Question for Music Education Majors

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: WOW!!! You guys are GREAT!! You asked for information that I really should have thought to include :ph34r: So, here is some more information:

• He is a Junior
  • He plays the Trumpet
  • We live just outside Louisville, KY

He has looked at the following schools:

Purdue University (Indiana) - REALLY hated the campus; he thought it was too big, too "busy"

Vanderbilt (Tennessee) - He LOVED the campus, liked the "residential" feel of the campus, but didn't feel all that "comfortable" with the professors

University of Louisville (Kentucky) - Didn't care for the campus and it's too close to home for his taste

Bellarmine (Kentucky) - Too small and too close to home

Miami University (Indiana) - LOVED it!! He loved the look and feel of the campus; said it was "beautiful and close to fishing", met with the main trumpet instructor and had a lesson with him and really liked him. Is planning to take more lessons from him when he returns from DCI.

As far as his working hard......he is a straight 'A' student, participates in Marching, Concert, Jazz, and Pep band at his school as well as the Louisville Youth Band and takes private trumpet and piano lessons so he is very use to having a busy schedule. Hope this information helps and again, thanks SO much to all of you :D As I said, he really likes Miami but I want to make sure he looks at lots of options. College is an exciting time and he's worked so hard, I want him to have all the options available to him....even though Mom is VERY sad about the thought of him leaving home :(

Thanks again,

'Mom'

:rolleyes: WOW!!! You guys are GREAT!! You asked for information that I really should have thought to include :ph34r: So, here is some more information:
  • He is a Junior
  • He plays the Trumpet

Purdue University (Indiana) - REALLY hated the campus; he thought it was too big, too "busy"

Vanderbilt (Tennessee) - He LOVED the campus, liked the "residential" feel of the campus, but didn't feel all that "comfortable" with the professors

University of Louisville (Kentucky) - Didn't care for the campus and it's too close to home for his taste

Miami University (Indiana) - LOVED it!! He loved the look and feel of the campus; said it was "beautiful and close to fishing", met with the main trumpet instructor and had a lesson with him and really liked him. Is planning to take more lessons from him when he returns from DCI.

As far as his working hard......he is a straight 'A' student, participates in Marching, Concert, Jazz, and Pep band at his school as well as the Louisville Youth Band and takes private trumpet and piano lessons so he is very use to having a busy schedule. Hope this information helps and again, thanks SO much to all of you :D As I said, he really likes Miami but I want to make sure he looks at lots of options. College is an exciting time and he's worked so hard, I want him to have all the options available to him....even though Mom is VERY sad about the thought of him leaving home :(

Thanks again,

'Mom'

Well if he really likes Miami, then go for it! Honestly, it comes down to what makes most sense for him.

Sounds like your son is very motivated and involved with music - that's great!

Jim Olcott, the trumpet professor at Miami is very well-known in the trumpet world, involved with ITG, had many fine trumpet ensemble pieces published, ect. Chris Krummel, the trumpet prof at YSU is a Miami (OH) alum and former student of Jim's, and if you have a chance to visit the area definitely contact him.

UMASS AMHERST!!!!!!!!!!

Good Marching band... really huge school though, but that means a really huge band with a really huge sound. Michael Klesh is the music guy and tom hannum is the drum guy and they are both big drum corps figures. Its a heck of a school for drum corps too.

When I marched Cadets in 2005 there were 7 UMASS kids in the corps... more Cadets from UMASS than any other school that year. Also, UMASS kids represent a ton of different corps.

2005 corps with UMASS kids in 'em

Cadets

Blue Devils

Cavaliers

Boston

Crossmen

Crown

ECJ

Spartans

there are probably more these are just the ones I knew about

Sounds like your son is very motivated and involved with music - that's great!

Jim Olcott, the trumpet professor at Miami is very well-known in the trumpet world, involved with ITG, had many fine trumpet ensemble pieces published, ect. Chris Krummel, the trumpet prof at YSU is a Miami (OH) alum and former student of Jim's, and if you have a chance to visit the area definitely contact him.

:) WOW...that's the professor that he met with and really liked (Mr. Olcott). They have been exchanging emails, etc. ever since he met with him and had his lesson. Mr. Olcott has offered to meet him on weekends, etc. to give more lessons, etc. That's so funny that you mentioned him by name! I had no idea that he was "well known" :rolleyes:

• He is a Junior
  • He plays the Trumpet

Thanks again,

'Mom'

I didn't think Purdue offered a bachelor's degree in music education.

I didn't think Purdue offered a bachelor's degree in music education.

They don't but we didn't know that much about what to look for when we went there. He had heard of it and I figured the more campuses he visited, the better idea of what he liked and disliked he would get. It's really strange at Purdue, they have a great marching band but are not "allowed" to have a music department :rolleyes: It was evidently part of the agreement with the guy who donated all the bucks for the school years and years ago.

Since so many of you seem to be Music Majors, I was just wondering if any of you can recommend good schools? My son is looking at Miami University in Ohio and really likes it but we want to look at some more. He likes programs with the Education classes in the Music Department (some have all the Education classes through the Education Department), he MUST have a Marching Band and he really doesn't like the really large campuses. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :P

Western Illinois University has an excellent music ed program.