corps jackets

corps jakcet  

52 members have voted

1. 1. is it ok to wear a corps jacket from an inactive/folded corps?

• yes, but only from an inactive corps
    • yes, but only from a folded corps
    • depends on why the corps is inactive/folded
    • no.
  2. 2. Have you ever recieved angry/rude comments because you wore your corps jacket?

• yes
    • no
    • yes, however that person no longer has limbs

Didn't vote because there wasn't an option that was just "Yes"

Bad poll.....okay to wear any corps jacket anytime. With the exception of wearing ANYother corps gear while at your new corps. One poster said that STAR didn't care what you wore.....that's kinda cool. When I was a rookie I always wanted to wear my favorite tee shirt.....the red SCV snare line shirt. I was never allowed.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are marching in corps X, you should not wear the jacket of corps Y to corp X activities. It does not matter whether corps Y folded, or you won DCI with them.

I agree that this would be in poor taste, and that if the corps management didn't come up to you and ask that you not wear another corps jacket to their rehearsal/practice, certainly the veteran members of this persons new corps should ask him/her to try and show some class and loyalty to his/her NEW corps.

But I still don't see anywhere in the original post where it says anything about wearing a different corps jacket to another corps rehearsal. I see that it asks only if it would be appropriate to wear a corp jacket of an inactive or folded corps.

So this is supposed to mean that anyone who was in Star of Indiana should NEVER wear their old corps jackets now? Ever? Because a handful of people see something wrong with that in their minds?

Come on...

I've noticed that it is only in the last few years that for some reason members have switched their feelings about wearing their jackets to something that is... I don't know... some kind of "problem" than it was in the previous 50+ years before that. I wore mine ALL the time when I was in... to school, parties, everywhere. I don't understand what happened...

Did someone who didn't buy a corps jacket somewhere decide to have a go at a campaign to make people who had one feel "guilty" about wearing them? Or some over-zealous vet make rookies feel as though they didn't "deserve" to wear a corps jacket "yet"... I'm really trying to understand.

Wear your corps jacket and t shirts proudly folks... that's what they're for!

Edited by GGarrett

It's ok to wear your jacket. I think what may have happened if you marched esperanza, was that the people weer venting their dissatisfaction with your corps' former leadership.

Nailed it on the head there.

Assuming that you yourself are not directly responsible for the corps folding, I can't imagine why you shouldn't wear your corps jacket.

God knows that if I had marched in a corps, I'd want the whole freaking world to know.

Edited by jthomas666

I agree that this would be in poor taste, and that if the corps management didn't come up to you and ask that you not wear another corps jacket to their rehearsal/practice, certainly the veteran members of this persons new corps should ask him/her to try and show some class and loyalty to his/her NEW corps.

But I still don't see anywhere in the original post where it says anything about wearing a different corps jacket to another corps rehearsal. I see that it asks only if it would be appropriate to wear a corp jacket of an inactive or folded corps.

So this is supposed to mean that anyone who was in Star of Indiana should NEVER wear their old corps jackets now? Ever? Because a handful of people see something wrong with that in their minds?

Come on...

I've noticed that it is only in the last few years that for some reason members have switched their feelings about wearing their jackets to something that is... I don't know... some kind of "problem" than it was in the previous 50+ years before that. I wore mine ALL the time when I was in... to school, parties, everywhere. I don't understand what happened...

Did someone who didn't buy a corps jacket somewhere decide to have a go at a campaign to make people who had one feel "guilty" about wearing them? Or some over-zealous vet make rookies feel as though they didn't "deserve" to wear a corps jacket "yet"... I'm really trying to understand.

Wear your corps jacket and t shirts proudly folks... that's what they're for!

I'm trying to understand this as well. So, should an alternate be "allowed" to wear/own a jacket? I know of a recent situation where an alternate's jacket was taken away by a vet because the vet felt that as an alternate this kid didn't deserve one. I guess I can understand both sides.

an alternate is a part of the corps... and just because he/she is an alternate, he or she isn't an alternate to any OTHER corps during that time.

Seems silly to force them to not wear a jacket representing the corps they were alternates to. I SUPPOSE if it was a big deal, the vets could make sure the person gets one of the lesser expensive corps jackets available, if there is one. (ie: Madison has their famous felt one with the fleur on it, but they also have a windbreaker-like jacket as well)

I wore my Dad's old Skokie Vanguard jacket to Cavalier winter guard rehearsals. It was thick wool, warm and cool looking. Some of the other corps members gave me a hard time about it because there was some sort of unwritten rule about wearing other corps stuff. Since the corps was long folded, and it was my old mans, they allowed me to wear it. One rookie, Dave Wiles, had his SCV shirt ripped off his back during warmups one night. This was the last time I saw anyone wearing another corps colors.