Question for Music Education Majors

Since so many of you seem to be Music Majors, I was just wondering if any of you can recommend good schools? My son is looking at Miami University in Ohio and really likes it but we want to look at some more. He likes programs with the Education classes in the Music Department (some have all the Education classes through the Education Department), he MUST have a Marching Band and he really doesn't like the really large campuses. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :P

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Miami and marched there for 4 years. I had a great experience!!!! I would recomend it to anyone going into music ed. (I'm a band director in Ohio) It was a lot of fun, good band with a corps style.

Redskins forever!

I went to Miami and marched there for 4 years. I had a great experience!!!! I would recomend it to anyone going into music ed. (I'm a band director in Ohio) It was a lot of fun, good band with a corps style.

Redhawks forever!

Fixed :)

Staying in Ohio, I understand that BGSU has a pretty good college of music.

Up here in Michigan, Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo is still pretty strong as well. Another MAC school, so not as big as a Big 11 campus. Jazz area is still real strong (Gold Company vocal jazz group is still the darlings of the WMU school of music), and the marching band is one of the best in the MAC. String area is alot better now than it was when I was there in the 90's, and the band area has added a graduate wind group since I left.

I know you said he doesn't like large campuses, but UM and MSU are great for music education because they have embraced Music Learning Theory. WMU hasn't yet (they need to). Music Learning Theory is something EVERY music ed. major needs to be exposed to in undergrad, in my opinion. You should find that out about any school you look into, I don't know which schools in Ohio, if any, teach it.

Since so many of you seem to be Music Majors, I was just wondering if any of you can recommend good schools? My son is looking at Miami University in Ohio and really likes it but we want to look at some more. He likes programs with the Education classes in the Music Department (some have all the Education classes through the Education Department), he MUST have a Marching Band and he really doesn't like the really large campuses. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :P

In my opinion, Indiana University and CCM are the two best schools in the area. However, both are larger than Miami or Bowling Green State.

If you aren't sure you have to stay in state, you should check out James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA. It has a great music ed program, a large marching band, but isn't a huge campus. The school is about 15,000 students, but the campus seems smaller. The music program itself is probably somewhere around 300 majors. I went through that program and have one there now. Oh, and several of the kids there march drum corps. :)

check out the other miami, also. :)

small campus - you can get from polar opposite side to side in 20 minutes and it's all self contained with perimeter roads only. we only have 4 classes in the 4 years that are in the school of education (the rest are in the school of music or electives). division one football, not a huge marching band, being a small private school, but a musical one that every year is moving in an excellent direction (average of 200 members including auxiliary). don't let the cost dissuade you -- scholarships flow from that campus daily, lol. what does he play? i'm assuming he's a junior... by the time he'd get to college, i know that UM would have 1-3 euphonium players only, and they'd be in need of more -- it's how i ended up there, they paid for me to come play euph. all the schools he's looking at, ask them what the future need of that instrument is -- the lower it is, the higher the scholarship will probably be.

feel free to have him IM me or find me on facebook and ask me more questions if he has them.

good luck!

check out the other miami, also. :)

small campus - you can get from polar opposite side to side in 20 minutes and it's all self contained with perimeter roads only. we only have 4 classes in the 4 years that are in the school of education (the rest are in the school of music or electives). division one football, not a huge marching band, being a small private school, but a musical one that every year is moving in an excellent direction (average of 200 members including auxiliary). don't let the cost dissuade you -- scholarships flow from that campus daily, lol. what does he play? i'm assuming he's a junior... by the time he'd get to college, i know that UM would have 1-3 euphonium players only, and they'd be in need of more -- it's how i ended up there, they paid for me to come play euph. all the schools he's looking at, ask them what the future need of that instrument is -- the lower it is, the higher the scholarship will probably be.

feel free to have him IM me or find me on facebook and ask me more questions if he has them.

good luck!

w/Stp:

What instrument does your son play? I would check out the studio at each school you are interested in. A have always talked to my students that the instructor of your instrument for a music major is very important. You may even want to have him take a couple of lessons from a few college instructors before you decide on a school. I've had more than one student think they wanted to go to a particular school only to take a few lessons and not get along with thier private teacher. One great school is Morehead in KY. I am assuming you live in OH. If you live within three counties of the KY, in Ohio, I think you can get in state tuition at any KY school. For example if you lived in Montgomery County in OH, it is three counties from KY (Hamilton, Warren, then Montgomery).

What instrument does your son play? I would check out the studio at each school you are interested in. A have always talked to my students that the instructor of your instrument for a music major is very important. You may even want to have him take a couple of lessons from a few college instructors before you decide on a school. I've had more than one student think they wanted to go to a particular school only to take a few lessons and not get along with thier private teacher. One great school is Morehead in KY. I am assuming you live in OH. If you live within three counties of the KY, in Ohio, I think you can get in state tuition at any KY school. For example if you lived in Montgomery County in OH, it is three counties from KY (Hamilton, Warren, then Montgomery).

That is great advice. When my oldest was starting to look at music programs, I just emailed the studio teachers at the schools she was interested in attending. They all replied back quickly and with their availability for setting up weekend visits/lessons. She was able to see the campus, have a lesson with the instructor at each school. In some cases, the instructors made other music classes available for her to attend as well. She observed a music education class and a conducting class at one school, and sat in on a wind symphony rehearsal at another. Your private lesson teacher is typically the one person you will deal with on a weekly basis (or more) for the entire time you are at the school, so I think that relationship is the single most important consideration when choosing a school as a music major.