This looks like a nice place for DCA

A senior corps in Illinois would be nice.

How about one smack dab in the middle of Indiana. In a place loaded with BOA talent, between two states loaded with junior corps talent, and in an area proven to support all the pagentry arts.

Oh to dream. :rock:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should end all arguments...

colosseo2.jpgcolosseum.gif

colosseo.jpg

Losers Non-winners are thrown to the lions B)

Edited by skajerk

Where should I insert it? :P

You guys who are from corps that are actual, you know, corps might want to check with your corps directors before insulting the hosts.

It's pretty sad. The senior activity has grown to the point where you're actually spoiled.

Get together and put in your bid for (Insert BCS Bowl stadium name here).

We use to DREAM of days when we could draw 9000 to DCA finals, and fantasize about the day when we could attract Class A Corps and Mini-Corps from all over the country, and have Finals Videos done in stadia with actual freakin' TV calibre lighting.

Trust me 20 years ago DCA would have been just fine with an 6 corps circuit, with finals held at the Vince Lombardi Service Stop on the NJ Turnpike.

Everyone knows that drum corps fans only exist in the northeastern states. Also the midwest is someplace that no one would ever travel to for a world championship. It's too flat. Sorry to say, it's a done deal: DCA can only be in the northeastern states (PA or NY, to be exact). And moving the championship up to a weekend that doesn't coincide with football or the start of school is strictly forbidden. These rules will never change, so don't even go there. Nothing personal, it's just too convenient for some to never change. See you all in Rochester 2014.

Well Smoothy:

Back in the 60s, and 70s, while Senior Drum Corps all but Died off West of Pennsylvania and South of Maryland. DCA (aka Corps in the North East) kept going. Govies kept the lamp lit and MBI started. But other than them, in the 80s there was almost Nothing outside the North East. That could Explain the better chance at getting people in the seats at a DCA show in the NE. Then even in the NE during the 90s. Changes were made in Equipment and the "All Age" thing was started to keep things going. Those TWO changes made it possible for other areas to become part of the Senior/All Age DCA World. Both Changes for the GOOD, I would say.

Now let me say. I do agree that the Championships should go outside the NE as soon as possible. Places that might be able to put Locals in some seat, along with some New DCI fans that never had the chance to see the Championships. Yes (to whoever it was) Murfreesboro. A place like that might just be the right place. Or maybe Nashville,TN or Canton, Ohio.

Now as to the date. Labor Day was chosen long ago to make sure that the ADULTS that have jobs and family's etc would be able to attend the LONG week end of activities. It also gave groups that must travel more time to get there and back. School and Football had nor should be any reason to change the date. If that is a problem keep going to DCI that is what they are set up for. (and how convenient for you. right there in Indianapolis for the next 10 years after this year!) How about you hold a nice Big Regional in say Chicago, Cleveland, Madison, or Minneapolis. Lets see how you do attendance wise. then get back to DCA and show them, "How Great things were and all!"

(Also just so you can be aware. My wife and I attend DCA Championships every year. We traveled form Florida tha last 3 years. I only go and see two things. Prelims so I can get the chance to see all those corps from all over the World (Yes Inspires from Japan were there once.) and the USA. What a thrill to see Kilts, MBI, Govies, Renegades, Frontier, CorpsVets, Dream, Lakeshore on and on. Yes I did last year too. Wind, Rain and all. (Ones I will not see at a show like I am going to this week in Clifton,NJ. Yes I will be driving up from Georgia. Where I live now )

Then I also take part in the Alumni Classic.

Ya know, folks . . .

It's just not that simple. DCA needs to do whatever it is that preserves DCA. The DCA Championship is a huge event, yet it is an event that is difficult to place. I can assure you, Gil Silva and DCA are doing everything they can to ensure their product's continued existence.

To those who have a problem with a permanent geographic location, I say, think about the Little League World Series that will ALWAYS be in Williamsport, PA, the Kentucky Derby that will ALWAYS be at Churchill Downs, The Masters that will ALWAYS be at Augusta, the Indy 500 that will ALWAYS be in Indianapolis. DCA is what it is, a northeastern United States event. Come join in!

Alternative locations throughout a 12 state area HAVE been researched within the context of what is best for DCA. Afterall, what is best for DCA (in its entirety) is the only goal. If any of you have a better suggestion for DCA's main event (with a confident, almost guaranteed) payoff to the corps, please speak up.

It's all about the numbers working for as many all-age corps possible. Is that such a bad objective?

:)

I don't think you got my message. It's all good. The DCA championships will never change and it's OK. Change is scary and being in a place that result in a predictable event is fine. It's sad that others outside of the NE think they have the answers because it's a done deal. It will always be in the NE, it will always be in a baseball or soccer stadium, and it will also be a hastle for college students who go back to school either before or during that weekend. It's OK. Just go out to Rochester and enjoy, just don't try to rationalize it. It's always been there and always will, no reasoning as to why is necessary.

I don't think you got my message. It's all good. The DCA championships will never change and it's OK. Change is scary and being in a place that result in a predictable event is fine. It's sad that others outside of the NE think they have the answers because it's a done deal. It will always be in the NE, it will always be in a baseball or soccer stadium, and it will also be a hastle for college students who go back to school either before or during that weekend. It's OK. Just go out to Rochester and enjoy, just don't try to rationalize it. It's always been there and always will, no reasoning as to why is necessary.

It's been here twice in the last 30 years.

And really, with 1996 being in a baseball stadium and last year having prelims washout, we really don't feel like we've had a chance to do one good one yet.

A senior corps in Illinois would be nice.

I have always wondered with Madison, Chicago and Rockford being so close by with huge Junior Corp attraction why there isnt an All Age Corp in Ill. The only real all age corps in the Midwest is in Minneapolis. I know Prairie Sound is in the works down in KC trying to field a corp. Other then that its pretty quite out there. I hopefully soon will be moving to Chicago for career advancement and I am going to miss not having an option to march anywhere close by :(. Any corp fanatics in the Chicago/Rockford area ready team together and form a corp in the chicago area? I know there are the chicago Royal Airs but there more of an alumni old school tradition holding corp.

What about bringing one of these guys back? Or any names for a new corp?

Berwyn Thunderbirds from Berwyn, IL

Chicago Connection from Chicago, IL

Chicago Diplomats from Chicago, IL

Chicago Vanguard Sr. from Chicago, IL

Knights of Light from Chicago, IL

Men of Brass from McHenry, IL

Red Devils from McHenry, IL

Rockford Eagles from Rockford, IL

Edited by marimbadude84

w/Stp: