When Narration is Good...

I'm thinking that if you're going to use amplified voice, let's get a coach in there to work with these people. Proper technique would go a long way in selling the concept. Also, not everyone has a great speaking voice, so auditions should be mandatory. Next year you'll have 150 options.

I'm still waiting to hear a definitive way to account for good or bad voice use, whether it be technical issues with the equipment, or blown lines by the speaker, or bad design issues...or great blend and balance, great diction and great design. I can only think of GE or music ensemble as a place to put it, but it should count towards a corps score one way or another.

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although narration is not my favorite, I feel that it gives today's drum corps another characteristic. For all of those people who say all drum corps look and sound like, doesn't this just make a difference between corps who do use and do not use?

it seems that the only thing narration contributes is to change the paradigm - so instead of drum corps meaning music and visual it now becomes music, visual and.... the spoken work?

Ok, you're performing Lincoln Portrait and you've booked James Earl Jones for the summer - that would work....

but other than that type of narration, all I can see narration contributing to the art form know as drum corps is allowing corps to incorporate narration into their shows so they can become something like really neat show choirs? or really big poetry slams?

Am I the only one who thinks that narration in a drum corps by the very fact that it is a non-musical component to the audio portion of a show is never good, no matter how often it's used, the content, or the voice quality? There is something special about limitation in the arts. I like drum corps because you can only portray the message in the forms of music and choreography, which, unlike narration, have no inherent meaning. I think maybe I'm too rigid in my definition of what a drum corps show should be, but...face it. I have a very strict definition because that definition is what the activity means to me and why it is important to me.

Am I the only one who thinks that narration in a drum corps by the very fact that it is a non-musical component to the audio portion of a show is never good, no matter how often it's used, the content, or the voice quality? There is something special about limitation in the arts. I like drum corps because you can only portray the message in the forms of music and choreography, which, unlike narration, have no inherent meaning. I think maybe I'm too rigid in my definition of what a drum corps show should be, but...face it. I have a very strict definition because that definition is what the activity means to me and why it is important to me.

Im sure you're not the only one, but its a smaller minority. Also, the definition of what is and is not 'musical' is certainly up for debate. But thank you for presenting yourself in a mature matter this time... :)

Im sure you're not the only one, but its a smaller minority. Also, the definition of what is and is not 'musical' is certainly up for debate. But thank you for presenting yourself in a mature matter this time... :)

You're welcome. The Crowntastrophe just made me snap...

Edited by Hrothgar15

it seems that the only thing narration contributes is to change the paradigm - so instead of drum corps meaning music and visual it now becomes music, visual and.... the spoken work?

Ok, you're performing Lincoln Portrait and you've booked James Earl Jones for the summer - that would work....

but other than that type of narration, all I can see narration contributing to the art form know as drum corps is allowing corps to incorporate narration into their shows so they can become something like really neat show choirs? or really big poetry slams?

*SNAP, SNAP, SNAP* :P

Hrothgar, no offense here, because I think you're a great poster. Unless you've marched (have you?) drum corps to many and the shows we or did perform is not about narration. For me, it's way down on the list of what I define as drum corps. Again this is not a bag on you, but think about how special this week is for many people. Even though it's been over 10 years since I aged out, I get goose bumps just thinking about what the performers are going through this week. I'm sure whichever corps have narration in their show, their performers will not look back years from now and think narration. Cheers!