Atlanta review (morning and evening)

First of all, I’d like to say that this was an incredible night for drum corps. Every corps there really blew me back, and my friends and I really enjoyed ourselves. We were on the 45, on the third deck, which was excellent. I was pretty happy when I realized the acoustics weren’t too bad even when you are closer to the top. I got a very good perspective of drill, and a pretty good perspective of music. I’ll do my best to review both shows, even though my mind is fuzzy right now.

First was Pioneer. They were way better than I was expecting. It was noticeable that they were getting tired near the end of their show, as it was way weaker than their opener. They’re a solid corps that really made a good first impression for the fans who made it to the afternoon show. The brass had a couple of very solid impact points, but suffered slightly when they moved, likewise with percussion.

Southwind: Really cool opening section. Like Pioneer, they really had some great impact points. They moved well, and played well. I think the hornline would benefit from more players, especially baritone voices, as the brass was a little top heavy. Overall, I enjoyed their sound, though. The percussion section was not disappointing at all. The staff they have there has really brought this drumline to a new level. I was really happy with the product they put on the field, however I wish that the ending wasn’t so drawn out… several times I thought the show was over, but it kept going. I loved the new uniforms.

Cascades: The marched well for the most part. Their trumpets were really coming out of the sound for a few parts of the show, especially during Sleep; however I think that may have been due to staging. The theme “Three” was communicated through many forms that had three sides, or three lines, etc, and it worked pretty well. They were cleaner visually than the Troopers, but what is really bringing them down is the playing. Once they get that together, they will have a very solid corps.

Troopers: Troop played the hell out of Joy. They were pretty dirty visually, but musically, they performed very, very well. I really enjoyed all of the arrangements, and I believe that by finals week, this will be my favorite Trooper show ever. Pretty solid percussion section as well. The Sunburst was one of the coolest moments of the afternoon. If Troopers are able to clean up visually, they will be able to cover some ground on corps above them, and maybe make a run for semis.

Crossmen: Really difficult show… they never stopped moving. Truth be told, I think the level of difficulty of this show hurt them a little bit, but overall I enjoyed my viewing. The capes at the beginning were awesome… several people in the stands were surprised when they opened them for the first time. The drill covers the field well, and the music is arranged coherently, for the most part. At points, I thought Symphonic Metamorphosis was a little chopped up, but it wasn’t too bad. This corps will be very good in a couple of years when they are acclimated to their change from PA to Texas.

Madison Scouts: Wow. I went to this show expecting the absolute worse from Madison based on all of the reviews and negative comments I have read, but boy was I surprised. The opening pre-show was really, really cool. The music seemed to start a little abruptly after that, but I didn’t mind too much. The drumline seemed pretty good, and the hornline played really well. I loved the music. The final chord was just awesome… it got the best response during the morning show.

Spirit: 2nd viewing for these guys… cool show. I love the unis from up high. I’m still not into Hide and Seek, but all other sections of the show were solid. As always, a good, loud hornline. It seemed to me that the morning show was a lot cleaner than the evening show, but the evening show had more energy. My favorite thing about this show is the amount of contrast. I hope that Hide and Seek will grow on me as finals roll around, but the rest of the show right now is cooking.

Colts: They were very clean... great drill that used the field very well. The new uniforms work really well... I like them way more than the previous uniform. The drumline wasn't the best, and I hope they can clean the music up. Great hornline, very mature sound. I don't remember much about the guard, but I remember them enhancing the show considerably. I have no doubt in my mind that this corps will make finals in August... my favorite show of theirs since 99... and it could very easily top that show by the end of this year. This was also my mom's favorite show of the night.

Glassmen: I admit, I was scared for them when they hit that first arc… it was very, very dirty. After that however, the marching cleaned up considerably… the drill is generally safe, but it gets the point across. The double shield drill at the end is really awesome… my favorite part of the show. I’m definitely not a guard expert, but I really enjoyed the guard in this show. The drumline writing was, as always, spectacular… the drumline was probably one of the best sections of the corps. The hornline plays with a better sound than I remember last year, as well. Overall it was a good show… sterile in places, and very exciting in others. Both shows seemed to be at about the same level… the nigh seemed a little cleaner.

Blue Stars: The new uniforms look really cool from up high… I appreciate how they utilized the double sided uniforms in their drill and marching. The hornline was incredible… they played and awesome book, and played it very well. The Firebird quotes through the show were awesome. I don’t remember the drumline too much, other than it being pretty average… I don’t remember a fantastic book, I just remember pretty clean playing. It’s tough to say who the loudest hornline in the morning was, but I’d definitely say Blue Stars are in the running.

Boston Crusaders: I enjoy Boston’s show this year… a really energetic percussion and horn book. Boston plays Latin music very well. A lot of what they play/march is identical to the 2003 show, but I don’t mind at all, because it’s my favorite Boston show. La Fiesta was awesome… really good hornline. The drumline was fantastic. Excellent writing and playing… they really put forth a lot of energy, and the audience appreciated it. Both of the shows were energetic, however I think the larger crowd in the evening helped Boston out for the second show to push past BK.

CorsVets: They're really loud for a hornline that's smaller than most div 1's. I guess it's the G's... they sounded great. the drumline was dirty, but I think that's because of the fact that all age corps don't practice nearly as much as DCI corps. great sop soloists as well. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the drill, because I was really getting into the music, but from what I could tell, it was good. Nice sized guard as well. Just tighten up a few loose moments, and you guys are going to make a very strong run at DCA championships this year.

