This year's Cadets show

how can people to deny that the choice comment is about anything *but* moral issues?

Mr. Hopkins has chosen to use that inflammatory comment because he understands the power of language.

If you deny that the creative staff is choosing to use very emotional/evocative language you are underestimating the ability and motive of the creative staff to grab their listener's attention.

Art is supposed to cause the viewer to think. What the creative staff at the cadets have done is attempt take their art form to the next level. They chose to use a controversial statement because they knew it would get a reaction.

The cadets show is an effective propaganda tool for leftist dogma. I would encourage Mr. Hopkins to share this with the Democratic party. The narration with clips of video from the show would make great propaganda advertising for the 08 election.

Clinton/Obama 08

"This I Believe"

SnPt

an arts booster

Edited by sneakypete

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They chose to use a controversial statement because they knew it would get a reaction.

You got that part correct.

Music, like most artforms, is subject to the listener's interpretation. Different people attribute different meanings to the same composition. Mix lyrics in, and this truth still holds. Why should drum corps narration be any different?

A woman's right to choose is one of the foremost hot-button issues of today's society. Debate has been so heated and pervasive that just hearing the word "choice" spoken over a PA system by a female voice is enough to get the adrenalin flowing (or to start a firestorm on a drum corps discussion group).

We can't even agree on what the rest of the spoken script is, so I won't try to guess if those words pick one side or the other on this issue. Frankly, I doubt they do. Like the Pledge of Allegiance circa 2002, the words and their context within the show have most likely been selected to resonate with societal issues, while stopping short of picking sides in the debate - better to leave the viewer to speculate on the intended message.

This reminds me so much of 1970. Garfield formed the "peace sign" in their drill that year. I doubt it was intended as an anti-military statement, but some interpreted it that way, including higher-ups in the VFW who pondered penalizing the corps for it's use. There's often more than one possible interpretation, though, as evidenced by quick-thinking Garfield staff who told the VFW contest chair that the drill formation was actually the Mercedes-Benz logo.

how can people to deny that the choice comment is about anything *but* moral issues?

Mr. Hopkins has chosen to use that inflammatory comment because he understands the power of language.

If you deny that the creative staff is choosing to use very emotional/evocative language you are underestimating the ability and motive of the creative staff to grab their listener's attention.

Art is supposed to cause the viewer to think. What the creative staff at the cadets have done is attempt take their art form to the next level. They chose to use a controversial statement because they knew it would get a reaction.

The cadets show is an effective propaganda tool for leftist dogma. I would encourage Mr. Hopkins to share this with the Democratic party. The narration with clips of video from the show would make great propaganda advertising for the 08 election.

Clinton/Obama 08

"This I Believe"

SnPt

an arts booster

For the sport of it, I'll deny the choice comment is about morals (Oh, by the way, I denied by typing at a keyboard). George has often blogged and talked about choice as a pesonality style. To be specific, he has often commented that one can "choose" his or her attitude each day even though many of life's circumstances are beyond anyone's control.

Edited by Legalhack

This thread delivers.

Was thinking the same thing. Also, does DCP have a psychiatrist on staff?

**WARNING WILL USE HARSH ADJECTIVES***

I can't believe this ######## idea make it back from the grave. There was another unworthy and ill represented thread a few weeks ago about this same topic. Either the OP and his minions are really out to ruin the planet or they're just that oblivious to the world around them. I'm really bothered that this thread has not died yet from the plain stupidity of it all. Yes I am having fun with this 'cause god help us all if these thoughts are true.

Its just some words

don't read into it, you're not that smart, neither am I, neither is Hop.

Can't decide if this thread is the equivalent of "Punk'd" or a DCP version of the Sean Hannity show.

Thats the thing...its not just an overly deep analysis. Is a deep analysis with an overly shallow observation. Basing an idea on 4 words and the gender of the one who said it, while completely ignoring the context of the show within which it is presented is, IMO a bad choice.

Look, I appreciate your loyalty to a Corps you marched with ( The Cadets ), and feel the need to come their their defense here, but the fact remains that " deep analysis " is not required here to understand the most conventional interpretation when a young female says to us " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!" ( not CHOICES ) and stops the proclamation there. The Staff at Cadets are smart . They know what the CONVENTIONAL and most generally accepted interpretation is when a women shouts out to us " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!

Edited by X DM

Can't decide if this thread is the equivalent of "Punk'd" or a DCP version of the Sean Hannity show.

Hmmm, that sounds like old CE Forum fodder.