Scoring? What is going on.

Just to clarify -- field visual and field brass judges are still on the field, even now. The change only affected the field percussion judges.

Correction again... All visual Judges were in the stands as well. They just moved to the field on the 5th. So now the percussion and visual performance judges are on the field with the brass judge who was unaffected by the change.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:tic:Who are you ruag8tr2? You say you miss me but didn't say who you were. I'm sure i miss you too. I miss it all but I'm living a different life now that is for sure. We will always be fans. I'm just going to miss teal whenthey come through virginia in a few weeks. That's where i'm out of. I'll be watching the live broadcast of quarterfinals at the movie theater though. It's going to be great. I'm definately going through DCI withdrawl. :unsure:

BUT, I have seen scores in a specific GE caption dropping 2 points one night, then rising 2.5 points the next.

It's interesting to read the complaints when scores are stable (slotting!!), then complaints when they aren't. So, would people prefer the judges to just call it like they see it, or be "trained" how the scores should be? When is it consistency, and when is it slotting?

It's consistent when you see the scores flutuate slightly, getting better show after show, which is almost always what the corps performances are doing.

It's slotting when the same corps seem to always be in the same positions, despite turnovers in performers and staff.

It takes an act of congress for a corps to jump a slot or two.

"It's early", you say. Don't worry so much about the scores.

But the scores determine the order of appearance in a show, which contributes to the score (you will argue this).

It's really odd that this ART FORM is judged the way it is.

It's a little like saying Van Gogh was better than Picasso because his brush strokes went to the left.

This ART FORM should be judged much less objectively, with the human element mitigated. Bring back ticks?

I once overheard a discussion from some instructors who said the judge reduced their score because of the lack of "artistic content".

Bwhaaa?

There is no caption for artistic content, is there?

But judges (being human) are swayed by their own personal preferences, which tend to be a little more "high brow" than your average audience member.

It's the reason for the big argument about "popular content" versus "artistic content".

Corps like the Bridgemen and VK tried to break this, but (my opinion) had less-than-hoped-for results.

But I digress...........

It's consistent when you see the scores flutuate slightly, getting better show after show, which is almost always what the corps performances are doing.

That presupposes that judges never make mistakes, that they can't have differences of opinion, that the early scores were done correctly, that there completely objective measures on which to base the numbers, that the judges know what the previous scores were and how much the corps has improved relative to the previous score, and would take all of THOSE factors into how they score the corps they see. Hmm, sounds like slotting.