Most intimidating drumline ever?

Rick, good point on BD being more relaxed than intimidating. But, I've always been curious about 86 in particular. Did you see them in the lot in 86? Did they have the intensity like you mention 27th worked at having?

Hi johnnytech - I never saw 86, but two of my buddies from 27th were in that snareline. I imagine they were pretty intense while playing - that was a good, hard book, and I really love that show. Great line, too, obviously. The thing that struck me about BD was that they were relaxed between exercises in the lot, and, going up to the shows - they'd kind of just walk up, relaxed. Then they would just get in line and turn it on. We were intense most of the time, with not much time to be really relaxed, so I imagine that kind of effects how you play. In a way, it uses energy, too, to be intense all the time. The most intense line in my memory was probably the Crossmen, though. I forgot to list them but they acted like they'd bite your head off!

One of the buddies I mentioned, one Steve Goselin (the shorter guy in the BD 86 line), was telling me that the instructors at BD were interested in 27th's east coast style, so he showed them some exercises. Steve said they were kind of chuckling when he told him that 27th would just keep going and going in exercises, which was totally true - it was kind of a macho thing to keep playing through the fatigue. Conversely, BD's style was to do a couple reps and stop, take a little break, repeat, rather than to keep repeating the exercise until quality suffered. Because of BD's stellar record and literal parade of great players, I cannot say 27th's endurance-centric method was necessarily the best method, but we did end up with some pretty good chops.

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by RickCogley

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11! 11 snare drums! A-A-A!

300px-CT-p0001-ST.jpg

11! 11 snare drums! A-A-A!

300px-CT-p0001-ST.jpg

:P

:P

You know you love the Count B)

I'm for the early 80s-84 Bridgemen. Not only could they play ungodly clean, but they also looked like they could kick your ###.

27th was also pretty intimidating in the early 80s. Northstar was a bit before my time, but people were still talking about them mid-80s.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I'm for the early 80s-84 Bridgemen. Not only could they play ungodly clean, but they also looked like they could kick your ###.

that's what I was thinking when I saw the thread title . . .

early 80's Bridgemen, intimidating on the field, in the lot and even more so in a dark alley.

88 Sky Ryders section leader was one of the more aggresive snare drummers I've witnessed. On the video you can see his intensity. His shako shakes violently after the drum solo. I remember him in particular while watching their warmups. Later I learned that he use to shout at the judges during the shows. He would brazenly dare them to come over and stand in front of the snare line during their snare break. It was an intense snare break as well.

I have seen so little live drum corps in the last 10 years, is this sort of old style intimidation out of place now?

Man I can't believe no one mentioned 87 BD!?!?!?!?! They played Frank Zappa's Enchinda's Arf (of you) that was the best line I have ever seen except 76 Bd and 75 SCV!

If any of you guys are going to finals, or the shows before finals, make sure you watch Impulse's drumline in the lot.

Appearently at our second show, they were warming up, and DCI Staff walked up to our battery caption and said, "You know you guys dont go on until 9:30." Niko, battery caption, told them, " we go on at about 7, so i dont know wat your talking about."

They thought we were BD's drumline