Louisville Lounge

What's this about raising their shakos? I haven't heard of this tradition before.

Hop or whoever is there will ask, "How'd you do?" You raise your shako if you had a good show. Then he'll give his feedback of what he thought. Then we'll be dismissed and get some more feedback from our respective caption heads. Bascially, how ever many shakos are up signifies how well the corps did. Regionals and finals have a huge percentage up to give you an idea. I don't ever remember there being as few as 6/135 when I marched for a give show, but who knows and that may be an exaggeration anyway.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't able to see Troopers or Memphis tonight because I was performing the National Anthem with Derby City Knights (our first public performance!), but I generally liked the rest of the corps I saw.

Southwind, I couldn't really tell what the point of their show was supposed to be. While I could make out one guard member seemingly "left out" during most of the show, it's pretty hard to tell what their show is about. Their soloists do have a good sound though.

Glassmen had a pretty good show tonight, although their hornline still has a couple of rough moments. Also, somebody please send their biggest fan (the guy who yells "They're rocking!" at each show he goes to) a new British flag- he seemed to have misplaced his tonight.

Boston looked pretty sharp visually, but their guard had a lot of drops tonight. Musically, they've recycled part of their 2000/2003 show, which has become a fairly recognizable melody by this point.

The pace of Cavalierss isn't looking as frantic as is at past shows I've seen them this year. Visually, they never seem to run out of little things to add to their shows, but with this year's program, it seems like they can't add the musical touches to keep up with the visual ones. Also- is it me or does this show STILL not have an ending??? :laugh:

Didn't see Cadets because of a quick corps meeting at our recruiting table, but I did notice that a LOT of people seemed to think that that was a good time to visit the bathroom or concession stands.

Phantom was much more enjoyable than I expected them to be based on the APD's I've heard. Their ballad soloists do a lovely job with the Flower Duet, and the visual elements of this program are pretty good (but there's still room for improvement).

Loving the score recap

i was becoming a bit worried with phantom's scores lagging a bit...after seeing the recaps i'm definitely more confident now.

only .1 behind the Cavs in GE

beating the Cadets in Visual...thank to good CG scores

being .2 behind Cadets music and .15 ahead of Cavs. thx 2 yet another great percussion section

a few words after one viewing:

glassmen had some serious timing problems.

boston was good... not much development of the "picasso" theme.

phantom's show isn't a good enough vehicle to contend. its nice, but not *it*.

cadets were not particularly good tonight, but the horns and drums are old-school awesome.

press "mute" on the cavaliers, and it looks a lot like niagara falls, part vii. nothing new here -- nice, safe show.

hymnsong of phillip bliss was sweet.

Just got back from the show. The Cadets had an off night while The Cavaliers seemed to be on it. The crowd (high school bandos) were eating right out of the Cavies hand. The Cadets hornline is absolutely fantastic and their percussion is great. If the colorguard gets worked out this will be a tough show to beat. I have the same feeling about The Cadets that I had in 05. Definitely a top 3 corps.

Just got back from the show. The Cadets had an off night while The Cavaliers seemed to be on it. The crowd (high school bandos) were eating right out of the Cavies hand.

Yes, the noise from the crowd definitely had a distinct sound not unlike that of a 14-year old girl shrieking her head off upon seeing her favorite rock/movie star. B)

Yes, the noise from the crowd definitely had a distinct sound not unlike that of a 14-year old girl shrieking her head off upon seeing her favorite rock/movie star. B)

Oh and nice job on the Anthem (minus trumpet fraks)