DCI Pasadena 2007 corps practice locations

Why aren't the rest of the beloved local band directors offering their facilities? The wonderful band directors DCI gives a butt kissing announcement to at every show? They steal enough of their shows from drum corps without giving any credit. Maybe it's time for them to step up to the plate and help.

I assume (hope) you are not associated with any corps. Offending band directors, as you do with your comments, is certainly not going to solve the problem. As a director that has provided housing to drum corps annually for over 25 years, I can tell you it is not an easy task and takes MUCH work on the part of the band director to make it happen.

I would also say that not all corps do their part in making a school (or band director) eager to do it again. Most of the corps we have housed were excellent "guests", but we've had a few that have created problems that would make it very easy to say NO. Some seemed to have your attitude that we were "blessed" to have them staying at our school. Those groups, by the way, are no longer welcome at our school.

You are correct in stating that some band directors have "borrowed" ideas from drum corps to use in their shows...and a few drum corps have borrowed ideas from the band world. I might point out that MANY band directors do "step up to the plate" every year in helping house drum corps. And I would also think that drum corps has also benefited from the thousands of musicians that we have helped develop in our programs. Last time I checked not many of the D1 corps were telling kids at their auditions "don't worry about it, we'll teach you how to play".

I hope that DCI realizes the value of band directors that support their activity. Maybe even a little more appreciation and "butt kissing announcements" would be nice.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume (hope) you are not associated with any corps. Offending band directors, as you do with your comments, is certainly not going to solve the problem. As a director that has provided housing to drum corps annually for over 25 years, I can tell you it is not an easy task and takes MUCH work on the part of the band director to make it happen.

I would also say that not all corps do their part in making a school (or band director) eager to do it again. Most of the corps we have housed were excellent "guests", but we've had a few that have created problems that would make it very easy to say NO. Some seemed to have your attitude that we were "blessed" to have them staying at our school. Those groups, by the way, are no longer welcome at our school.

You are correct in stating that some band directors have "borrowed" ideas from drum corps to use in their shows...and a few drum corps have borrowed ideas from the band world. I might point out that MANY band directors do "step up to the plate" every year in helping house drum corps. And I would also think that drum corps has also benefited from the thousands of musicians that we have helped develop in our programs. Last time I checked not many of the D1 corps were telling kids at their auditions "don't worry about it, we'll teach you how to play".

I hope that DCI realizes the value of band directors that support their activity. Maybe even a little more appreciation and "butt kissing announcements" would be nice.

Good, I got your attention. Are you housing a corps for Pasadena, when they really need it?

In the Riverside area, the smog isn't as bad as it used to be in the '80's. The LA basin has done a great job with the clean air act. In the past few years we have had very few Stage I smog alerts.

I remember those in elementary school. They wouldn't let outside for recess during those alerts for health reasons. I think there was even one time they had parents come pick us up because the air was so bad :sshh:

Not really a good neighborhood. With all the schools in Pasadena and along the foothills going east, I'm suprised some of the corps have to stay so far away from the Rose Bowl?

Since they got Arcadia High then DCI should also try for the middle schools in Arcadia. The bleachers aren't as high but at least it's a safe area not too far from the shows.

Nancy

Since RLamb recently posted about the Dublin, OH show, chances are that he is not a SoCal director.

Ok, good detective work.

What about the SoCal band directors who are not housing corps yet? Where are they with respect to housing? I'm sure they'll be at the shows, getting the benefit of the corps' material.

lalala....

and along those lines...why havent you become a millionare and built your own practice facilities all across the country for the corps to use. I mean gosh, you get to enjoy their shows and everything, and you cant even do this one little thing for them?!?!?

lalala....

and along those lines...why havent you become a millionare and built your own practice facilities all across the country for the corps to use. I mean gosh, you get to enjoy their shows and everything, and you cant even do this one little thing for them?!?!?

Well...huh ??? :worthy:

Well...huh ??? :worthy:

it makes sense....i swear :P

Ok, good detective work.

What about the SoCal band directors who are not housing corps yet? Where are they with respect to housing? I'm sure they'll be at the shows, getting the benefit of the corps' material.

Bro, you make it sound as though Band Directors have absolute power over the school districts. I'm sure, heck I put money on it that there are a lot of band directors that would love host a corps but can't due to restrictions by the school district. Keep in mind that there's also a liabilty issue and cost for the school. Please remember that music/marching bands is not the center of universe at schools so I doubt the principal or school boards really care about drum corps. Edited by Jeffe77