What DCI music is on your iPod? "Music appreciation for dummies&q

I just bought the platinum subscription from dci.org and have access to what seems like all drum corps shows since 1972 or something like that. I would like some recommendations of what to listen to in my car now. I marched in late 80s.

What I'm looking for is any genre of music, but music that is faithful to the original music it was taken from. No interpretations of original music. No "I can barely hear the original" in the music but they came in first place. This is drum corps music appreciation for dummies.

Think of it as what you would play for somebody new to the activity and want them to appreciate Shostakovich's Festive Overture but don't have access to any real orchestral CDs but do have 1985 and 1986 Santa Clara.

Cadets played lots of Berstein, but what years were they most faithful to Bernstein? What years of Blue Devils do you want to listen to on your iPod...not watch on the big screen. What years were Phantom most awesome to listen to.

Please include a synopsis of the music.

Here are some of mine favorites to listen to in the car.

1988 Blue Devils. Happy Days is just such a toe tapping jazz tune. Not hard in your face, but toe tapping big band great music. I've listened to more 1988 devils in my car than any year of any other drum corps. 1986 is also a favorite, but don't have it in my car. I will very soon though. :)

1988 and 1989 Santa Clara. Awesome music selection from Andrew Lloyd Weber. Truly a wonderful original piece of music done very well and faithful to original by Santa Clara. The whole show is a small snapshot of the entire musical production.

1989 Phantom. New World Symphony of Dvorak. Beautiful original classical music. Done very faithfully to the source. Would be proud to play for any non drum corps fan but likes classical music and specifically New World Symphony. Even the drum solo was a Dvorak piece.

1985 and 1986 Cavaliers. Gustav Holst's Planets. The Cavaliers version was faithful and awesome...haunting. I had heard bits and pieces of Gustav before, but hearing the Cavies do it made me go out and buy the original. How often does a drum corps show do that for you? Fantastic.

Thank you.

1996 Phantom Regiment

2003 Phantom Regiment

1993 Phantom Regiment

1995 Phantom Regiment

2005 Phantom Regiment (sensing a theme???)

1986 Blue Devils (Channel One Suite...'nuff said)

1989 Blue Devils (entire show is awesome even with the fracked solo)

1992 Blue Devils (you're not going to go wrong with that version of When a Man Loves a Woman)

2000 Blue Devils (those closer from North By Northwest)

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard (widely considered the definitive version of Russian Christmas Music)

1987 Cadets (widely considered the best version of Appalachian Spring)

1984 Cadets (West Side Story..no one else has come close even 23 years later)

2003 Cadets Malaguena (at least I think this was the best Malaguena) thought some will probably say 1988 Madison (very arguable, but second place for me)

1995 The Cavaliers (The Planets...not sure I've even been at a show where anyone has TRIED this since The Cavaliers did it)

iPod died recently, but it once had most of the top 12 from 1979 - 1996 and every year of Velvet Knights 1964 - 1996.

Paqs, thanks! Based on your Cadet recommendations. I never paid attention to 87 Cadets cause I was so sore they beat Santa Clara, but now I'm going to put those you listed on my ipod. I didn't know Cavies redid their Planets show in 95. I will definitely get that as well. But, can you discuss a bit more about your Phantom recommendations. What did they play?

92 Devs is a good example of what I'm looking for. It's a rock and roll love ballad, very rare in drum corps. But they did it right...the whole song is there and faithful to the original. Not "interpreted" or sampled or medleyed in 30 second portions. Those qualities aren't there for example in this years 2007 Cavies Billy Joel themes and not a good example of the type of music I'm looking for here. I know so little of the 90s and 2000s drum corps music. Please more recommendations. Doesn't have to be top 6 material either.

1996 Phantom Regiment

2003 Phantom Regiment

1993 Phantom Regiment

1995 Phantom Regiment

2005 Phantom Regiment (sensing a theme???)

1986 Blue Devils (Channel One Suite...'nuff said)

1989 Blue Devils (entire show is awesome even with the fracked solo)

1992 Blue Devils (you're not going to go wrong with that version of When a Man Loves a Woman)

2000 Blue Devils (those closer from North By Northwest)

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard (widely considered the definitive version of Russian Christmas Music)

1987 Cadets (widely considered the best version of Appalachian Spring)

1984 Cadets (West Side Story..no one else has come close even 23 years later)

2003 Cadets Malaguena (at least I think this was the best Malaguena) thought some will probably say 1988 Madison (very arguable, but second place for me)

1995 The Cavaliers (The Planets...not sure I've even been at a show where anyone has TRIED this since The Cavaliers did it)

A few to start:

1993 Blue Devils: Don Ellis...trust me, you wil love this show. Amazing solo and soli work, one o the last BD shows to be arranged in that "OG" way. "Strawberry Soup" is amazing. A great show for the car.

2003 Phantom Regiment: From Canon to modern composers, you'll find Phantom usually stays pretty close to the source even nowadays. This one is a sentimental favorite of a lot of people. Some overblowing, but tons of emotion.

1991 Bluecoats: "Nutville", "Palookaville" and "Whiter Shade of Pale". Balls out hornline, awesome show to tun up loud in the car. The middle number is a romp, with great sop solos.

1990 Madison Scouts: You mentioned "toe tapping"...."Lemon Squeeze" and "Remembrance" in this one define that kind of show to me.. straight ahead fun drum corps, even if Madison fell down the standings a little bit that year.

There are tons more, but these are ones I know you'll like. :)

Bawker, thank you so much!

A few to start:

1993 Blue Devils: Don Ellis...trust me, you wil love this show. Amazing solo and soli work, one o the last BD shows to be arranged in that "OG" way. "Strawberry Soup" is amazing. A great show for the car.

2003 Phantom Regiment: From Canon to modern composers, you'll find Phantom usually stays pretty close to the source even nowadays. This one is a sentimental favorite of a lot of people. Some overblowing, but tons of emotion.

1991 Bluecoats: "Nutville", "Palookaville" and "Whiter Shade of Pale". Balls out hornline, awesome show to tun up loud in the car. The middle number is a romp, with great sop solos.

1990 Madison Scouts: You mentioned "toe tapping"...."Lemon Squeeze" and "Remembrance" in this one define that kind of show to me.. straight ahead fun drum corps, even if Madison fell down the standings a little bit that year.

There are tons more, but these are ones I know you'll like. :)

If it's on the DCI Fan Network, it's on my iPod.

Seriously, I have everything from 1972 right up to Saturday night.

Bawker, thank you so much!

:)

I hope that you end up enjoying those as much as I have over the years.

Come back and tell us what you liked/didn't like... You'll find we're full of suggestions here. :P

Another one you might like I forgot in my other post is the Madison Scouts 1999 show, "Jesus Christ Superstar". Very loud hornline, a fun and enjoyable music book you can easily get into within even one listen.

Add some 90's stuff, like:

'90 Bluecoats (Duke Ellington...some really, really nice playing)

'90 Crossmen (New York Voices)

'91 Star (the Roman stuff)

'94 Crossmen (great stuff, like Land of Make Believe, and very well played!)

'94 Blue Knights (Trittico...very cool!)

Just some suggestions, but I've got 'em all on my Pod! :laugh: