Drum corps audio AS IT SHOULD BE....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mickey and Minnie's ears do work!

I don't know what the heell I'm looking at, but whatever it is looks pretty cool.

So Mickey and Minnie's ears do work!

Those are acoustic baffles for the surround sound mix. The engineers used 4 world-class omnidirectional mics (one at each corner of "Mickie's head") placed in Rycote windscreens (those gray football shaped things). Omnis are superior than other mic pickup patterns for picking up low frequency information. The baffles help create acoustical "shadows" in the recorded signal that permit the surround mix to have the desired effect on playback.

Also, keeping all mics in such close proximity (instead of DCI's poor practice of spreading them out across the front of the field) means that the recording retains plase coherent info pretty well, meaning that drumlines won't sound like dirty fuzz!

Mouth is watering here.... wanna hear it....

Edited by hughesmr

Mouth is watering here.... wanna hear it....

Amen to that! Here's hoping they get this on CD or iTunes ASAP. :blink::music:

Also, keeping all mics in such close proximity (instead of DCI's poor practice of spreading them out across the front of the field) means that the recording retains plase coherent info pretty well, meaning that drumlines won't sound like dirty fuzz!

Oh man...can you imagine a standstill recording of each of the Top 12 doing this?

do-want.jpg

Oh man...can you imagine a standstill recording of each of the Top 12 doing this?

do-want.jpg

On one hand, I'd say go whole hog and produce an audio of finals night using this technology. But would such a recording be too clear? I imagine it would pick up a few too many blemishes (cracked notes, battery dirt, brass imbalances) that would be a bit too distracting for many listeners. I agree that a standstill would be just terrific, but something tells me a recording of a full performance would be a bit much.