Young'ins In Drum Corps

Wasn't that Mat Tomsa? His nickname was "Fetus." He is still in the brassline.

I think that is the son of Chris Tomsa & Charla Burgess-Tomsa both currently with The Colts.

I believe Chris has been involved in drum corps for 40+ straight years now.

Edited by bass5

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really does depend on where you live and what time school ends.

In New Jersey (which is where I think Up Front is from), most schools don't end until the last week of June. In southeast PA it's the middle of June. The high school I work at in Philadelphia ended on June 19th (nothing like being in a school in June with no air conditioning). I grew up in north-central PA and we were done by the first week of June.

what kinda youngun's you mean, Jim? Like these younguns:

DCP poster Dave "kansasDC"

1968_1.jpg

DCP poster Nancy "LancerFi"

Picture074.jpg

Cuz they're too modest to put themselves in this thread (or in Daves case to actually tell everyone that's HIM in his avatar! :worthy: )

You could put pictures in of yourself and your bro (who I marched with when he was all growed up), too, Jim...

How precious! :laugh:

I was a young-in in corps, but was part of a package deal with my older sister and 2 parents that were heavily involved and went on the road with the corps. I doubt in today’s drum corps, they’d be a place for me or that I’d even want to march. Sometimes I almost resent it, not for myself but for the modern version on me that I feel are cheated or won’t even have the opportunity that I had. There really is far less diversity today when the bulk of the corps are music majors

05 Cadets also had a guard girl who was 14 @ the time.

Pioneer usually has multiples in the 14-15 range. Youngest in last few years was a soprano starting at 12, next was my youngest daughter starting at 13 in the pit, pit captain at 14 (she wants to be a family/marriage counselor -- running the dysfunctional family that a pit can be should stand her well).

It happens but not as much as "back in the day".

I was 14 when I started camp with the Cavaliers but by the time the season rolled around in 76 I was 15. I started with the Cavalier Cadets at 12.

Now days, you will see prodigies in the top 4 or 5 corps because bottom line, if your good, your good. But mostly the younger kids are in the corps other then the top end of Div. 1 or Div. II/III

I happen to know of a Blue Star who marched at age 13 in 77.

I think I remember this kid. Didn't he wear a Blessed Sacrament shirt under his uniform? I remember seeing someone with a Sac shirt in their corps and remarking to him that some people would kill to get that shirt.