Music City Metal

It's 100 degrees with 100% humidity. Welcome to the South! Afternoon rain followed by the evening rain that left a nice fog everywhere.

I will post the photo of the stadium from my seat when photobucket completes their maintenance.

Shenandoah Sound: 6 brass. Fun show w/ good arrangements and a much drill as you can get with 6 brass. This was actually a much better group than I have seen in the past from them. They did manage to hit a 90 on the dB meter. All of the people around me were quite surprised.

Derby City Knights: 11 brass. From the first note of the warm up, it was obvious that this was a "breath dah" group. They had a great sound. They took on charts that are NOT easy to pull off with a small ensemble. They did a very good job with them. They managed to pull off a 96dB reading.

Alliance: 15 brass. This show had a nice design to it. Very good guard, solid drumline, and a very nice brass sound. The show was hurt by a lack of trumpets (yes, trumpets. Alliance is multi-key). With the addition of the needed horns (it looked like the show was written for 20), this show could contend for the class A title. They hit an 88 on the dB meter.

Gulf Coast Sound: 20 brass. Absolutely a HUGE step up from the last couple of years. This is a FUN show. The hornline has a great sound. The only hitch were a few chops that didn't have enough left after rehearsing all day, but over all it was really good quality. There's not alot of movement and the drumline needs some work. These things can be fixed by Rah-cha-cha and they could have a very high finish. They managed a 101 on the dB meter!

CorpsVets: 44 brass. This is a show all about the drum corps fan. It's fun, good, and LOUD. Great soloist all around, even Rob Scott (how the hell that happened shall remain as confusing to the world as much as the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop ^0^ ). When the drill in "Remembrance" cleans up, it will be very nice. The mellophone hat dance, cha-cha, or whatever they're calling it, is SWEEEEET. CV popped 110dB on the meter. The people around me watching the meter were shocked.

Music City Legend: 25 brass. This is a wildly entertaining show. Even as a brass guy, the story here to me is their 3 man snare line playing some CRAAAZZZZY notes. If you get to see this corps, pay them some attention. I say that because it's easy to miss with so much going on. The hornline is wailing, the guard is kicking, and the pit soloists tend to grab your attention (contras playing in the soprano range will do that!) There are some very great solos that happen outside of the pit also. (they even cut off with the rest of the corps ^0^ ). MCL nailed a solid 99 on the dB meter.

Now, just for a couple of other dB readings to help respark the G/Bb debate.

After the show, there were parking lot concerts. Instead of being at the pressbox, I stood right behind the DM podium.

MCL = 108dB

CV = 117dB at the end of Georgia!

Just to add fuel to the fire, here are the readings I posted in the DCI reviews forum for the Tupelo, MS show.

Memphis = 94db (27 horns)

Pioneer = 92db (41 horns)

Cascades = 95db (57 horns)

Blue Stars = 97db (72 horns)

Glassmen = 95db (70 horns)

Bluecoats = 97db (70 horns)

BD = 98db (70 horns)

Let the rants begin!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... even Rob Scott (how the hell that happened shall remain as confusing to the world as much as the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop ^0^ ).

eh.... thanks? B)

Music City Legend: 25 brass. This is a wildly entertaining show. Even as a brass guy, the story here to me is their 3 man snare line playing some CRAAAZZZZY notes. If you get to see this corps, pay them some attention. I say that because it's easy to miss with so much going on. The hornline is wailing, the guard is kicking, and the pit soloists tend to grab your attention (contras playing in the soprano range will do that!) There are some very great solos that happen outside of the pit also. (they even cut off with the rest of the corps ^0^ ). MCL nailed a solid 99 on the dB meter.

Thanks for the review, and the props for the snare line. We have a lot of fun! The book is crazy, and fun to play. We'd love to have another tenor player to go with the crazy kid we've got now.

We've still got some tricks up our sleeve for the next set of shows. A full weekend of rehearsal next week should prove beneficial...

There are some very great solos that happen outside of the pit also. (they even cut off with the rest of the corps ^0^ )

Thanks man,,That just made my day. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Just to add fuel to the fire, here are the readings I posted in the DCI reviews forum for the Tupelo, MS show.

Memphis = 94db (27 horns)

Pioneer = 92db (41 horns)

Cascades = 95db (57 horns)

Blue Stars = 97db (72 horns)

Glassmen = 95db (70 horns)

Bluecoats = 97db (70 horns)

BD = 98db (70 horns)

Let the rants begin!

Your not saying that G bugles play LOUDER than Bb do you???

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Like tell me something I don't already know. :P :P :P :P :P

thanks for the kind words about the show, stacy. we're having a lot of fun with it. definitely the best production MCL has ever put on the field. a fairly complete show (more to add) that tells a story visually and musically, yet ties it all together for an enjoyable theme. i'm proud of it and there's more to come.

while i was quite busy throughout the day, i'll throw in a few comments of my own...

DCK - heard you guys throughout the day and it sounded good. a challenging book for a first year group and handled admirably.

ALLIANCE - from what i heard/saw of their rehearsal, alliance sounded/looked good. granted they were on the hill (upper left of stacy's picture above) and i was on the podium down in the stadium, but i was impressed none the less. congrats and i hope i can see the show during the atlanta weekend.

GCS - the story of the weekend. i was IMMENSELY impressed with them. a very FUN and very well played musical book. i saw the last half of their VERY short rehearsal (due to no AC on the bus for 15+ hours) and do see a need for visual changes to boost their score. but musically this group has made great strides from seasons past. what a fun book. i know our guard was sitting in the stands during their runthrough at the stadium and we were all singing along. CONGRATS TO GCS!

CV - what else to say? i LOVE their show. a blast for the fans and the performers. they handle the musical charts extremely well and the crowd eats it up. i didn't see their performance so i cannot really comment on the visual side of things this weekend. looking forward to seeing it in 2 weeks in rockmart. oh yeah, they tore up the parking lot!!!!! this corps knows how to perform and they really let it hang out for the crowd. thanks CV!

another thank you to corpsvets for sitting in the back stands for MCL's performance and cheering us on. it was a great feeling to look beyond the corps i was conducting and see you all, in uniform, in the back stands cheering for us. truly classy and much appreciated. i'll let a hornline member comment on how it felt to have you all cheering them on during their backfield warmup...

thanks again! see you all soon. travel safely.

:mmm:

GCS - the story of the weekend. i was IMMENSELY impressed with them.

I absolutely agree. THE story of the weekend IMHO. Keep working hard and I just know you'll be pleasantly rewarded in Rochester.

ROCK ON!

Derby City Knights: 11 brass. From the first note of the warm up, it was obvious that this was a "breath dah" group. They had a great sound. They took on charts that are NOT easy to pull off with a small ensemble. They did a very good job with them. They managed to pull off a 96dB reading.
DCK - heard you guys throughout the day and it sounded good. a challenging book for a first year group and handled admirably.

Thank you both for the very kind words. We love the time we had in Nashville, and look forward to seeing all the corps again in Rockmart. We came down with the attitude that we were going to have some fun and turn some heads, and I do believe we accomplished those goals.

I will also say that I was amazed by GCS. Bravo for the progress you guys and gals have made, and just keep pushing to the end of the season. And I will say that the DCK Contras had a blast hanging with the GCS Contras after the parking lot stand still.

THanks for the review Stacy. :) I really enjoyed the performance and especially the jam afterwards. That was fun! It was cool to meet a lot of people from different corps. Everyone was so nice and I look forward to seeing you all again.

June07123.jpg