"The Cadets" 2007 DCI World Champions

Nah man, I agree with y'all who think the Cadets have a superior package this year. I mean, with or without narration, their program works - all selections have "This I Believe" in common - even if there was no talking during the show. Aside from that, their hornline sounds with characteristic Cadets sound - so, yeah, I'm down with the Cadets taking a title and recieving credit for incorrect brass playing and and ensemble sound that resembles a train horn. At least they're "loud", right? That's the message we want to send from a corps that has "Youth Education" as their entire motivation. Loud is the best, despite the fact that you are not playing your horns with a correct sound. Baritones, play louder - you sound too much like a euphonium.

Heck, if I were a college tuba/euphonium professor - I'd HOPE my students would go to the Cadets so I can rebuild their face at the beginning of each fall semester.

So, yeah - Cadets can win, as you can see, I'm down. Like I said, Cavies have had their turn.

Woah, incorrect brass playing? That's a first. I'll let Gino know how incorrect you THINK it is. Funny how the judges don't think it's incorrect. But whatever. Cadets are still good regardless.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah man, I agree with y'all who think the Cadets have a superior package this year. I mean, with or without narration, their program works - all selections have "This I Believe" in common - even if there was no talking during the show. Aside from that, their hornline sounds with characteristic Cadets sound - so, yeah, I'm down with the Cadets taking a title and recieving credit for incorrect brass playing and and ensemble sound that resembles a train horn. At least they're "loud", right? That's the message we want to send from a corps that has "Youth Education" as their entire motivation. Loud is the best, despite the fact that you are not playing your horns with a correct sound. Baritones, play louder - you sound too much like a euphonium.

Heck, if I were a college tuba/euphonium professor - I'd HOPE my students would go to the Cadets so I can rebuild their face at the beginning of each fall semester.

So, yeah - Cadets can win, as you can see, I'm down. Like I said, Cavies have had their turn.

I agree. If dancing and rolling around on the ground were enough to vault the Cavies into the top spot in years past, I see no reason why it shouldn't be working for them again this year.

Man...I've got a really great idea. Why dont you lace all your posts with incredible sarcasm so everyone can see how clever you are....then maybe they'll agree with you :wall: . And my euphonium professor never had a problem with me (or his student from peabody) marching cadets, if anything he thought it was great (he never marched drum corps).

The Cavaliers should surely receive 3rd (or lower) because they've won too much this decade and it's simply not fair.

I must say to me this is silly. The Cavies should win EVERY year they put the best show on the field even if that's more times than you like. :)

I must say to me this is silly. The Cavies should win EVERY year they put the best show on the field even if that's more times than you like. :)

psst....he's being sarcastic :wall:

Woah, incorrect brass playing? That's a first. I'll let Gino know how incorrect you THINK it is. Funny how the judges don't think it's incorrect. But whatever. Cadets are still good regardless.

I rest assured knowing that I am not the only one who thinks the Cadets play with an incorrect sound. In my remarks, I think I made it clear that I found it funny how the Cadets are being rewarded for such sounds. Of course, I am no DCI brass judge. I've not heard the activity for as many years as they have! I've simply cluttered my young ears with sounds that have a good, resonant, colorful quality. I guess my experience listening to ensembles that foster these sort of philosophies is incorrect. I suppose with my concept of sound, I would thus be unable to ever teach at an organization like the Cadets. I'm not educationally-minded enough...

While you inform Mr. Cipriani that some pip-squeak on DCP thinks his hornline sounds crass, I'll be sure to alert those who have contributed to my enrichment of correct brass playing to focus more on loud playing. After all, that's what brass performance is all about, right?

I'll start my letter with one of the masters, in my opinion:

Dear Emory Remington,

It has come to my attention that your concept of brass playing is deemed incorrect as it is not encouraging what is correct in brass playing. I feel my sounds, though resonant and characteristic in quality, are simply not loud enough...

I have always had a sixth sense about these things and have been correct many times,

I see The Cadets taking their 10th World Championship in Pasadena with a Score of 98.775

So, I thought I would throw it out there, How many aggree with me????????

Paul

I agree.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I rest assured knowing that I am not the only one who thinks the Cadets play with an incorrect sound. In my remarks, I think I made it clear that I found it funny how the Cadets are being rewarded for such sounds. Of course, I am no DCI brass judge. I've not heard the activity for as many years as they have! I've simply cluttered my young ears with sounds that have a good, resonant, colorful quality. I guess my experience listening to ensembles that foster these sort of philosophies is incorrect. I suppose with my concept of sound, I would thus be unable to ever teach at an organization like the Cadets. I'm not educationally-minded enough...

While you inform Mr. Cipriani that some pip-squeak on DCP thinks his hornline sounds crass, I'll be sure to alert those who have contributed to my enrichment of correct brass playing to focus more on loud playing. After all, that's what brass performance is all about, right?

Dear Emory Remington,

It has come to my attention that your concept of brass playing is deemed incorrect as it is not encouraging what is correct in brass playing. I feel my sounds, though resonant and characteristic in quality, are simply not loud enough...

You are of course, entitled to your opinion, and you will find several people on here that agree with you (mostly crown and cavie folks). You will also find, however, that many people lament the fact that todays hornlines do not play nearly loud enough, and that it was better in the old day on G bugles. Where does the truth lie??...I would say wherever you want it to. I dont suppose you realize how silly you sound when you pontificate to a group of mature (mostly) adults that you and your peers know what "the correct brass sound" is, and that other groups do not have it. I have always been of the mind that adjustments must be made for outdoor playing, and that there is more than one correct approach to playing (just as there is to marching / drumming).

Speaking from personal experience, while gino may like to crank things up a bit, he is still very concerned with tone quality and blend. Much of the summer is spent on eliminating stickouts, or people who pierce through the ensemble due to poor tone / quality. Perhaps he may not emphasize it enough for you, but that does not mean that he is 'wrong', and you are 'right'. Your throwing around of big names doesnt really change the 'fact' that this is a subjectively judged activity, and that various approaches will work in different circumstances.

Dear Emory Remington,

I also agree. And if the Cadets only had to musically clean a brass book of two pages that consist of whole notes, half notes, and sporadically placed 3-measure long melody lines, I'm sure their tone quality would be on par with The Almighty Cavaliers.

Now if you'll excuse me... I need to go do some somersaults.