Crossmen closing in on top 12.

I'm all for it having a "place in drum corps" as long as it isn't "13th place". I wouldn't even be expressing my concern about the music if the GE-Music scores were up where some of the Crossmen's other captions are right now.

I certainly hope you're not saying what I think you're saying, i.e. that the only thing that matters for the 2007 Crossmen is scores and numbers and placements. Considering all they've been through and are working for off the field right now, that would probably be the saddest thing I could read from any alumni...acknowledging that we would all, of course, love to see our corps in finals. Perspective, folks. Patience. We want them to do well on the field and score as high as possible, but this is an organization that requires a look at the bigger picture right now and in the coming months.

If the judges aren't appreciating the music's design, what can be done?

They can make changes. And it's clear they have. I noticed several in the APD I heard from San Antonio. There are only so many hours in the day, however. My guess is that there are some more tweaks in the works and schedules need to be plotted out in order to make the kinds of changes they feel they need to make. These things take time, can't put em in all in one day. And by the end of the season, if it's not meant to be and they don't recover, then hopefully it will be a lesson learned. What I can say is that excellence does count for more than people think. If they tighten up the things they need to tighten up from a performance standpoint, their effect scores should rise as well, and then it's a matter of just seeing where everyone ends up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to say that I hate the pic in your signature, fick.

I remember when I used to look like that. (ummm..that would be the sop, pic. Not the other) B)

Yeah, that was during a duet in our 93 show. Many didn't like the 2-valvers but preferred the 3-valvers. Here's the shot of me holding that horn during the rest of my sideline time...

1103326548_l.jpg

...back to the thread...

I was very impressed with Crossmen on the webcast of San Antonio. They have come a long way since i saw them in Atlanta. Particularly, they seem to be starting to perform segments of the show more effectively. In Altanta, you could tell they were holding on for dear life and ran out of gas well before the show ended. In San Antonio, it seemed they had more things under their belt in terms of performance.

There is still much to do and personally i think some of the technique choices are stifiling how mature the group comes across (those being horn carriage and backup technique). However it is a choice the staff and team made and the members must execute. As Gary mentioned earlier, it still comes down to excellence and this is where this young group is going to learn the most (either during their last few weeks or reflection in the off season).

They are clearly building for the future and seem to be off to a great start in Texas. It is a learning process and one that this new (predominantly) staff will do together as a team so we can hopefully see Xmen back in Finals very soon. If it is this year, I think all of us associated with the corps would look at it as a bonus.

Best of luck to the Crossmen and their staff on an exciting last few weeks of tour!

Peace Out!

:)

I certainly hope you're not saying what I think you're saying, i.e. that the only thing that matters for the 2007 Crossmen is scores and numbers and placements. Considering all they've been through and are working for off the field right now, that would probably be the saddest thing I could read from any alumni...acknowledging that we would all, of course, love to see our corps in finals. Perspective, folks. Patience. We want them to do well on the field and score as high as possible, but this is an organization that requires a look at the bigger picture right now and in the coming months.

The longterm survival of a corps named "The Crossmen" is the bigger picture to me. If there is no corps, there's no picture. In order to survive you need two things: money and members. I wish the corps placement didn't have an effect on both, but I fear it does. I'm just being realistic about it. I think the Crossmen and their alumni do a great job of maintaining an aura about the Crossmen that goes beyond scores and placement, but the realist in me thinks something more is needed longterm.

I was in the corps when we were in 24th. I was in the corps when we were disqualified and placed nowhere. I know what patience is.

I'm personally willing to accept if they come in 15th an 16th. But, I think it would be sad if we look at the recap at that time and see that there was one caption that held them down from being higher. That's because the members, I believe, are doing a wonderful job of pushing forward on the captions that are more in their hands. The fact that they moved closer to the Academy is because of their hard work and commitment. I hope they are proud because I'm proud of them.

