stages, a pool stage and a knockout stage. Each stage will consist of a series of matches in which individual corps will compete in head-to-head competition, using a slate of captions similar to the DCPI process. The tournament will last several weeks, and each week will have a completely different slate of captions for directors to select from, using DCI results from between 1985-1993 (the Star of Indiana years).

Pool stage

In the pool stage, participating corps are sorted into pools of 4, similar to the soccer world cup format. This stage lasts for 3 weeks. In each week, corps from each pool are matched up in head to head matchups that take place over two days, using the following pairings:

Week 1: A/B, C/D

Week 2:A/C, B/D

Week 3: A/D, B/C

This way, every corps in each group matches up head to head with each other corps once during the pool stage.

Ideally, 32 corps will enter the tournament and be seeded into 8 pools of 4 corps each.

Knockout Stage

The top two scoring corps from each pool will be seeded into a single-elimination bracket format tournament (NCAA-style). With 32 corps participating, 16 corps will advance to the knockout stage, which will consist of 4 rounds (Round of 16, Round of 8, Semi-finals and Finals). Each round will take place over the course of one week, like the pool stage. The format will be the same as the pool stage, with head to head matchups between corps each week divided into two halves, and the same scoring format. The winner of each match advances to the next round of eliminations, while the loser is eliminated from the tournament, until there is a final winner.

Match and Scoring format

Each match will take place over two non-consecutive days (ie Monday/Thursday, Tues/Fri, etc). All matches will begin at 1:00 pm CST. Scores will be announced at 6:00 pm CST. Each day represents one “half” of the matchup. The corps with the highest score in a half wins that half and scores one point. If a corps wins both halves in a match, they score a bonus point (3 points for winning both halves in a match). After the second half is over, each corps’ scores from both halves are averaged together for an aggregate score. The corps with the higher aggregate score gets a point, so a corps can get a maximum of 4 points per match.

Match Scoring

Win a half: 1 point

Win both halves: 3 points

Highest average score: 1 point (aggregate)

A match can end in a draw if both corps each win one half and have the same aggregate score (possible, but extremely unlikely given the number of caption combos). In this event, each corps would receive 2 points for the match (1 point for winning a half and 1 point for aggregate score).

Tiebreaker procedures

In the event of a tie to determine which corps advance to the knockout round, the following tiebreakers will be used, in order:

1: Most halves won

2: Highest aggregate score

3: Winner of head to head matchup between those corps

4: Winner of a coin flip (best of 11 flips)

Caption Selection

For each match, directors will submit a set of captions using the same format as the DCPI seasons. Each week, a different year’s captions will be used (eg, week 1 may use 1993, week 2 may use 1991, etc.). This is determined by a random draw. Once a season has been used, it will not be repeated again. Depending on the length of the knockout stage, not all available seasons will be used. The captions available for each match will be announced 48 hours prior to the start of the match.

The caption choices will be from the years 1985-1993 (the Star of Indiana years). Only finalist corps from those seasons will be available to use. The first place corps from each season will cost 15 points, the second-place corps will cost 14 points, etc. all the way down to 4 points for the 12th place corps. Directors will have a salary of 90 points to use for each match. Exception: Since there are only 6 captions to choose from 1988-1989, the values will be 20/19/18/etc. Refer to Fromthepressbox.com’s historical score archives for specifics on how captions are presented for each season.

Captions will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis. In the event that two corps competing head-to-head submit identical captions, priority goes to the director who submitted his or her captions first. The other director will be notified to change captions prior to the start of the match and may resubmit their captions without any penalty.

Caption changes

During each competition, directors may make up to 3 caption changes between halves. All caption selections and changes must be PM’d or emailed to me before 12:00 pm CST on the day of the match. Any captions or changes submitted after that time will not be counted. If a corps does not have a set of captions available for the start of a round, they will forfeit that round.

Caption Selection

For each match, directors will submit a set of captions using the same format as the DCPI seasons. Each week, a different year’s captions will be used (eg, week 1 may use 1993, week 2 may use 1991, etc.). This is determined by a random draw. Once a season has been used, it will not be repeated again. Depending on the length of the knockout stage, not all available seasons will be used. The captions available for each match will be announced at least 48 hours prior to the start of the match.

Now THAT looks interesting. Let's give it a go. :thumbup: