Here's an idea...let's turn the DCA's into a "clap" show...judges (slotters if you will) can rank the corps with adjectives...Superior, Excellent, Very Good and Good. Everyone will get a participation trophy and enjoy a giant group hug on retreat!!

Only one problem with your theory:

What if a corps really WANTS to waste their summer obsessing over how to teach ballet moves to monster brass players just so some promotional corporate coffee mug salesman who happens to be Slotting Visual Analysis can give them an extra tenth of a point for enhancing the integrity and sophistication of the rhythmic angularity of their visual vocabulary?

Your idea would give an unfair advantage to corps that actually try to appeal to the paying customer. DCA staffs would have to waste their time obsessing over ways to get the fans on their feet.

Then what would the Slotter Groupies do?

And by the way - as a fan, I got more bang for my buck at the Rochester DCA show than I did at the East Amherst - Drums Along The Office Parks show.

Tom DeBaum

Rochester, NY

PS: For the record, I'm a big fan of promotional corporate coffee mugs.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea...let's turn the DCA's into a "clap" show...judges (slotters if you will) can rank the corps with adjectives...Superior, Excellent, Very Good and Good. Everyone will get a participation trophy and enjoy a giant group hug on retreat!!

Everyone's a winner!

:worthy:

Puppies and rainbows all around!

Your idea would give an unfair advantage to corps that actually try to appeal to the paying customer. DCA staffs would have to waste their time obsessing over ways to get the fans on their feet.

But isn't that the point? The paying customers really do want to be entertained, they want to get up on thier feet. I'm not sure about other corps, but I know Empire prides ourselves on entertaining the crowd. From the looks of the reviews, it seems that many other corps are geting some great crowd reaction! Those crowd reactions aren't accedental...there must be staff out there who DO obsess over getting the fans on their feet! ^_^

Besides, I personally have more fun putting that goal in mind then stressing about the guys in the maroon polos.

Best of luck to you this season,

and to those with the review writing skills- Keep it up! B)

Thank you very much for the review it was clear and concise and very well written, if one can’t take criticism they need to find another activity to be involved in. All of the corps are working very hard to put out the best possible show for the fans and the judges. And as they say anything can happen on any given Saturday or Sunday.

To clear up one observation regarding “Carmen” We are playing music from Carmen. It’s not reasonable to think any corps with 10 minutes to perform could tell a story that needed 2 and half plus hours to develop on stage.

Thanks again I hope you get a chance to see the shows progress during the season.

Please keep witting your reviews you are very knowledgeable with great recall, I have problems remembering what I had for breakfast.

What's up, Alan Katz?

I appreciate your post and am a sincere fan of the Cabs (Jimmy R. was the reason I got into drum corps in 1978 b/c my mom thought he was "hot". How special it was in 94 when I got to attend his induction into WDHOF and have him sign a photo. Pretty cool.)

I feel compelled to dispute a point that you might want to reconsider. I think it is totally reasonable for a corps to tell a story in 10 minutes that took 2 1/2 hrs to develop on stage.

Any Broadway is storytelling...Phantom of the Opera (SCV / Empire)...here's the good guy...here's the bad guy...here's the pretty girl...everyone says "oh that's so sad"....company front....here's the trophy.

Empire 98...West Side Story. Here's Tony...here's Maria...Tony gets shot by Chino ...Maria is bummed...Company front....here's the trophy.

And if we are playing exerpts, here's the thing: the music tells a story. This happens whether or not Carmen is "running around the field".

If the music, the marching, the expressiveness, (really: the presentation) fails to capture the essence of the story, the emotion, the tragedy...it misses the mark. The story demands to be told. For the audience, it needs to be told.

The corps didn't pick Carmen for Carmen's sake. The Caballeros picked Carmen so they could make 'em stand and cheer. The M&M design is right there (includes guard). The drumming is right there (think I touched on that before). But there's a reason Empire won horns and GE. The Carmen show has to find it's way across the sideline. Saturday? When measured against 06? When measured against Cab expectations? It just didn't happen. Sorry bout that.

P.S. Too many posts make it look more like an ego trip than a conversation or discussion. SOOO: I am going to leave the Rochester show behind and, given the spirited repartee I have disgorged, look forward to my next review (which will be Pasadena QTRS, then DCA Prelims!) I bet none of you can wait!!

Simon says...horns up!

"M&M design".....you're killing me!

What's up, Alan Katz?

I appreciate your post and am a sincere fan of the Cabs (Jimmy R. was the reason I got into drum corps in 1978 b/c my mom thought he was "hot". How special it was in 94 when I got to attend his induction into WDHOF and have him sign a photo. Pretty cool.)

I feel compelled to dispute a point that you might want to reconsider. I think it is totally reasonable for a corps to tell a story in 10 minutes that took 2 1/2 hrs to develop on stage.

Any Broadway is storytelling...Phantom of the Opera (SCV / Empire)...here's the good guy...here's the bad guy...here's the pretty girl...everyone says "oh that's so sad"....company front....here's the trophy.

Empire 98...West Side Story. Here's Tony...here's Maria...Tony gets shot by Chino ...Maria is bummed...Company front....here's the trophy.

And if we are playing exerpts, here's the thing: the music tells a story. This happens whether or not Carmen is "running around the field".

If the music, the marching, the expressiveness, (really: the presentation) fails to capture the essence of the story, the emotion, the tragedy...it misses the mark. The story demands to be told. For the audience, it needs to be told.

The corps didn't pick Carmen for Carmen's sake. The Caballeros picked Carmen so they could make 'em stand and cheer. The M&M design is right there (includes guard). The drumming is right there (think I touched on that before). But there's a reason Empire won horns and GE. The Carmen show has to find it's way across the sideline. Saturday? When measured against 06? When measured against Cab expectations? It just didn't happen. Sorry bout that.

P.S. Too many posts make it look more like an ego trip than a conversation or discussion. SOOO: I am going to leave the Rochester show behind and, given the spirited repartee I have disgorged, look forward to my next review (which will be Pasadena QTRS, then DCA Prelims!) I bet none of you can wait!!

Simon says...horns up!

I hear ya. Maybe an apples-to-apples comparison won't be possible until Salem but it's still fun to look at the "standings."

(It's like early season football. Giants fans love to see their team ranked ahead of Dallas and Washington even if they haven't met them on the field yet that season.)

Here are the DCA Standings as reported today by Michael Del Corso (thanks, Mike):

**** DCA All-Age Corps - Based on Newest Score ****

01 (01) - 80.675 (5) - Buccaneers

02 (06) - 80.375 (2) - Minnesota Brass

03 (02) - 80.238 (1) - Caballeros

04 (03) - 78.838 (1) - Empire Statesmen

05 (07) - 75.800 (1) - Brigadiers

06 (04) - 71.963 (5) - Bushwackers

07 (05) - 71.813 (3) - Renegades

08 (NR) - 70.963 (1) - Crusaders

09 (08) - 69.738 (5) - Hurricanes

10 (09) - 67.563 (5) - CorpsVets

11 (10) - 66.613 (3) - River City Regiment

12 (11) - 66.363 (6) - Kilties

13 (12) - 63.375 (8) - Frontier

14 (13) - 63.250 (3) - SoCal Dream

15 (14) - 63.250 (4) - Governaires

16 (15) - 61.150 (7) - Music City Legend

17 (16) - 60.575 (4) - Chops, Inc

18 (17) - 60.375 (8) - Gulf Coast Sound

19 (NR) - 58.100 (1) - White Sabers

-------

(1) = 07/07/07 - Rochester, NY (DCA)

(2) = 07/07/07 - Eau Claire, WI (DCI)

(3) = 07/01/07 - Modesto, CA (DCA)

(4) = 07/01/07 - Stillwater, MN (DCI)

(5) = 06/30/07 - Bridgeport, CT (DCA)

(6) = 06/30/07 - Kalamazoo, MI (DCI)

(7) = 06/25/07 - Russellville, AL (DCI)

(8) = 06/24/07 - Bedford, TX (DCA)

What's up, Alan Katz?

Simon says...horns up!

Wait a minute!!! I thought the Cabs were playing music from Bad News Bears 1 (which I think is now called "BNB 4: Wrath of Buttermaker").

They're playing Carmen?

All I know about that show is that when SCV did it, they had a girl dancing around.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

I hear ya. Maybe an apples-to-apples comparison won't be possible until Salem but it's still fun to look at the "standings."

(It's like early season football. Giants fans love to see their team ranked ahead of Dallas and Washington even if they haven't met them on the field yet that season.)

Here are the DCA Standings as reported today by Michael Del Corso (thanks, Mike):

**** DCA All-Age Corps - Based on Newest Score ****

01 (01) - 80.675 (5) - Buccaneers

02 (06) - 80.375 (2) - Minnesota Brass

03 (02) - 80.238 (1) - Caballeros

04 (03) - 78.838 (1) - Empire Statesmen

05 (07) - 75.800 (1) - Brigadiers

06 (04) - 71.963 (5) - Bushwackers

07 (05) - 71.813 (3) - Renegades

08 (NR) - 70.963 (1) - Crusaders

09 (08) - 69.738 (5) - Hurricanes

10 (09) - 67.563 (5) - CorpsVets

11 (10) - 66.613 (3) - River City Regiment

12 (11) - 66.363 (6) - Kilties

13 (12) - 63.375 (8) - Frontier

14 (13) - 63.250 (3) - SoCal Dream

15 (14) - 63.250 (4) - Governaires

16 (15) - 61.150 (7) - Music City Legend

17 (16) - 60.575 (4) - Chops, Inc

18 (17) - 60.375 (8) - Gulf Coast Sound

19 (NR) - 58.100 (1) - White Sabers

-------

(1) = 07/07/07 - Rochester, NY (DCA)

(2) = 07/07/07 - Eau Claire, WI (DCI)

(3) = 07/01/07 - Modesto, CA (DCA)

(4) = 07/01/07 - Stillwater, MN (DCI)

(5) = 06/30/07 - Bridgeport, CT (DCA)

(6) = 06/30/07 - Kalamazoo, MI (DCI)

(7) = 06/25/07 - Russellville, AL (DCI)

(8) = 06/24/07 - Bedford, TX (DCA)

what do the numbers in parenthesis mean ?

yeah, kinda like playing soccer without a goalie,....................

Wellsaid Laura, and I'll back you up 100% on your statements. Gordito, Jose, and Mike are ALL doing outstanding jobs, and are making us alumni VERY proud of them. ^OO^

Oh......and your not too bad yourself there Laura......you have come a LONG way in your playing, and your solo this year is nothing short of BEAUTIFUL!!! :worthy:

Thank you to all the fine soloist of the 2007 Hawthorne Caballeros. Tradition means EVERYTHING to us, and you are ALL doing a GREAT job!! :worthy:

Thank you Frank. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Wait a minute!!! I thought the Cabs were music from Bad News Bears 1 (which I think is now called "BNB 4: Wrath of Buttermaker").

They're playing Carmen?

All I know about that show is that when SCV did it, they had a girl dancing around.

We have lots of beautiful girls dancing around, and some guys, too. :P