Controversial Shows

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it was the 1971 (?) Garfield Cadets that made quite a stir at the VFW Championships when a part of their drill included the peace sign.

Suncoast Sound 1984

Although other corps had included certain elements of controversy, Suncoast's 84 show was all about the 60's and the peace movement. It created quite a stir at the time, seeing as how the cold war was still in full swing at that point.

I believe it was the 1971 (?) Garfield Cadets that made quite a stir at the VFW Championships when a part of their drill included the peace sign.

Yes, the year was 1971 and the Cadets ( called Garfield Cadets then ) had as their theme that year " No More War ! " that featured in the drill design visual a peace sign. As you can imagine, this did not go over too well with many in attendance at the VFW Nationals that year.

Ironically, it was the Cadets that did a very patriotic themed show a few years back that some fans thought was pandering in wake of the 911 attack earlier that year. 'Guess controversy is not something foreign to the Cadets.

Edited by X DM

Yes, the year was 1971 and the Cadets ( called Garfield Cadets then ) had as their theme that year " No More War ! " that featured in the drill design visual a peace sign. As you can imagine, this did not go over too well with many in attendance at the VFW Nationals that year.

No, I can't imagine that it did, but I suppose it was things of that nature that led to the creation of DCI.

But, they couldn't get too upset about it. After all...the peace sign is a symmetrical shape :)

No, I can't imagine that it did, but I suppose it was things of that nature that led to the creation of DCI.

But, they couldn't get too upset about it. After all...the peace sign is a symmetrical shape :)

The reasons for separation from the VFW and the formation of DCI was not politically motivated however. It was primarily financially driven. 7 corps wanted more of the revenue share from the VFW who balked at that. And those Corps decided to break away in unison and form their own organization that would give them more say in the revenue sharing. ( and other areas like input in judging criteria, and standardization of judging sheets, etc )

Edited by X DM

The reasons for separation from the VFW and the formation of DCI was not politically motivated however. It was primarily financially driven. 7 corps wanted more of the revenue share from the VFW who balked at that. And those Corps decided to break away in unison and form their own organization that would give them more say in the revenue sharing. ( and other areas like input in judging criteria, and standardization of judging sheets, etc )

Well, yeah, I know that; but I also know that many corps felt restricted under VFW rules and wanted to have more creative leeway.

I had heard that 1991 Santa Clara Vanguard (Miss Saigon) left some people upset at the portrail of the musical. Im not sure but I had heard the big Flag they used at the end had been changed to show part of the American flag.

Also in 1991, I heard that Phantom Regiments guard had be asked to change some of there choreography (sp?) in there closing peace (Samson and Delilah) because it was too seductive. I watch that show.. and I think its nothing compared to what some guards do now.

I could be wrong on both accounts.. so if I am let me know

Also Cadets I think in 84/ 85 did a vocal Amen at the end of there show which caused them a penalty because no vocals, at all, were allowed at the time. Cadets at finals that year had a sign saying no Amen due to the penalty (not exact frase).

I had heard that 1991 Santa Clara Vanguard (Miss Saigon) left some people upset at the portrail of the musical. Im not sure but I had heard the big Flag they used at the end had been changed to show part of the American flag.

Also in 1991, I heard that Phantom Regiments guard had be asked to change some of there choreography (sp?) in there closing peace (Samson and Delilah) because it was too seductive. I watch that show.. and I think its nothing compared to what some guards do now.

I could be wrong on both accounts.. so if I am let me know

Also Cadets I think in 84/ 85 did a vocal Amen at the end of there show which caused them a penalty because no vocals, at all, were allowed at the time. Cadets at finals that year had a sign saying no Amen due to the penalty (not exact frase).

I think the Cadets "Amen" was 1979. In '84, they did a bit of singing, though.

Suncoast Sound '88: "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble"

From the Suncoast Web site: Pushing the envelope again in 1988, Suncoast produced another original show entitled "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child - written for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble," composed by Robert Smith. It was a conceptual show, depicting how children imitate adults and later, as adults, play children's games. The musically and visually challenging show placed the corps in 10th place at finals.