Scoring? What is going on.

In light on what some (that have seen several shows) have said, I will agree that Spartans are better than Teal right now. However, I was never questioning that they are (currently better). What I am (and still question) is the inconsistent scoring on these shows. Beaker (miss you, man) shows it in his post about the scores. I guess I am old school but I can't see score jumps like this (even early in the season) are justified for any corps. I think the psyche of the kids has to be messed up when they are being judged all over the place. Even if Teal jumps another 7 points on their next show I will continue to say that the scoring is inconsistent at the D2-3 level. Show me the same types of score inconsistencies in D1. There are some, but certainly not as many.

D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 16ish piont jump for revo is more than a little far fetched for me. Considering it happened in four days in which (from what I understand) one was parades and the other was a free day in chigago. Two days of good rehersal and 16 pionts. Take a look at the judges for each night. Before the huge jump revo took they were being judged by much more expirianced judges (some even the head judges of thier caption) and then a much more inexpirianced panel (many from texas) jumped them the biggest spread I have seen out of any corps in that amount of time. Now I am sure that the kids at revo are working very hard and I am not putting the corps down at all. However I have a hunch that things might be different when revo gets better judgeing.

I usually just let these kind of things go because they are as difficult to show that they are wrong and stupid as they would be to prove...but this is stupid. A conspiracy from Texas? ...really?

Revo has ony had five competitions. Like most corps, the first shows were loose, technique was poor, there were giant tears in one of the shows, and the guard didn't even have work for most of the show on the first shows. Low scores...definitely. ...and deserved.

The guard had the same judge (Kyle Miller) at the Lacrosse show on jun 30 as at the EauClaire show on the 7th of July. This judge gave a 9.7 on Jun 30, then a 14.6 on July 7... I don't know what state this person is from, but if it is a "Texas thing" that caused the higher score on 7-7, what caused the low score on the earlier show? Don't you think this one judge saw an improvement and scored it that way?

Christine Clayton has judged visual and colorguard on three of the five shows , among those their first, and again the most recent, as such, I ssume she is not one of the 'plants' from Texas, but I don't know I guess she could be, she has seemed to think that the corps was improving each time...or is that just how it works when you practice all the time?

Craig Dunn has judged three of the last five shows...but even before he got onto the 'inexperienced panel from Texas', the percussion judges were already giving the percussion decent marks.

...geez

you know...it could be that the human beings out there running between the corps have favorite states or corps...I don't know. I centainly hope it doesn't affect the judging because the whole thing would matter less and less if that became a problem.

I hope everybody does well. I wish Memphis the best and I don't have ay problem with my own allegiance to revo being known. It blows my mind that it is even possible to jump 14 points, but if you look at it, it starts to make sense. It isn't just one show to the next. It's the first early competition ,compared with a later one after putting in the whole show and working out some of the problems.

I fully expect to watch Memphis and Cap Sound and whoever else is hitting it hard for the next month to push the ceiling up on the scores and the top is going to look like the surface of a boiling pot...nothing counts until the end, but don't knock somebody down because they stand out.

Also a change for this year for Revo is that normally they do not go head to head with other D3s for a while until later in the season. This year they are and I think the judging community has been exposed to them more and the creative staff at Revo is benefitting with the information given to them. In 05 for example they didn't meet d3s until after the Texas tour.

And a lot of people are making it seem just the craziest thing to see Revo at the top in a medalist position, when in 06 they got silver and in 05 they were 4th.....this shouldn't be a shock that their score is high.

I can tell you more when I see them in San Antonio in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Musical_Spinner

Just to let anyone who didn't know, judging is a little different this year because there are no judges on the field until july 8th. All judges are either on the front sideline or in the stands.

I know this will be controversial, but I am going to say it anyway. The scoring this year is worse than it has ever been. As a card carrying member of Teal Sound's fan club I am really disheartened. There is no way that Spartans are 12 points better than Teal this week when last week They were much closer together. At the risk of being flamed (go ahead- I dont care) I am going to say that Teal is not getting a score they deserve. last year at this time, Teal was struggling and I will admit that. However, this year the corps is much bigger an stronger. Yet they are still being scored all over the place.

Not only is Teal getting a shaft, but what about Memphis? I like Revo, but a 12 point jump in four days to climb ahead of Memphis? Come on. I realize that Spartans and Revo may be the best there is out there, but I think there is something rotten in the State of Denmark...

Flame away-

D

i wont flame on you man.

yes....the scoring is very inconsistent. It kind of drives me nuts to see scores close one week and then so far apart the next. its getting on my nerves. We'll never know really until the finals when each corps has the same judge. heres a thought tho.....

if the cavaliers did the exact same show as mandarins, would the cavaliers score ANY higher just because they are the cavaliers?????

Just to let anyone who didn't know, judging is a little different this year because there are no judges on the field until july 8th. All judges are either on the front sideline or in the stands.

judging might be different...but that shouldnt explain why the scores are close one night anf far apart the next.....

Correction after July 4th

And when judges get closer I can't imagine it helping scores all that much

Correction after July 4th

And when judges get closer I can't imagine it helping scores all that much

yup.

Just to clarify -- field visual and field brass judges are still on the field, even now. The change only affected the field percussion judges.

Just to clarify -- field visual and field brass judges are still on the field, even now. The change only affected the field percussion judges.

I've no idea about other shows, but only one judge on the field at Westminster. I don't know what he was judging.