Cavie fans, help me...

Yes, you are right about what to take to heart in drum corps. However, this is a place for people to express their opinions. We're people. We like to talk and argue, even if no one's listening. Just like you've done. I am extremely grateful to you for volunteering, but don't throw that down on the rest of us in order to place yourself on this high pedestal. That how I read your post at least. If that's not thee case, let me know, but it sure does seem like it deep down.

There are many wonderful people here on this board that enjoy expressing their opinions and hearing others. Plus, a huge number of those have put in a ton of time and energy into this thing called drum corps that we all love. What I personally find most rewarding on here is arguing with someone and having the two of us understand where the other is coming from and get a better appreciation for something we're not used to. Not for the sake of getting my argument across, but from hearing the other. I've been lucky to have many of those opportunities about your corps The Cavaliers lately and am very thankful to have that.

People trash talk my corps ALL the time it seems like on here. Some of it is presented very well and some of it seems a bit childish. Same thing happens to every corps on here at some point. However, I'm not going to throw around these morals about the kids and how I marched there and now help them and other corps as often as I can. The majority of us understand exactly what you're talking about. We're just smart enough to realize this is a public forum made for people to come and chat. Not to mention the competition aspect brings out the best in us. Who would've thought?

I'll leave that up there as I don't really prefer when people edit out their stuff, unless it's per your request. The post is way too riled up and I needed to chill out. Your post just seemed rather patronizing to me, probably just b/c I read it wrong. My apologies.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are in the truck with Bill Dragland or Dan Horst GOOD LUCK!!!!! :P Kiddin' I drove the truck several years ago. It's a good gig.
I'm guessing his truck-mate will probably be Rudy Waldukat..and all his unique sense of humor brings with it..

:wub:

I drove a little with Bill Dragland last year, I think. Maybe it was 2005? Bill was great to spend time with, although CPI is his and Dan Horst's baby, sorta, if you can get Don Heitzman to stop worrying about everything while the Corps is out on the road. Great stories about the old days from Bill and Dan.

Rudy usually rides along with the cook truck and does whatever he is asked. I have met him before and would have a great time hanging out with him. I have pictures from the last three summers that include these folks, too. Maybe I should branch out and drive the green van or get my CDL and hang out on one of the busses for a week or two one summer. The drum bus scares me a little, though. :wub:

Edited by Gray3

For ten years I've been on the road volunteering from this past weekend to the end. God am I glad I have been. DCP seems to turn into a really ugly place this time of year. For all of you armchair wonders here is what it is all about:

Marchers who are hurt and working like hell to finish the season

Cooks who have lost so much weight they need to see a doctor

Drivers who are checking over their vehicles hoping they can nurse them up and down a mountain to get home

Girlfriends and boyfriends who know they have lost their special someone at home and are glad they marched anyway

Everyone is exhausted but lovin the activity enough to work as hard as they can to make whatever program they are marching the best it can be

Here is what it is not about:

It is not about you or your opinion. No one reads this stuff.....no one. No one cares enough about your life to write a show denigrating it. No one cares when or where you marched or what it was in the day. They are all too busy getting this years job done.

The Cavaliers videos are educational, they are meant for the hundreds of kids who want to march drumcorps. Me think some people project too much.

I vow I will never miss volunteering again, health permitting, it's a much more positive place to be.

So I have a question and LEGIT one at that. It was answered and then the wars start. You say no one reads it anyway, yet YOU READ IT. Are you a no one? Anyway, if drum corps is to exist for much longer, IT HAD BETTER CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK. Now go back to your middle schoolers... who could care less what their teacher has to say?

So I have a question and LEGIT one at that. It was answered and then the wars start. You say no one reads it anyway, yet YOU READ IT. Are you a no one? Anyway, if drum corps is to exist for much longer, IT HAD BETTER CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK. Now go back to your middle schoolers... who could care less what their teacher has to say?

Thanks.....you asked cavies fans for help and their opinion, I gave you mine. Sorry I didn't live "up" to your expectations.

Kathy

The drum bus scares me a little, though. :wub:

BAH! They're just a bunch of boys.. nothing to be scared of...

well.. okay maybe.. but I guarantee you won't fall asleep behind the wheel.. :)

Stef

For ten years I've been on the road volunteering from this past weekend to the end. God am I glad I have been. DCP seems to turn into a really ugly place this time of year. For all of you armchair wonders here is what it is all about:

Drivers who are checking over their vehicles hoping they can nurse them up and down a mountain to get home

Girlfriends and boyfriends who know they have lost their special someone at home and are glad they marched anyway

Everyone is exhausted but lovin the activity enough to work as hard as they can to make whatever program they are marching the best it can be

It is not about you or your opinion. No one reads this stuff.....no one. No one cares enough about your life to write a show denigrating it. No one cares when or where you marched or what it was in the day. They are all too busy getting this years job done.

The Cavaliers videos are educational, they are meant for the hundreds of kids who want to march drumcorps. Me think some people project too much.

I vow I will never miss volunteering again, health permitting, it's a much more positive place to be.

There is a major flaw with this argument. DRUM CORPS is not about our opinions, and it is about all the great things you mentioned in your post. DCP, however, is completely about my (and others) opinions, where we marched, and what it was like then. I share your sentiment with regard to the fact that noone designs a show just to offend certain people, and that attitude is often portrayed here. I am always amused when someone comes here and mercilessly bashes what we do on dcp. In some cases we represent the most die-hard fans of the activity, and the kids on the field going through all that; that used to be us. People who attend shows and discuss their merits; that will be them. Please tell me again how that's not worth something. Noone ever said we were changing the world; we're just sharing a passion in one of the only ways possible for most of us.

Did he say they did both at the same time? I thought he said that over the course of 10 minutes running and playing is demanding. I didn't see the part about doing it at the same time so I thought he meant doing both in that span of time, not necessarily together.

That's what I got out of that one sentence but I realize other people may have read more into it than was actually there.

I guess we see what we want to see.

Stef

And some people imply more than what is written. Sometimes, it isn't always black and white.

I guess we see/imply what we want to.

This is true!!! My son said they never read DCP while they were touring (he aged out last year for those who don't know yet). Spend some time with the Corps, any of them, and see how rewarding that is! The kids put their hearts on the field everyday in practice and performance! It is about them and the entertainment they provide us!

neither, the first one is a urinal, the second a piece of carved out plaster, the third a car. i spent alot of time in the art world, but then i realized that i didnt want to be poor for the rest of my life, so i bailed and got a real job. art has no definition other than it is simply called art. its actually quite an anomaly in language when you think about it. its almost beautiful and dissapointing at the same time. thats how the above three images can still be quite valid peices of art. as well as drumcorps, or football, or synchronized swimming.

CAn you come teach this to my 8th graders! I have a hard time teaching them how to accept some things as art. Like the description you gave. Art is art for the person who is viewing it. I thought of the same urinal when the first post came up about art. Now minimialist art, that is something else! Ugh!! I am still in the art world, but as a teacher.

Hmm, Like dressing their guard up like robots? Deep, my friend, deep.

Either you love the Cavies, or you don't. I don't. Sorry.

That was truly art!!! Every corp dresses the guard according to the show. Hence the art of fashion design!