Are the corps louder this year?

I must say, there was one baritone entrance in Cadets show which, by itself, was the single loudest thing I can recollect hearing this summer.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember thinking there were lots of corps that were louder this year. Colts, Spirit, and Blue Stars even seemed to have some remarkable volume this year. It was great to hear.

I must say, there was one baritone entrance in Cadets show which, by itself, was the single loudest thing I can recollect hearing this summer.

Hey, I think I know what you are referring to. The triad near the end of their opener really rattles the teeth and tickles my drum corps sweet tooth!!

Hey, I think I know what you are referring to. The triad near the end of their opener really rattles the teeth and tickles my drum corps sweet tooth!!

bingo. The rest of the corps plays on the downbeats, while the baris come in on beat 3, and then beat 2 in the next bar. They sound as loud as the rest of the corps combined ^OO^

Yes sir that's the one. It was a pleasant shock. You could almost feel the soundwave.

"fffff - the best reason to play euphonium"

:)

I second that!!! :)

If you think the corps are loud during their show, catch them in an encore. Regiment's encore is just a total wall of sound. It's amazing.

I haven't had the chance to hear Cadets this year because of that new rule randomly giving corps the encore, not the ones who earned it.

I haven't had the chance to hear Cadets this year because of that new rule randomly giving corps the encore, not the ones who earned it.

Thank god someone said it!! lol I think the corps who is in first deserves their encore, not some corps that was in 4 place, or worse...

Edited by SnareFlare07

bingo. The rest of the corps plays on the downbeats, while the baris come in on beat 3, and then beat 2 in the next bar. They sound as loud as the rest of the corps combined ^OO^

That's called "Strategic OLD SCHOOL Arranging". I haven't heard scoring like that in a solid 15+ years.

To the OP .... I think some of it has to do with the progress of PR's hornline since and including 2003. They went back to raw ... and were successful in doing so. I think it took 1 or 2 top notch hornlines taking the risk of lettin 'er RIP and being rewarded before Drum Corps Nation was willing to follow suit. Think about it ... everyone wants to be competitively successful. There was a good stretch from 2000 to 2006 (with all of Cavies success) where everyone dialed it down and went for control. The combination of MSARP and PR blowing the walls down last year really shattered the fears of most of the horn staff's out there. It's "OK" to be loud again ......... YAY FOR US FAN$$$$$$ :worthy::worthy:

Blue Stars were very loud last year. With a very nice quality of sound. I'm surprised more folks hadn't noticed until now.

Dear Div 1,

Thank you for the volume this year. I'll place my order for next year NOW. MORE OF THE SAME ... and MORE of that more of the same please! Keep crankin it up!!!!! Thank you for turning your hornlines loose earlier in the season so you could work on controlling your power down the stretch. Again.... More of the same in 2008 please .. in fact, START SOONER!!!!!!! b**bs

Thank You,

The Fan$$$$$

I second that!!! :)

If you think the corps are loud during their show, catch them in an encore. Regiment's encore is just a total wall of sound. It's amazing.

Old can of worms ... but it's a fact. The more you move .. the less power comes out of the horns. I'm not trying to start a new school/old school argument here, but your observations of standstill power from all the corps is proof enough. No, they can't produce that kind of volume when they're flying all over the place (btw .. flying all over the place is severely COOL). I'm just happy that the horn staff's are pushing the performers to TRY and achieve the same sound from the ARC on the FIELD. I'll take what I can get and hope they keep pushing in this direction.