Cavaliers 4th at finals?

Thank you.

Incidently (and this is between you and me)...

I liked 27th 1980 show better than BD's.

But you didn't hear that from me. *grin*

Thank you so very much! :laugh::doh::lol: Yes, between you and me is right!

I liked our show as well but boy was that Devils show fabulous!!! If it had been held just 1 week earlier ha?

They turned it on that evening, knew how to win, and we were just plain flat...when I hear that I do and don't understand it. There were many reasons for it but I wasn't flat and I don't truly know what constitutes people seeing a turned on group of people as opposed to not. BD didn't look anymore emotion than we did so I'm not sure why they blame it on a flat show. Yes the tempos might have dragged at prelims but it didn't feel that way at finals although it used to be all slow motion for me when I was on the field.

I believe they just had a better corps - they were better than great that year! Also, one particular judge had us down, down, down in VA compared to the rest of the year (I believe I'm remembering that correctly)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so very much! :laugh::lol::lol: Yes, between you and me is right!

I liked our show as well but boy was that Devils show fabulous!!! If it had been held just 1 week earlier ha?

They turned it on that evening, knew how to win, and we were just plain flat...when I hear that I do and don't understand it. There were many reasons for it but I wasn't flat and I don't truly know what constitutes people seeing a turned on group of people as opposed to not. BD didn't look anymore emotion than we did so I'm not sure why they blame it on a flat show. Yes the tempos might have dragged at prelims but it didn't feel that way at finals although it used to be all slow motion for me when I was on the field.

I believe they just had a better corps - they were better than great that year! Also, one particular judge had us down, down, down in VA compared to the rest of the year (I believe I'm remembering that correctly)

Hey, I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true.

The Blue Devils did indeed turn it on that night and they put on one heck of a show. From what I understand (and this was definatly the case on finals night) it was a dog fight between you, BD, and The Bridgemen. All three corps had, what I call "signature" shows. Those shows summed up what the corps style was. BD had their jazzy, smooth program; 27th had their great visuals and use of English music; and The Bridgemen were...well, the Bridgemen. :doh:

The 3 things I really loved about 27's show, though were:

1.) The guard's precision (especially at the rifle toss)

2.) The drum feature

3.) Danny Boy (Probably the best version)

The hornline blasted everyone out of their seats, the drumline was spot on, and the guard...well, I guess I don't have to say anything more :D

Sorry, chief. 1977-1979 (In 1978, actually, Regiment lost by only .1 of a point). You might want to check the record books BEFORE the turn of the century. :D

Good one. I had to laugh about that. I thought the topic was about Cavies finishing 4th THIS year, thus I THOUGHT that you were implying that PR finished 2nd the LAST three years. NOT 30 years ago.

Hey, I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true.

The Blue Devils did indeed turn it on that night and they put on one heck of a show. From what I understand (and this was definatly the case on finals night) it was a dog fight between you, BD, and The Bridgemen. All three corps had, what I call "signature" shows. Those shows summed up what the corps style was. BD had their jazzy, smooth program; 27th had their great visuals and use of English music; and The Bridgemen were...well, the Bridgemen. :laugh:

The 3 things I really loved about 27's show, though were:

1.) The guard's precision (especially at the rifle toss)

2.) The drum feature

3.) Danny Boy (Probably the best version)

The hornline blasted everyone out of their seats, the drumline was spot on, and the guard...well, I guess I don't have to say anything more :D

Thanks again! To tell you the truth, when I watch the video I'm not sure Spirit ended where they should have. Their hornline and drumline were top notch. But so were the other 2. I don't believe our hornline projected like BD, Spirit or B-men but I was on the field so I could be incorrect.

The edge I believe should have nudged us to the top I think should have been difficulty. That show was a hard one to march, the guard book was more difficult I think than BDs - not sure about the horn line but drums were right up there. We did win GE however I'd say a huge percentage of visuals I'm actually still finding in other sections.....unreal.

But....what can you do!!!

cadets will not be in the top 4.

cadets will not be in the top 4.

:laugh:

1997 July 4th "rankings" by score:

01 - 83.8 - BD

02 - 83.0 - Cadets

03 - 79.7 - PR

04 - 79.6 - The Cavaliers

05 - 79.3 - SCV

06 - 77.9 - Madison

07 - 75.5 - Bluecoats

08 - 74.8 - Glassmen

09 - 74.4 - Magic

10 - 73.5 - Crossmen

11 - 70.9 - BK

12 - 70.0 - Carolina Crown

1997 finals scores/placements (August 16):

01 - 98.4 - BD

02 - 97.6 - Cadets

03 - 96.9 - SCV

04 - 94.2 - PR

05 - 93.9 - Madison

06 - 93.0 - Crossmen

07 - 92.8 - The Cavaliers

08 - 90.0 - Glassmen

09 - 88.2 - BK

10 - 85.7 - Magic

11 - 85.6 - Bluecoats

12 - 85.0 - Carolina Crown

++

so... pointing out the obvious, of course... anything can happen the last 6 weeks of a season! (which is always an exciting time) I know others are saying similar stuff and we all know anything can happen... but this was just a year in particular I remember getting all shifted towards the end, especially in the middle there, as you can see.

And talking about SCV this year... I wouldn't count them out of anything. They might be "ranked" lower but whatever... it's still "early"!

Of course, let's not forget SCV, who placed second FOUR straight times (85-88) and a total of 7 Silver Medals before finally bringing home a title (although they had titles before) . Oh yeah, the second place corps that time around? Phantom. :)

1977, a small little high school stadium in Boulder, Colorado the day before pre-lims in Denver. Phantom in their "Scrubbing Bubbles" helmets and a great show. It doesn't get better than that, drum corps with the Rocky Mountains as your back drop.

I agree it is a great year for performances. While I am pleased with Crown"s season because my son is marching, and because they are a great group of people, I am equally excited with the tight race(pun intended) that has developed. Pasedena should be a blast.

Good one. I had to laugh about that. I thought the topic was about Cavies finishing 4th THIS year, thus I THOUGHT that you were implying that PR finished 2nd the LAST three years. NOT 30 years ago.

Salright :-)

No harm, no foul.

I see cadets,bd,and the bluecoats over the cavaliers.

I know everybody is frazzled by the bluecoats beating the cavs the other night. however, if any corps is going to come on strong at the end of the season, it'll be the cavs, and i doubt they will let losing become a habit especially after the last 6 seasons. let's not forget phantom either, who was very close to overtaking the cavs last year in finals and who are a few weeks from surging imo.