Crown: Well, they’re loud. I still can’t find myself sold on the show, but they are very good. The drumline is for real. Leaps and bounds above the lines from the past few years. The guard, as always, is spectacular. I’m not really sold on the arrangement of Red Pony. It’s pretty evident why this show is a crowd favorite. I don’t agree with the placement above SCV, but then again, I’m not a judge. I hope I can bring myself to enjoy this show as much as I enjoy the corps.

Blue Knights: I think it may have been a rough run for them. I enjoy the music, and their original take on it, but they just seemed a little flat tonight. As always, it was a great hornline, though the trumpets stuck out once or twice. The drumline was dirtier than Boston’s, and the scores reflected that. I’d like to see this show again, and hopefully I was right about it just being a rough run for BK, because this show has a lot of potential.

SCV: This is, without a doubt, the hardest show in division 1. The physical demand is just out of this world, and like most other SCV shows in the corps history, it’s just not clean enough yet. That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy the show, because I most certainly did. They blew my mind. The music is really cool, and reminiscent of SCV from 99-03, and for that I am happy. This show is a top 3 designed show, with 5-7th place execution. Once they are cleaned up, watch out top 5. Great guard, good drumline, good hornline, incredible drill. Can’t wait to see the final product… my favorite show from the night show.

Bluecoats: Good lord, they play like Gods. Without a doubt the best hornline there of the night… the sound just keeps getting better and better. The drumline is fantastic as well. The show, I’m not completely sold on… there is a lot of music crammed into 11 minutes, and a lot of it doesn’t receive as much attention as I wish, but overall I enjoyed their presentation. That contra line is phenomenal… so many notes. 5th is a little low for the talent that is clearly evident in the corps, but everyone is so good this year. I can’t wait to listen to this show again… what a hornline.

Phantom: Phantom is a lot like Crown for me this year. They play well, and the drumline and guard are both awesome… I just don’t like the show at all. The music is hard for me to get into, and the drill needs a lot of work. 4th place seemed about right, however I don’t think that they will be able to keep Bluecoats at bay much longer unless they really, really work on their marching. The mellophones at the end of the show were absolutely ridiculous… by far my favorite part of the show. I will hold my final judgments on the show when I see the final product.

Blue Devils: First off, yes I do believe they should have won. They were the cleanest there, as far as execution goes, IMO. If the judges were scoring the top 3 based on excitement, BD would be in 3rd right now, however. It is, like last year, the blandest product in the top 3. The first half of the show is stellar, but by the end I’m left wanting… more of the opener. I’m not really sure if it was just the dome, or if it was just a weird night for the Devs, but the space chords sounded terrible. At any rate, they are the cleanest corps right now, and I stand behind their first place finish. I just wish they would change the closer a little bit. Pretty good hornline, but it’s definitely not their strongest. The drumline has a lot of notes like always, except this year they’re playing the book cleanly. Cool guard stuff at the beginning of the show.

The Cadets: I think that this show will work out the best for any of the corps currently sitting in the top 3… it has so much potential. The hornline is just unreal at this point… scary loud. The big park and blow in Blue Shades (when the hornline is arced into 5 or 6 arcs) is one of the defining moments of drum corps to me. The narration doesn’t really bother me too much, however I still wish they would cut some of the stuff going on in the build during Blue Shades, because that horn book is insane. I don’t think the drumline is as good as it has been in the past, but it’s still pretty darn good. Also, I don’t think the guard staging is good yet, which I believe is the reason for the low scores… I hope they can get that worked out. And like I said, I am definitely not an expert on guard, so I could just be blabbering on about something completely irrelevant. I think that this show will win come finals.

The Cavaliers: I don’t really understand why people are timing them on when they’re playing and when they’re not… really… just sit back and enjoy this show. It’s a ton of fun, and for once, appeals to a much wider fan spectrum that a lot of their shows. There are some really awesome moments in this show, but like BD, the show just kind of fizzles out at the end, but to a less extent. Excellent drumline, and a great guard. The hornline sounds as good as always. This is my favorite Cavaliers show in a while, and I don’t understand why people just can’t sit and enjoy. Can’t wait to see this in August.

There you have it… an entire review of Atlanta. My friends and I really enjoyed it this year. Everyone from top to bottom put on excellent shows, and really made me remember why I love drum corps so much. They made fans out of my friends who had never been to a drum corps show, and I think that’s what matters the most. Thanks for reading.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on both Phantom and Crown. They are performing at an extremely high level, and I can see why a lot of people love them this year, but I'm just not really into either show. Phantom is just sorta blah for me, and while I agree that Crown has a great hornline, the only piece they play that I can really get into is The Red Pony, and even that isn't the greatest arrangement. Great review! ^OO^

Conner Rocks.

once of the best reviews i have read all season, thanks!

OMG Conner...

Your review ROCKS!

Thanks!

BD is changing their ending, and i believe this is the first dome performance for them as well as others? right?

so i'm sure there were problems hearing with the dome's echo and things like that that would throw off the performers a little.

good review...

not great...

but good.

awesome comprehensive review! thanks for taking the time to do this.. when i do my reviews, it sometimes feels like an essay I have to write in school.. only easier :)

haha, yeah... it felt like it took forever. It's a lot of corps to review.

~>conner