Brigadiers. Hmmm. Simply the biggest puzzle of the night. Playing a show that mirrors 1994 & 1995 Blue Devils "My Spanish Heart". Ambitious? That would be a charitable description. The required brass technique from an individual standpoint is challenging; from an ensemble standpoint it is extreme. The corps had too many breakdowns in attack/release, clarity and ensemble cohesiveness to be effective. This must be addressed because this show requires so much emotion to be sold properly. Emotion is un-deliverable where the technical foundation is lacking. Drums, while playing many notes in the battery, were often marginalized in the musical score to the point of making no discernible contribution.

I have been told by a member of the Brigadiers that I am a person of low character and cowardice who wrote a review of the Brigadiers that is just plain wrong. So, I take it back...

POINT BY POINT, since I am just plain wrong, it appears:

they are NOT playing My Spanish Heart.

the show apparently is NOT ambitious.

the show offers little challenge to the individual brass members let alone the ensemble.

it was played to NEAR PERFECTION with no breakdowns in attack/release, clarity or ensemble.

there is no need to address or clean any portion of the show.

the Drum line is deserving of a perfect 20 across all captions for their musicality and dynamics as well as support of the brass.

the ballad was terrible.

I loved it!!!

Thanks for correcting my mistake!!!!

I just wonder when an opinion in this activity can be allowed to be just that. Sigh.

BTW: "working hard" on your show doesn't make it a good show. Or maybe it does....

Sarcasm. I like your style. :)

Thanks for taking the time to review. The first reactions of people working so hard on anything is to take things personnally. Like April said, maybe after we work more on it you'll change your mind!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's the thing - as a Brigadier alumnus I actually had more of a problem with what you said about Cabs than what you said about Brigs!

Their guard is amazing this year and I don't need a Carmen running around out there to get the gestural and expressive qualities of their show!

Wow guys.... Some shows just aren't for some people calm calm, he said somethings i didn't exactly agree with too but i am grateful to hear an outsider's point of view for once!

I FOUND A PICTURE OF THE ORIGINAL CARMEN ON WIKIPEDIA!!!

But she most certainly was not "running around."

No help for the Cabs, there.

Maybe she can play a horn.

Or give her a mic and she can narrate. :P

This is all IMO.....

White Sabers- not a bad show for what they have out there. Couple of good mellos outplaying the rest of the hornline. Music not exactly recognizable, just needs a lot of practice.

Crusaders - the surprise of the night. They sure looked sharp out there and seemed to enjoy themselves, good for them, because the crowd liked it too. The guard is HUGE, but should eliminate a few before DCA to clean it up. No doubt, a force to be reconed with.....if they clean it up. Nice impacts when they needed them, can't wait to see this show later this season, its a winner when it gets clean. Should have been much closer to Brigs.

Brigadiers - again, a nice show. Love the music, but it seems a bit too hard for this hornline. People were comparing it to the years they played it, which is a mistake. Take it for what it is this year, they are young and need to water some stuff down. Otherwise, its a fair show, not a dissappointment (as most were saying)

Cabs - another nice show, but not thrilling. Guard is good, but not THAT good (IMO). Attacks and releases were off this night and you could hear the moans from the audience. Staff is rediculous at times - calm down guys - its only a show.

Otherwise, Carmen is a great drum corps show no matter what. The way they get the 'Rumps' in there is great, the audience couldn't wait for it. Nice show, but should have been 2nd, but very close.

Empire - not as thrilling as I expected, but the most entertaining of the night. A couple of 'dead spots', but overall a nice show. M&M needs a lot of work, and the drill is not exciting at all. Guard is the sloppiest I've ever seen this corp, surprised here!! "Taps", although a nice Ferguson tune, is not good for this show.....this was a 'dead' spot. Then the show ends so abrubtly with the best charts of the night. A big powerful ending would be great here to get the crowd. Most were surprised that , that was the end of the show. Come-on guys, give the crowd a reason to stand up and scream.

Should have been 1st but close with Cabs, not that rediculous spread. The spread should have been between 2nd and 3rd. THAT was way too close.

Crowd was appreciative....full stands, that's what I like. Cabs victory concert was better then the field show (of course, they're in a neat semi-circle). Great way to listen to that hornline. I thought the soloists were great. Why didn't the guard do their 'thing' while the horns were playing? Isn't the guard helping with the win? They sure are, so show them off.!!

Cabs snares are all over the field and man can they play well while moving at such a big step. Guard is fantastic. Brass was not clean in the opener. Sops are draging while attempting to articulate some very tough licks. Needs a lot of work. I really miss the fantastic screamers that Cabs were always famous for. Where's Frank or Curt when you really need them. I also miss Jimmy out front.

Benny

Frank and Curt are soloing in the Alumni corps with Jimmy on the podium. We miss them all, too, but we have Michael "Gordito" Ferriera (Act I), Mike Celia (Processional Call & Toreador March in Act V), and Jose Oliva (trumpet solo in the end of Act IV and the Bull Call in Act V) as our trumpet soloists this year, and they are all doing an amazing job. :unsure::doh:

I don't think we 'really need' Curt and Frank, and they would be the first guys to tell you that passing the soloing torch to new talent is a Caballero tradition. Gordito has been soloing for Cabs since 2001, and this is the first year for both Mike and Jose.

I'll say it again, these three guys are upholding a great Caballero tradition and are playing and marching extremely well.

Bitter, party of MANY!

And everyone wants to know why no one writes reviews anymore...

If you think fans criticize your efforts because they're incompetent, you must complain about being screwed every time you don't win. Everything in this activity is subject to peoples' opinions. (including the judges') Take it for what it's worth. So will love you. Some won't. Doesn't matter who you are or where you go.

Bitter, party of MANY!

And everyone wants to know why no one writes reviews anymore...

If you think fans criticize your efforts because they're incompetent, you must complain about being screwed every time you don't win. Everything in this activity is subject to peoples' opinions. (including the judges') Take it for what it's worth. So will love you. Some won't. Doesn't matter who you are or where you go.

Not to name drop ...

(Name dropping is bad. You should NEVER name drop. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! Mikey Cesario told me that personally.)

...BUT as I was telling Empire's Joe Taylor (yes, THE Joe Taylor): Ever notice how some guys can be in the activity for 30 years and no one ever asked them to be a Show Coordinator, but once they leave the activity, they are primarily and specifically a Show Coordinator?

I hate that.

My advice to all corps: Forget the Slotters (oops, I mean Judges), and take it to the crowd. Sometimes it's more fun to be the corps that SHOULD have won.

Tom DeBalm

Rochester, NY

PS: Fire extinguishers work every time, and that is a proven fact!