But isn't that the point? The paying customers really do want to be entertained, they want to get up on thier feet. I'm not sure about other corps, but I know Empire prides ourselves on entertaining the crowd. From the looks of the reviews, it seems that many other corps are geting some great crowd reaction! Those crowd reactions aren't accedental...there must be staff out there who DO obsess over getting the fans on their feet! ^_^

Besides, I personally have more fun putting that goal in mind then stressing about the guys in the maroon polos.

Best of luck to you this season,

and to those with the review writing skills- Keep it up! B)

Heather, I was being sarcastic.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**** DCA All-Age Corps - Based on Newest Score ****

01 (01) - 80.675 (5) - Buccaneers

02 (06) - 80.375 (2) - Minnesota Brass

03 (02) - 80.238 (1) - Caballeros

04 (03) - 78.838 (1) - Empire Statesmen

05 (07) - 75.800 (1) - Brigadiers

06 (04) - 71.963 (5) - Bushwackers

07 (05) - 71.813 (3) - Renegades

08 (NR) - 70.963 (1) - Crusaders

09 (08) - 69.738 (5) - Hurricanes

10 (09) - 67.563 (5) - CorpsVets

11 (10) - 66.613 (3) - River City Regiment

12 (11) - 66.363 (6) - Kilties

13 (12) - 63.375 (8) - Frontier

14 (13) - 63.250 (3) - SoCal Dream

15 (14) - 63.250 (4) - Governaires

16 (15) - 61.150 (7) - Music City Legend

17 (16) - 60.575 (4) - Chops, Inc

18 (17) - 60.375 (8) - Gulf Coast Sound

19 (NR) - 58.100 (1) - White Sabers

Mike forgot the Lakeshoremen,............they should be in there somewhere,..........

I'm with Alan......I have always thought it kind of silly (not that Alan was saying it was silly) to try and tell a story in 10 or 12 minutes on the field. I mean......if I am a movie critic I tick movies for rushing character relationships etc etc....when I watch a drum corps show I go for the music. Play 5 pieces, songs, tunes, whatever you want that don't have anything to do with one another and I'll be just as happy. I enjoyed Chas Stewart's response "as far as I know my show doesn't tell a story".

Once again........good review.

I hear ya. Maybe an apples-to-apples comparison won't be possible until Salem but it's still fun to look at the "standings."

(It's like early season football. Giants fans love to see their team ranked ahead of Dallas and Washington even if they haven't met them on the field yet that season.)

Here are the DCA Standings as reported today by Michael Del Corso (thanks, Mike):

**** DCA All-Age Corps - Based on Newest Score ****

01 (01) - 80.675 (5) - Buccaneers

02 (06) - 80.375 (2) - Minnesota Brass

03 (02) - 80.238 (1) - Caballeros

04 (03) - 78.838 (1) - Empire Statesmen

05 (07) - 75.800 (1) - Brigadiers

06 (04) - 71.963 (5) - Bushwackers

07 (05) - 71.813 (3) - Renegades

08 (NR) - 70.963 (1) - Crusaders

09 (08) - 69.738 (5) - Hurricanes

10 (09) - 67.563 (5) - CorpsVets

11 (10) - 66.613 (3) - River City Regiment

12 (11) - 66.363 (6) - Kilties

13 (12) - 63.375 (8) - Frontier

14 (13) - 63.250 (3) - SoCal Dream

15 (14) - 63.250 (4) - Governaires

16 (15) - 61.150 (7) - Music City Legend

17 (16) - 60.575 (4) - Chops, Inc

18 (17) - 60.375 (8) - Gulf Coast Sound

19 (NR) - 58.100 (1) - White Sabers

-------

(1) = 07/07/07 - Rochester, NY (DCA)

(2) = 07/07/07 - Eau Claire, WI (DCI)

(3) = 07/01/07 - Modesto, CA (DCA)

(4) = 07/01/07 - Stillwater, MN (DCI)

(5) = 06/30/07 - Bridgeport, CT (DCA)

(6) = 06/30/07 - Kalamazoo, MI (DCI)

(7) = 06/25/07 - Russellville, AL (DCI)

(8) = 06/24/07 - Bedford, TX (DCA)

:worthy:

does anyone know what the #'s in parenthesis represent ? anyone ?

Corresponds with which show they were in (as represented by a number below).

I love that old gag,....................wouldn't be as cool if someone grabbed the wrong one and covered everyone with powder,........................

:sshh: That actually happened in Rochester yesterday at a deltasonic car wash!......apparently the gas pump safety system malfunctioned in the heatwave and doused the people trying to get gas! Made the 6 pm news! :worthy:

Wait, I thought I was Carmen! :)

Just a fantasy, but I can tell you when we play this show, I feel all the characters. It's a gorgeous production and I am sure we will keep adding to it every week.

I also really appreciate the reviews - complimentary or not so complimentary, they always make me work just a bit harder. Thanks for taking the time.

Carmen

(I mean Marianne)

Edited by sophillycab

I am enjoying your writing/posts more and more. I seem to be agreeing with you more and more too. Maybe we can incorporate and form our own Slotters group.

Only one problem with your theory:

What if a corps really WANTS to waste their summer obsessing over how to teach ballet moves to monster brass players just so some promotional corporate coffee mug salesman who happens to be Slotting Visual Analysis can give them an extra tenth of a point for enhancing the integrity and sophistication of the rhythmic angularity of their visual vocabulary?

Your idea would give an unfair advantage to corps that actually try to appeal to the paying customer. DCA staffs would have to waste their time obsessing over ways to get the fans on their feet.

Then what would the Slotter Groupies do?

And by the way - as a fan, I got more bang for my buck at the Rochester DCA show than I did at the East Amherst - Drums Along The Office Parks show.

Tom DeBaum

Rochester, NY

PS: For the record, I'm a big fan of promotional corporate coffee mugs.

the first set of parens is the corps' previous position before the latest update. On this last list, Minnesota Brass is ranked second, up from 6th.

As ANYDL pointed out, the last set of parens corresponds to the list of shows at the bottom, where the corps' most recent score was achieved.

Wait, I thought I was Carmen! :)

Just a fantasy, but I can tell you when we play this show, I feel all the characters. It's a gorgeous production and I am sure we will keep adding to it every week.

I also really appreciate the reviews - complimentary or not so complimentary, they always make me work just a bit harder. Thanks for taking the time.

Carmen

(I mean Marianne)

I'll fight you for it, and so will Jesse in the guard... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P