Controversial Shows

I don't recall the Star of Indiana " being booed " at all in 1993, although I 've heard this said repeatedly in a number of posts the last few years on this site. Star's crowd response ( in the few shows I attended in the East ) was mostly muted at worst, and definately respectful at the several shows it which I attended . Might this alleged wholesale " booing of Star " be a simple case of revisionist history ie an urban myth or did Star's shows actually receive " booing " in other regions of the country that year that I'm unaware of ?

Yes! I was on tour with Delta Brigade in the south east, and they did about 4 shows with us. I also saw them 3 times in Jackson. They were booed. It should not have happened, but, sadly it did. For 1993, it was WAY out there in terms of design and where the activity was at the time. As it turned out, what an incredible show.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall the Star of Indiana " being booed " at all in 1993, although I 've heard this said repeatedly in a number of posts the last few years on this site. Star's crowd response ( in the few shows I attended in the East ) was mostly muted at worst, and definately respectful at the several shows it which I attended . Might this alleged wholesale " booing of Star " be a simple case of revisionist history ie an urban myth or did Star's shows actually receive " booing " in other regions of the country that year that I'm unaware of ?

Incidentally, I still don't like '93 Star all that much. The musical finale was cool, and the mellophone parts were some of the best I've ever heard played, but the musical presentation was nothing special, although performed technically very well. Again, just my opinion and personal choice of " enjoyment ". But " booing " ? Never saw or heard it in '93.

I remember them getting booed.....a lot. This is not revisionist history. We went up against them often enough to hear the boos at retreat (ah, retreat, how I miss thee), so....this is not an urban myth.

Not to open anything up on myself, just answering the original question. There were some eyebrows raised in 1994 Cadets during Maria where the guard coupled up and one couple was two men and another was two women. I love that show, and fortunately got to see it many times that year. I didn't think much of it, but I remember others commenting on that part of the show.

Incidentally, I still don't like '93 Star all that much. The musical finale was cool, and the mellophone parts were some of the best I've ever heard played, but the musical presentation was nothing special, although performed technically very well. Again, just my opinion and personal choice of " enjoyment ". But " booing " ? Never saw or heard it in '93.

Star was indeed booed at '93 shows. Not all of them I attended, but some of them: especially when they won (which they did a lot that year). 1993 was the first year I started getting into drum corps big time, and I went to a ton of shows that year, and I can tell you without a doubt that Star was indeed booed at some shows, specifically during retreats (I don't recall if anyone booed them while they were marching off the field).

One poster commented on the 'intentions' of the design for Star 1993. Here are words from Bill Cook about the intetions, as taken from his website http://www.cookgroup.com/star/ :

"For Jim, 1992 was a pivotal year because the show was designed for a broad audience appeal and the result was a hostile crowd. At that time, he decided to explore different directions. His frustrations led him to the 1993 Medea program because he wanted to give the organization a vehicle where they would be in control of their performance from beginning to end.

Looking back at Medea, there were no opportunities for the audience to react until the show was over. This concept made some of the audience uncomfortable and created even more controversy. I guess that was Jim's vengeance."

also

"...the music was to be arranged to enrage and anger. It was not supposed to be sweet and lilting. Suffice it to say, the audience responded properly but the raw discordant sound grated on me at the beginning of the season--I was irritated after each performance."

After talking to some people who marched in 1993, it was made clear that this show was designed to give a reason for audience members to be hostile, and thus for that time was probably designed to cause controversy.

** on a different note...

Another show I can think of that was controvesial was Cadets 1991. During their ballad that year, there was an African American male who danced with a caucasion female. I believe that some people were not hyped at the interracial couple interaction. I could be wrong, as it's been a long time. But I kind of remember hearing people that marched that year that there were some regions where this was not popular.

Star got booed in 92 and even more 93. In 93 their show was a big F-U to DCI and drum corps fans, so people felt more freely about booing them back, it was a hostile show, almost like them booing the audience. Most peole knew that Star was up to, few were suprised when they left DCI. Funny how so many have latched onto that show and think it’s the way drum corps should be, some kind of sick joke if you ask me, or maybe its just the self hating bandos being all emo because they can’t fit in normal society (I hear that is back to this year as a big show theme)

Anyway – not at the time but looking back – I have to say some of the VK magical mystery tour shows may be controversial - really, the ‘cultural’ stereotypes they play up in them would not even be attempted today. I saw them recently after not seeing them since they were preformed ands it was a bit much to say the least – but at the time, there were well received

Star got booed in 92 and even more 93. In 93 their show was a big F-U to DCI and drum corps fans, so people felt more freely about booing them back, it was a hostile show, almost like them booing the audience. Most peole knew that Star was up to, few were suprised when they left DCI. Funny how so many have latched onto that show and think it’s the way drum corps should be, some kind of sick joke if you ask me, or maybe its just the self hating bandos being all emo because they can’t fit in normal society (I hear that is back to this year as a big show theme)

Anyway – not at the time but looking back – I have to say some of the VK magical mystery tour shows may be controversial - really, the ‘cultural’ stereotypes they play up in them would not even be attempted today. I saw them recently after not seeing them since they were preformed ands it was a bit much to say the least – but at the time, there were well received

But...what do you really think, cowtown?

And I gotta say...I REALLY can't go with you about VK; but you've got your opinions.

Edited by dccorpsfan

Wow. I really didn't see Star of Indiana's 1993 show as a big expletive to DCI and the fans. In fact, at the shows that I attended that year where Star was present, the kids were all smiling widely at the audience (during the encore) as if to say, "We're glad you're here. Check out this awesome music" and then, they blew us away with their wall of sound (eventually lol). Some people just didn't like the Star of Indiana, whether it be jelousy or envy or whatever. It's just too bad we lost them as a drumcorps...

Edited by Cardman