Music City Metal

That would be Josh. He is our very special 3rd-year rookie :P

(We love him and his daddy Tom dearly-both great sources of entertainment for the corps!)

Thanks for all the positive feedback for our show! We had a great time in Nashville and can't wait for the next time we all get together in Rockmart.

Josh also had a great solo!

Can't wait to see that energy again in Rockmart!

Loud is good!

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Yes I did.Did you pass basic spelling? :P

Lets see,,

Murph posted

If we use your fuzzy math formula of "Different stadiums = different accoustics formula

MCL Starts off with a 108

We throw in your formula of some stadiums you were 110 some you were 100,,,,thats a ten point deficit

So

Mcl minus 108 take off 10 fuzzy math formulas we still have a 98.Same db that Murph posted about BD.

108 -10 =98

Double checked it in the calculator,,its still a 98 :P

And that folks is your math lesson for the day. B)

The 108 reading was not taken in the stadium, Ed. It was taken at the parking lot show where Murph was standing about 8 feet from Joe and I's bell and the bass and gong in the pit...and about 12 feet from the baritone's bells. Go back and check the reading Murph took in the stadium and our reading for MCL was 99. That is quite a difference.

Now, you will probably say something to the effect of "well then, see? We were one DB louder than BD in the stadium. That is where my different stadiums, different = different accoustics comes into play. And there is nothing fuzzy about it. I've witnessed it first hand with my own DB meter all summer. And if you want to know an example, I tested BD with it once at a show this summer and from the 40 yard line side two at the top of the lower level, I got 104. Not even on the 50. Yet, Murph took a reading from the 50 at another show and only got a reading of 98. So see, you really can't compare unless it's at the same stadium and in the same spot. Some stadiums have cement builds. Others wood. Some are complete bowls. Others are not. Some have a contour. Others don't. All of these different variables change the way a DB meter reads.

Now, in MCL's defence. I have to admit that I am extremely proud of how big of a sound we get for such a small hornline. But lets not be ridiculous and think that we are as loud or louder than the Blue Devils. We aren't.

The other thing I will add regarding the DB meter. I read some literature regarding sound and DB levels a while back. A DB reading is not proportional. Example: 100 DB's is twice the volume of 80... but 110 is twice the volume of 105...and 112 is twice the volume of 110. So when you compare these DB levels, you have to understand that even though some of them might only say that you are 5 or 10 less, it is often a huge difference in volume.

Edited by torn8o

You can only be louder if you're in the same stadium, right Ed? ^0^

Sorry, Torn8o, I couldn't resist.

b**bs :satisfied: :lolhit: ^OO^

errr...

In regards to db readings, I was taught that a 3db change anywhere on the logarithm represents a doubling of power:

(from Wikipedia)

An increase of 3 dB corresponds to an approximate doubling of power. (In exact terms, the factor is 103/10, or 1.9953, about 0.25% different from exactly 2.) Since in many electrical applications power is proportional to the square of voltage, an increase of 3 dB implies an increase in voltage by a factor of approximately ?2, or about 1.414. Similarly, an increase of 6 dB corresponds to approximately four times the power and twice the voltage, and so on.

Obviously, they're talking about power there...

ANYhow...

G rules.

OOOO! Just came across this:

According to Paul Tipler's Physics For Scientists and Engineers (Third Edition, 1991 by Worth Publishers):

Normal breathing 10dB

Soft whisper (at 5m) 30dB

Normal conversation 60dB

Busy traffic 70dB

Average factory 80dB

Niagara Falls 90dB

Point being, we were all louder than Niagra Falls.

There.

Edited by CVQuesty

errr...

In regards to db readings, I was taught that a 3db change anywhere on the logarithm represents a doubling of power:

(from Wikipedia)

Obviously, they're talking about power there...

ANYhow...

G rules.

OOOO! Just came across this:

There.

:D Shen Sound = Niagra Falls :D

SWEET :doh:

G rules. See you in Rockmart/Alhparetta!

errr...

ANYhow...

G rules.

You can say that again. :doh::doh::doh::doh:

CorpsVets... I mean what can I say really other than... daaaayum! This corps is smokin' hot and will add at least 10 degrees to the ambient temperature in Rochester. You guys left me speechless after the parking lot jam. It was very cool to hang out with the CV tenor line for a little bit shootin' the poop. We'll definitely have to hook up for a brew or two in Rochester.

:mmm:

I'm all up for a brew at Rochester man. It was cool getting to hang out with you.

No matter which way the dB goes for any of the corps, most of us should be able to agree that it was pretty frickin' loud. :beer:

I look forward to seeing all of you at Rockmart next weekend.

There.

heee heee heee.

B)

b**bs

Rock and or Roll, baby.

betcha they could hear the tenors just fine, too!

:worthy:

doubt it