This year's Cadets show

The female Cadet did not say loudly into her microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of music careers " or that " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of having control of my life " , nor " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of insano drill moves " or blah blah. Note that it was not a male cadet that spoke in this segment as in other narration sequences. If nothing else, the segment " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE " is a " bad choice " for the Cadets, because at the very least it is confusing, and at worst divisive. Look, as you can see I was not the original thread creator here, but there are quite a few of us that find the " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !! segment offensive. Frankly, when a male cadet is substituted for a female voice in this voice segment and the female says into the microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, it is asking a lot of the audience to interptet this CHOICE that she is referring to as a CHOICE of careers. But you can ask us to interpret this as such, but it is my "choice" ( and others ) to know what a female means 95% of the time when she tells us " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, and then stops her proclamation right there and stops the sentence.

Again, for someone making such a deep analysis of the words, you are only looking at the very surface of them. Its silly to me because of that disconnect - meters out of microns if you know what i mean. Everything in the show, from the music, the narration and drill, all the way to the writeup about the show in the program, seems to indicate something different.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The female Cadet did not say loudly into her microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of music careers " or that " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of having control of my life " , nor " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE of insano drill moves " or blah blah. Note that it was not a male cadet that spoke in this segment as in other narration sequences. If nothing else, the segment " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE " is a " bad choice " for the Cadets, because at the very least it is confusing, and at worst divisive. Look, as you can see I was not the original thread creator here, but there are quite a few of us that find the " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !! segment offensive. Frankly, when a male cadet is substituted for a female voice in this voice segment and the female says into the microphone " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, it is asking a lot of the audience to interptet this CHOICE that she is referring to as a CHOICE of careers. But you can ask us to interpret this as such, but it is my "choice" ( and others ) to know what a female means 95% of the time when she tells us " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !!, and then stops her proclamation right there and stops the sentence.

I find this post offensive. You are analyzing this show way too deeply. So it is not okay for a woman to say "I Believe in Choice" because immediately she is talking about her right to choose? I don't think so.

It's a drum corps show, people. We will all survive it!

Lots of people ( my wife included) " got it " right away like this thread poster originator did when the Cadets female spoke into the mocrophone loudly and said " I BELIEVE IN CHOICE !! "

Walk down to any street in America or talk with anybody you know and ask that person what a female means when she says that she ..." believes in Choice ". 95% of the time, the answer will be pretty much known and pretty clear what she is referring to when she says " I believe in Choice ". She's not talking about a "choice " of Corian countertops or "choice " of wallpaper.

Bingo. Words are powerful and they mean things.

The words "I believe in Choice" are used at least 3 times in the show. Sandwiched in between those words early on, and spoken by the female narrator are, "It is my body and I'll decide". Like your wife, and others that have taken notice at this disturbing infusion of a sensitive social hot-button into a drum corps production, one can reasonably gather that the female narrator was not talking about wallpaper choices.

Edited by Brassop

I find this post offensive. You are analyzing this show way too deeply. So it is not okay for a woman to say "I Believe in Choice" because immediately she is talking about her right to choose? I don't think so.

Thats the thing...its not just an overly deep analysis. Is a deep analysis with an overly shallow observation. Basing an idea on 4 words and the gender of the one who said it, while completely ignoring the context of the show within which it is presented is, IMO a bad choice.

. Sandwiched in between those words early on are, "It is my body and I'll decide".

False...sorry. You substituted some key words there to make you point stronger - not cool

Bingo. Words are powerful and they mean things.

The words "I believe in Choice" are used at least 3 times in the show. Sandwiched in between those words early on are, "It is my body and I'll decide". Like your wife, and others that have taken notice, one can reasonably gather that the female narrator was not talking about wallpaper choices.

That's rediculous. Now you're substituting words to try to make your point stronger when that is not inferred in the show whatsoever.

Dont worry tekk...i think i've summed up their position with as much accuracy and attention to detail as I can, and here it is.

i-choo-choo-choooose-aboarshun-1.jpg

and on that note - im out. nite all

Perhaps you need to look more into the show, and less into what you think of it on the surface. What does the rest of the quote convey? Have you listenned to it, or did you take the first 4 words and make them something they are not? The next words Larissa speaks are about having control of her life, no matter what comes her way. Lets look at the choice references at the end of the show. "My choice to become a musician, a performer". These are all things that are IN the show, not random speculation. "I think I made the right choice" - insano drill move. Seems to me like the message is clear - you can do incredible things with your life if you choose to. Cheesy? yes -political soapbox? no.

Look beyond the narration if you'd like (And i know most people would love to). Do you see anything, I mean ANYTHING, in the drill or music that has to do with abortion. Perhaps they make a fetus on the field or something....I only know of one fetus in the corps, and he's a baritone player, not a subliminal message. All this time people are looking on the outside and to culture for what the show means....did you ever think of looking at the show to see what the show means?? :worthy:

So ... discount our production's specific words and gather the meaning of the show from asymetrical shapes? Cadets believe in the power of words to convey a show - that is one reason they pushed for narration.

It's interesting how you quote the innocuous lines that use the word "choice" to prove your point of the show's innocence, yet sidestep my original and specific references; it is clear what, "I believe in Choice" and "It's my body and I'll decide", mean - unless one has their head in the sand.

A pro-abortion position is being promulgated in Cadets' show. Some people believe strongly in abortion - and I won't argue that here. But as I said in my original post: It's not appropriate for drum corps. It would be just as inappropriate if a corps conveyed an anti-abortion slant through their production. The drum corps field ought not to be about furthering visceral and divisive social stands.

Edited by Brassop

So ... discount our specific words and gather the meaning of the show from amoeba shapes?

It's interesting how you quote the innocuous lines that use the word "choice" and sidestep my original and specific references. Funny how you don't cite her statement, "It's my body and I'll decide", said in and around several references to "Choice". It's clear in Cadets' show that there is a position on abortion being promulgated. Some people believe strongly in abortion. But as I said in my original post: It's not appropriate for drum corps. It would be just as inappropriate if a corps conveyed an anti-abortion stand through their production.

Except that is NOT WHAT SHE SAYS.