13. Tiffin

14. CCM

15. Ashland

16. Malone

17. Muskingum

18. Wright State

19. Cleveland Institute

20. Ohio Wesleyan

I do not know one person who has come out of the CIM and is teaching public school, but I bet I can name three to five from every other college on that list.

Elmo Blatch

You're definitely right about CIM - definitely not education-oriented :)

In my excitement to discuss Ohio schools, I may have gotten a wee bit off topic there...

There are definitely a ton of good music schools in Ohio!

Would be interested to see and compare graduation rates from some of these Ohio schools - always wondered how many BME graduates a school like Akron turns out compared to a huge school like TOSU.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just so happen to be a Music Education/Jazz Studies double major on trumpet at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. I for one would agree with what everyone is saying about overall music performance schools, and that BGSU is up there, but certainly not the best in Ohio. Unless, of course, you play the saxophone, because Dr. Sampen is one of the best in the country, no doubt! BGSU does have an outstanding MuEd program, as well as a phenomenal jazz program. As a member of the trumpet studio, I've become pretty close to my teacher, Mr. Charles Saenz, and he is amazing! He's equally adept at both classical and jazz. He won the '94 International Trumpet Guild Solo Competition, he's played with numerous symphonies, brass quintets, and jazz ensembles, and is currently playing with the Toledo Jazz Orchestra. He also directs BGSU's Trumpet Ensemble. If your son is only a junior, you can always have him come to one of our junior auditions. Here's the website if you want to check it out http://www.bgsu.edu/ Hope I helped. Let me know if you or your son want to know anything else about BGSU, the CMA, or the trumpet studio.

Edited by McCheese

If you aren't sure you have to stay in state, you should check out James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA. It has a great music ed program, a large marching band, but isn't a huge campus. The school is about 15,000 students, but the campus seems smaller. The music program itself is probably somewhere around 300 majors. I went through that program and have one there now. Oh, and several of the kids there march drum corps. :)

Great choice if I must say so myself :P . There are quite a few corps kids that are there, including 2 in the Cadets this year(4 when I marched) and the former Bluecoats soloist, among others. In addition to being a great music school and having a fantastic marching band (if you havent seen or heard it, search youtube and/or go to the www.jmu.edu/music/mrd), the university also has an outstanding British-style brass band that has either won or placed 2nd at the North American Brass Band Association championships. It is by far the most musical and challenging ensemble that I have ever been a part of and is ranked in the top 75 in the world now. A new performing arts facility is being built soon that will be absolutely amazing. A lot of our graduates are going either going to renowned graduate schools or are doing big things (Brian Balmages, Michael Mogensen, etc.)

Jim Kluesner is a great trumpet professor, having studied with some of the best (Herseth and Chichowicz) and performed professionally in Germany. Many of his students have jobs in military bands. The brass dept does a great job of getting soloists for masterclasses and such (Katrina Marzella, Richard Sebring, Philip Sparke, Allen Vizzutti, Steven Mead, and Onxy Brass quickly come to mind). The location is perfect IMO, close enough to DC, Richmond, Charlottesville (1-2hrs) to make traveling easy, but far enough that you don't have to deal with the bustle of those locales.

The school itself is known as a top-notch education school, and graduates have a high employment rate (although, i am still looking :( -keeping fingers crossed). I feel I most definitely got my money's worth and more at JMU.

I hope that helps. PM me if you want to hear more :)

Edited by horndevil

I think the biggest thing to consider when looking at a school for music is the private instruction. Spending four years with that teacher makes for the most consistent instruction you will receive at a college. My relationship with my trumpet teacher at George Mason University was extremely positive.

I chose George Mason because I wanted to study at a school that was in a big town, with lots of great schools to observe and work. During my time at GMU, I worked with multiple high school bands, student taught at a school with Sudler awards for Middle and High School that also performed at the Mid-West Clinic, and learned from some of the finest educators and musicians. Because the school was smaller, I played in every ensemble during my time there, and had a chance to perform around Washington, DC while attending school. Most of those things were not part of the program of study at my school, but I could venture out and work for different programs to "back up" what I was learning in the classroom.

I did not participate in a college marching band, as Mason doesn't have one (yet), but my drum corps experience kept me going.

I had a chance to work with schools in Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria while there...I met Wynton Marsalis, Maynard Ferguson, The Boston Brass, The Canadian Brass, Tim Morrison, and a host of others. I could drive into the city and watch the National Symphony, or head out to see any of the Service Bands (Pershing's Own, the Marine Band, the Air Force Band, and the Navy Band). I even had a chance to play with the Moscow Radio Symphony, in John Philip Sousa's church, and compete in the National Trumpet Competition, all of which are in my backyard. If my roommates and I could swing it, we'd take the five hour drive up to NYC too. I also ended up with the Crossmen because at the time, they were a nice 2 hour drive from my dorm, where I worked with some fabulous instructors as well.

Most importantly, the connections I made helped me obtain a job in Fairfax County Public Schools, where I have worked for a few years now.

Bottom line: chose a school where your child knows the bond with the private instructor will be strong and positive over the four years they will be there, and take every opportunity you have to get out there and teach / play!

is there anyway to hook someone up with those connections? :P

we've got your old director, and he's definitely helping turn the band of the hour into a respected musical ensemble. thanks for letting us have him. :P

Band of the Hour = Respected musical ensemble?????

That's just funny to read (and I can say this being a former DM there in 1989 and 1990) :P

BTW, I see you are in TBS at Miami? So was my wife.

Go 'Canes!

is there anyway to hook someone up with those connections? :P

I would, but I'm a band director, not an agent :P

Edited by drewbugler

we've got your old director, and he's definitely helping turn the band of the hour into a respected musical ensemble. thanks for letting us have him. :P

It was sad watching him go. He brought music to the field for the first time like:

Sam Hazo's "Ride"

Moulin Rouge

The Godfather

Another vote for West Chester.

The school has always been a teaching college primarily (state normal school originally). Campus isn't huge, marching band has a couple hundered people, and the town of West Chester itself has a historic feel to it. Its a relatively small town that is close enough to a large city and has buses/trains to Philly (and therefore he can get home to visit pretty easily).

I can't think of a single music ed major who didn't land a teaching job after graduation.

Side note is that most Chester County schools pay their teachers well- the pay scales presently top out around or above 100K. So long term his earning power could be higher in this area as a teacher than in other metro areas.

Also, keep in mind that he is going to have to apply to more than 1 school just in case he is waitlisted at his first choice. So even if he loves Miami, he should come up with a couple of other top picks too.