DCI 101

Since it is a slow night around here with no shows, I thought it may be a good time to ask questions and possibly get some answers. I'll go first:

Can someone please explain to me what all of the captions mean on the recaps and what percentage of the score is each one. Thanks!

Mods, if this is the wrong spot for this, I apologize.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it is a slow night around here with no shows, I thought it may be a good time to ask questions and possibly get some answers. I'll go first:

Can someone please explain to me what all of the captions mean on the recaps and what percentage of the score is each one. Thanks!

Why is there no pdf of the rules on line? Enquiring minds want to know.

In direct response to your question, there are others here far more qualified t answer about today's system; I can speak for the system 25 yrs ago when I marched.

Why is there no pdf of the rules on line? Enquiring minds want to know.

Because every time they PDF them, Hop changes half the rulebook! :sshh: :sshh:

General Effect - 40 points

GE Music (20)

GE Visual (20)

Each has two subcaptions, Repertoire and Perfomance.

Visual - 30 points

Performance - individual marching technique. The two sub-captions are Technique and Excellence.

Ensemble - how clean the forms are, and how well the ensemble moves together. The two sub-captions are Composition and Excellence.

Color Guard - self-explanatory. The two sub-captions are Content(?) and Achievement.

Music - 30 points

Brass - individual brass playing

Ensemble - the entire musical ensemble as a whole (battery percussion, pit percussion, and brass). When a corps "phases" timing-wise, it gets judged here.

Percussion - cleanliness of the drumline

Each of the Music captions have two sub-captions: Musicality and Technique.

In Music and Visual, because there are three subcaptions that total up to 60 points, the total score is divided in two. The General Effect captions are not divided in two. This is why the corps that wins GE typically wins the show, because the raw points count for more.

There's a whole lot more to it, but these are the basics.

Edited by Jayzer

Last I looked (and that was last year) you could order a copy of the DCI rules & regs from the front office for about $40. Never bought it - never saw it, but it's probably about the size of a New York City phone book.

Drum Corps International

470 South Irmen Drive

Addison, IL 60101

Tel: 630.628.7888

Fax: 630.628.7971

Edited by Piper

I don't get this whole "iHonk" or "Honk if you like Academy" thing going on with Academy. What's that all about? Is it because their show is about cars?

(Not sarcasm here guys... honest question)

I don't get this whole "iHonk" or "Honk if you like Academy" thing going on with Academy. What's that all about? Is it because their show is about cars?

(Not sarcasm here guys... honest question)

There's a thread titled "Academy Honks", wherein some guy complained about all of the hyping Academy fans were doing. Many people took issue with his post (and rightly so) and also thought "Honks" was a funny word to use, so they've sort of turned it around on him by using it in a playful manner.