"The Cadets" 2007 DCI World Champions

I'm not sure you and I are reading the same forum.

Let's just say that there are more than not. :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are of course, entitled to your opinion, and you will find several people on here that agree with you (mostly crown and cavie folks). You will also find, however, that many people lament the fact that todays hornlines do not play nearly loud enough, and that it was better in the old day on G bugles. Where does the truth lie??...I would say wherever you want it to. I dont suppose you realize how silly you sound when you pontificate to a group of mature (mostly) adults that you and your peers know what "the correct brass sound" is, and that other groups do not have it. I have always been of the mind that adjustments must be made for outdoor playing, and that there is more than one correct approach to playing (just as there is to marching / drumming).

Speaking from personal experience, while gino may like to crank things up a bit, he is still very concerned with tone quality and blend. Much of the summer is spent on eliminating stickouts, or people who pierce through the ensemble due to poor tone / quality. Perhaps he may not emphasize it enough for you, but that does not mean that he is 'wrong', and you are 'right'. Your throwing around of big names doesnt really change the 'fact' that this is a subjectively judged activity, and that various approaches will work in different circumstances.

Wow, I stop posting and paying too much attention to DCP and look what's going on... Classic! Same old crap...

Gino is awsome....

Cavies folk are awsome....

Crown staff is awsome.... And they're different than the Cavie folk. Don't forget they have their own brass philosophy...

Have fun duking it out here on DCP!

Wow, I stop posting and paying too much attention to DCP and look what's going on... Classic! Same old crap...

Gino is awsome....

Cavies folk are awsome....

Crown staff is awsome.... And they're different than the Cavie folk. Don't forget they have their own brass philosophy...

Have fun duking it out here on DCP!

You are awesome...

just kidding...way to contribute <**>

Is it really bad tone, improper and inconsistent? I think you are full of it to make that claim. I think they sound wonderful. There is not just one way to approach tone, technique, and volume on a brass instrument, and I can assure you that their warm ups use as much Emory Remington philosophy and tone/technique application as the next corps. The Chicago Orchestra brass section played vastly different from that of the Cleveland Orchestra or the New York Philharmonic, especially the sections in the 70s/80s. Chicago often used more edge, more brilliance to the sound. The Cleveland sound was vastly different, but no less musical. And NY with Smith and Alessi going at it can really wail when they need to and they know how to apply the edge. These are amazing musicians.

You hit the nail on the head. There is only one "ideal" sound if notes are played in a vacuum, isolated from the intent of the composer, the conductor and the musician. Even then, there is no "ideal" in the sense of being uniform between cultures.

Here's how I would LIKE to see it; (while still being within the realm of possibility)

1. Cavies

2. Devils

3. Cadets

4. Phantom

5. Crown

6. Bluecoats

7. Santa Clara

8. Boston

9. B. Knights

10. Glassmen

11. Madison

12. Blue Stars

well, there is always the power of positive thought

The Aluminum going to Cadets at 4th.

This I believe.

Hahahahaha, funniest #### I've heard in a while, not to mention that i agree 100%!!! :worthy: