1984 Cadet's Drum Major

I noticed that the drum major for the Cadet's '84 season had a chevron on this right shoulder...is there any significant reason behind that chevron or just "military-isque" markings?

--Thought this would be a nice change from the normal topics :)

Thanks-

I noticed that the drum major for the Cadet's '84 season had a chevron on this right shoulder...is there any significant reason behind that chevron or just "military-isque" markings?

--Thought this would be a nice change from the normal topics :)

Thanks-

The old uniforms used to have them. I believe in the 40's. Check it out here. http://theholynamecadets.org/

How come they got rid of those? I think they add a lot to that uniform, though they aren't too big.

All Cadets DM's had the West Point style chevrons until 1985, when the corps got new uniform tops. I'm not sure why they decided to not continue them, but I know that 85 was the first year without them.

In some years, the drum and horn sargeant had the chevrons as well. You can see that the center snare had the chevrons in this photo from 1980:

Garfield_1980.jpg

I can't claim to know Rich Armstrong well, but I was at The University of Texas at Arlington from 87-92 when he was finishing up his Music Education degree. And we chatted occasionally during that time (I was also an aquaintance of his wife Denise during that time who was in the theater department and color guard in the marching band).

I just spoke with him briefly at the Dallas DCI show. Also, coincidentally talked with him for a bit in San Antonio this past Saturday night after the show. He was down there for the Texas Music Educators convention (and the DCI show) and happened to come into the dump of a Denny's where I was eating with a few friends who are band directors - and recognized my friend John and came over to visit.

He's currently still the head director at Waxahachie High School (about 20 miles south of Dallas). I'm supposed to send him a copy of a documentary video that DCI filmed in 84 that features the Garfield Cadets (since he doesn't have it). He said I could just send it to the school and put it to his attention. The address is at the top of the Waxahachie Band's website (http://www.band.wisd.org/Staff/WISD_staff.htm) I bet you could send him a letter to the same address (that's on the top of the Webpage) if you wanted to see if you can get his direct answer. (Since this thread was addressed to him.)

B)

The Chevron's are part of the original West Point Cadet uniform. I can honestly say that they probably went by the wayside because GH wanted to back away from the military ties that drum corps still has. He also did away with the Garfield patch after 1984.

The Chevron's are part of the original West Point Cadet uniform. I can honestly say that they probably went by the wayside because GH wanted to back away from the military ties that drum corps still has. He also did away with the Garfield patch after 1984.

That's a shame :(

That's a shame :(

I'm pretty sure (although not completely) that the bulk of the uniform jackets Garfield retired after '84 were part of a purchase of uniforms made in 1963.

One can only imagine the type of magic the uniform ladies had to undertake on a daily basis to keep those wool unis held together.

The uniforms from that period also had unusually long sashes. Someone told me that at one point the length of the sash indicated the number of years of membership in the corps. I never believed it, though.

Does anyone know if this is true. I can understand the visual necessity to standardize the sash length.

Egads, I didn't mean to add to the deluge of uniform talk on the board.

All Cadets DM's had the West Point style chevrons until 1985, when the corps got new uniform tops.

85?? I could've sworn it was 87 when they got new unis...the only design differences being a slightly shorter plume and drop sash.

85?? I could've sworn it was 87 when they got new unis...the only design differences being a slightly shorter plume and drop sash.

The shorter sash and uni change was 85. Thankfully, I lost a ton of weight in 90 and had to be refit. None of the newer unis would work so they pulled out one of the old Ghost's. I loved that crumbling old wool .... I felt invincible in it.