Did you have problems switching to a G bugle?

StarContra4-85

Im gonna get strung up for this one!

But i think Bb is far better than the G because they are so much more readily available. when i went to corps i played woodwinds, sax and flute and had to learn a brass instrument. we weren't alowed to take horns home till about april and as a result i hjad nothing to practice on. My brother lent me his Bb baritone so i coauld practice technique and all and i was even allowed to borrow one from school btu i couldnt practice my show music on it. so i took my brothers advice and hel down the 3rd valve to put the horn into G but gues what i needed that 3rd valve alot in my music so that prooved usless. I COULDN'T LEANT MY MUSIC TILL APRIL BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE A HORN! Bb is just alot more convenient to alot of people especially those who have never played brass before because you can get yout hands on it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna sting ya, but that i believe was one of the main reasons it was passed. But i didn't have an problems learnin my show on my Bb. Yeah playing Bb makes it easier for that aspect, but I like the outdoor sound of G bugles so much better than Bb horns. And to me its the sound that matters, not the availabilty, not the cost, not the easier practicing chances, etc. Its all about the mad sound to me. Now some of the big corps do pretty good with the Bb horns. But I can tell and it just sounds weird to me still. I can hear it. Mainly in the contras and sopranos. They sound the most different. But to each his own.

When did most corps switch to Bb? Can you hear the difference in sound over a recording? If so I'm going to listen to a G hornline recording and then a Bb hornline and see for my self. Any suggestions as to who I should listen to? I really wanna hear the diff for myself. Because, the thought of hearing a hornline louder than some of the corps I've hear over the past few years seems impossible.

Edited by Rookie@Spirt

No, When I joined corps I was training to become a classical trumpet player and already had experiance playing Bb, C, Eb and A trumpets when I switched to Tuba in my professional life I had to deal with BBb, CC, Eb and F...switching keys is a must for serious players anyways.

Dan Zeilinger

Impulse Brass Caption

well i can hear it from cadets 99 - 2000 listen to them. Most people don't hear it i guess. But i can tell usually.l Although its gettin harder to tell becuase some of the div I corps and newer corps that are startin Bb are buying the even bigger bore horns and ones that are built more like that old G bugles, so their tone and timbre are gettin closer and hard to tell. But cavies the last few years sounds much different than G bugles, Still unbelievably awesome, but different. From 2002, Seattle and Magic, Seattle is on G and Magic is on Bb i believe. Listen to them, since they had very similar abilities in the hornline and such.

Im gonna get strung up for this one!

But i think Bb is far better than the G because they are so much more readily available. when i went to corps i played woodwinds, sax and flute and had to learn a brass instrument. we weren't alowed to take horns home till about april and as a result i hjad nothing to practice on. My brother lent me his Bb baritone so i coauld practice technique and all and i was even allowed to borrow one from school btu i couldnt practice my show music on it. so i took my brothers advice and hel down the 3rd valve to put the horn into G but gues what i needed that 3rd valve alot in my music so that prooved usless. I COULDN'T LEANT MY MUSIC TILL APRIL BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE A HORN! Bb is just alot more convenient to alot of people especially those who have never played brass before because you can get yout hands on it.

back in the good old days, g horns were more readily available than they are now. why? because, there were more corps.

and the corps let you take home a horn the day you signed up. and you didn't have to drive 500 miles to get to your "local" corps.........

If you really listen to a Bb performance, it sounds thinner. It doesn't have the more warm, open sound like a G bugle. The reason for that is the boar (windpipe for those of you who dont know) is smaller in diameter on a Bb horn. It doesn't allow the air to move through as freely.

it didn't bother me at all. i actually like the b-flats better b/c of their warm sound and beautiful tambre. it was a nice swithc i deffinatly don't think it's for everyone tho especially those who have playing on g's forever but i only marched on a g for 1 year then the corps switched to the b-flats. Some drum corps have to keep that loud g sound we all love(phantom and troopers) and i hope some corps do keep them. The b-flats were just one thing in drum corps innovation. B)

Well for me, i marched one corps for 1 year, then at the begininng of the next season, i sort of switched corps. The first corps i marched with was raiders, and they had just switched to Bb. When i went to the other corps(Quest) they used G. At first, it was hard for me to hear my pitch cause i was used to Bb, but after 5-10 mins i got used to it and it was simple. But then i eventually went back to raiders and i like the Bb sound better its so ..... i cant even explain it.