Did you have problems switching to a G bugle?

StarContra4-85

After being away from "the activity" for about 10 years, I've been puzzled by the switch to Bb's and the perception that there was a huge problem switching to G bugles for brass players. I had friends that had problems switching to Treble Clef as contra and bari players, but picking up a G bugle for the first time wasn't a big issue as far as finding pitch or a major adjustment. Did you have any problems? If DCI were to reverse the Bb ruling, would it really make a huge difference in the activity? Can't a sax player learn to play a brass instrument if they want to? As a traditionalist first, modernist second I just hate to see drum corps turn into Blast with saxes or professional marching band.... I still love my G bugles... I'm hoping the Troopers take it all in 2003!! ^0^

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had absolutly no problem. I like m y G bugle better than my trumpet. The air flow is much nicer. Its hard fo rme to hear my first pitchs. You know sing middle C, when i have a concert Bb in my head instead, i just gotta think a third lower. And then i'm good to go. But once i'm playing, i feel or even barely hear any difference.

Didn't bother me a bit. Took about ten minuites to get used to the different pitch. Heck, in the life of legit musicians, symphonic trumpet players have to be able to switch between horns in a half-dozen different keys. It shouldn't be an issue.

being a trombone player it took me awhile to get used to valves and reading treble clef.... probably a good 6 months to be able to sight read and play without breaking timing.

My experience exactly.

No problems here beyond the first 5-10 minutes of my first few camps. Once I found the pitch, I was all good.

And whoever said that about symphonic trumpet players...playing sop sure has helped me. I can now switch trumpets from Bb to C to Eb pretty easy...generally don't play the Eb, but I can if I need to. I have also been known to play the F mellophone in pep band, but I don't like to...crazy parts go TOO LOW!!!! :rolleyes: I couldn't ever switch like that before I marched a summer on a bugle.

So it sure has helped me, don't know what the big deal with making life easier is....but oh well.

Considering all you have to do is adjust your ears to the different key, no problem at all.

Of course, I only play a G horn now... ^0^

I learned on a 2 valve soprano so I work just the opposite. It took me about 5 minutes to get the hang of a Bb trumpet.

I don't think the pitch was as much of an object for me as just adjusting to the different physics of the horn. It takes more air, and has a different construction that makes it play noticeably different than my CC tuba.