They can make changes. And it's clear they have. I noticed several in the APD I heard from San Antonio. There are only so many hours in the day, however. My guess is that there are some more tweaks in the works and schedules need to be plotted out in order to make the kinds of changes they feel they need to make. These things take time, can't put em in all in one day. And by the end of the season, if it's not meant to be and they don't recover, then hopefully it will be a lesson learned. What I can say is that excellence does count for more than people think. If they tighten up the things they need to tighten up from a performance standpoint, their effect scores should rise as well, and then it's a matter of just seeing where everyone ends up.

Thanks. That's encouraging to hear.

Go Bones

I'm personally willing to accept if they come in 15th an 16th. But, I think it would be sad if we look at the recap at that time and see that there was one caption that held them down from being higher. That's because the members, I believe, are doing a wonderful job of pushing forward on the captions that are more in their hands. The fact that they moved closer to the Academy is because of their hard work and commitment. I hope they are proud because I'm proud of them.

If that caption is their downfall, then it's just something that didn't work out. Because I know they've already made changes and will likely make more to help bring that number up. In the end, if it doesn't work out, that's just life in a competitive activity. I agree the members are working hard to take care of that over which they have direct control, and I have to think the design team is doing their part as well. I'm encouraged by some of the changes I've already heard in the APD. :)

If that caption is their downfall, then it's just something that didn't work out. Because I know they've already made changes and will likely make more to help bring that number up. In the end, if it doesn't work out, that's just life in a competitive activity. I agree the members are working hard to take care of that over which they have direct control, and I have to think the design team is doing their part as well. I'm encouraged by some of the changes I've already heard in the APD. :)

4:30-4:35. They've got a couple of phrases like this where EVERYTHING gets swallowed up. If they can put in something that makes those transitions work... something that can be communicated to the crowd, that'll get 'em a little GE.

I'm also pleased with the boosts of volume they've found, esp. at the end of the opener.

Edited by bigCPApi

Teh Crossmen have come along way since there debut show here in San Antonio before tour started and they continue rising. I think from here on out theres nothing but growth ahead for the crossmen.

Ok, I'll probably get flamed for this post but whatever. No disrespect to Crossmen, love their corps, always have. With that said, the amount of DCP hype on Crossmen all winter was through the ROOF, and I think it is safe to say a LOT of people did not have their expectations met, considering the number of people that were predicting them 10th or higher. I will be FLOORED if this corps places higher than 15th in Semis. Crossmen will continue to improve, but so will everyone else, and their placements over the last month don't indicate an ability to compete with the corps consistently in the 14th and up range. I think it's a bit unrealistic to take one spread from one show and say they've got a shot a finals now. Just my opinion, but unrealsitic hype is one of my pet peaves.

<**> <**>

there are 18 billion POSITIVE threads about other corps on this forum and YOU have to ruin it with a negative post.

no one cares that you are possibly scared that your corps may get beaten or fall in the rankings. Predictions are silly and if you are still whining about stuff people said in the winter, you have got to lay off these boards. thanks for your comment, its just fuel to the fire.

good luck bones!

Cabbie hats for contras?

I wouldn't care if they bring them back (not a biggy), just as long as they keep the SHAKOs away from this corps!!

Amen, Amen, and Amen!!! I only left the souzie trailer 2 times in 95 to see the corps perform. I loved the kids but I couldn't stand the music and seeing the corps with shakos. After seeing the shako bond fire at Delray Beach High School after missing finals in 1983 I never thought I would see our corps in shakos again. Crossmen and shakos are like oil and water, they just don't mix.

Amen, Amen, and Amen!!! I only left the souzie trailer 2 times in 95 to see the corps perform. I loved the kids but I couldn't stand the music and seeing the corps with shakos. After seeing the shako bond fire at Delray Beach High School after missing finals in 1983 I never thought I would see our corps in shakos again. Crossmen and shakos are like oil and water, they just don't mix.

yeah or like if T.O. came back to the Eagles.