Any BINGHAMPTON reviewers?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps my earlier posting in this thread was a tad harsh...sorry...however, it does seem to me that the judging this year is more about ranking and placement than scoring spreads, which is not necessarily incorrect because a judges first responsiblity is to rank. That being said, having witnessed the major contenders, IMHO the Bucs are the class of the circuit at this stage of the game and by more than the point spreads are indicating. But, you know what they say about opinions (especially mine!). This opinion is one that is shared by many folks I have spoken with. However, I have never posted that I think the Bucs are "unbeatable" as many others have. The Bucs have simply raised the bar which will hopefully be a good thing for the entire circuit in the years to come. Game on!!

Oh, I think ESM1 took it to heart when someone (SHIMES) mentioned that Joey Pero should be in the drill. He only mentioned Joey, not the rest of the soloists. ESM1 got a little bent out of shape on that one. Actually, the people are getting tired of seeing him ONLY in the pit area for the past few years. Can't he march? Maybe he has a problem we all don't know about.?

Still, love the corps though.....I would just love to see a big ending to the show to make the people go crazy. It just ends to abruptly. Please change it before DCA.

I hardly call her post "bent out of shape."

Oh, I think ESM1 took it to heart when someone (SHIMES) mentioned that Joey Pero should be in the drill. He only mentioned Joey, not the rest of the soloists. ESM1 got a little bent out of shape on that one. Actually, the people are getting tired of seeing him ONLY in the pit area for the past few years. Can't he march? Maybe he has a problem we all don't know about.?

Still, love the corps though.....I would just love to see a big ending to the show to make the people go crazy. It just ends to abruptly. Please change it before DCA.

We actually changed the ending sometime last month....although I can't remember exactly when. The summer just goes by too quickly.

BTW.... Regina definitly didn't get bent out of shape.......she's just mentioning us lowly guys that never get mentioned. We all love Joey and Ritchie for what they bring to our corps.

One last thing.....I've seen Joey march.....we like him right where he is :P

Perhaps my earlier posting in this thread was a tad harsh...sorry...however, it does seem to me that the judging this year is more about ranking and placement than scoring spreads, which is not necessarily incorrect because a judges first responsiblity is to rank. That being said, having witnessed the major contenders, IMHO the Bucs are the class of the circuit at this stage of the game and by more than the point spreads are indicating. But, you know what they say about opinions (especially mine!). This opinion is one that is shared by many folks I have spoken with. However, I have never posted that I think the Bucs are "unbeatable" as many others have. The Bucs have simply raised the bar which will hopefully be a good thing for the entire circuit in the years to come. Game on!!

Being one of those who pounced on the earlier post, I would like to thank you for offering a clarification and honest apology.

When I was young and naive, and willing to swallow a lot of propaganda, I all too readily believed in the fallibility and maybe even corruptibility of those who judge the marching arts. Over the years, I have learned, that while not perfect, they truly perform a difficult task as well as anyone could. Maybe a number, like the spread, is off (as VOReason relates, judges rank first, rate second) once or twice, but if it happens repeatedly, it's probably true.

As I said, Bucs may lap the whole field. And it may come down to a 0.05 margin (or less, considering the DCA math). We shall see in just a few weeks.

On a related, yet unconnected subject, yes, Shane is exactly right: Joey is just perfect right where he is. (Joey marching = <shudder>)

QUOTE(topsops @ Aug 8 2007, 11:53 AM)

I took nothing to heart and I am not bent out of shape about anything. My post was not directed at anyone in particular nor did I mean to stir up any controversy.

I merely intended to point out that not all of our soloists this year stood in the pit (as was mentioned twice in this very thread and various times in others) and to give those guys some well deserved recognition for the contributions they make to our program. We could not do a true Maynard tribute show with out each and every one of them.

Besides I think Christine and Shane both covered why Joey Pero doesn't march. :P

Thank you again to all who have posted how much they enjoy our program.

See you on the field.

Regina Quinn

Empire Statesmen

Lead Mellophone

The comment from Shane about Joey staying in the pit instead of marching was one of the funniest I've read in a while. LOL, and then I read someone else agrees with him....thanks guys, I needed the laugh to get me thru the rest of the day.

Good luck at DCA

Oh, Regina, I've heard the 'newer' ending to the show, it needs to be a BIG directed ending that will tear the house down....The Statesmen can do it. Please suggest it......we want MORE!!!

2) Crusaders beat the Brigs in total brass. Does that mean Cru has a Top 6 brass line, or that the Brigs have an 11th place brass line?

what do you think?