DCI Posts Quarterfinals Lineup

Re-posted mine for comparison. I'm curious, though, how DCI came to some of the choices they did. The website says, " Performance order was determined by averaging the scores achieved at the Allentown, Atlanta, San Antonio, Indianapolis/Denver, and Phoenix/Stanford major events." The scores I posted are a reflection of that, yet some of the performance order does not match up, which means they chose to do something regarding the corps that did not go to all regionals.

14-22 are the same, The Academy got moved to 13 and 10-12 all got bumped up one, #8 is the same, #6-7 are switched, Mandarins got moved to #3 and Southwind and Cascades got bumped up a slot, then 1-2 are the same.

All in all, I don't really care, but I'm just curious what DCI did to the numbers to make the changes they did.

So, pags, do you have time to play with this and see if you can figure out what they did? (Picking on you since you did all the initial work to come up with the averages :)). I emailed DCI about this already and have not gotten a response.

It is what it is -- I'm just curious what the final method used was.

Edited by Liam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is so they can show as many corps in the theater as possible. If the intermission were any shorter, many people wouldn't be able to make it to the theater in time to see the top 17 shows. I'm sure it will already be tough for viewers in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.

But wouldn't it do just as well to start the whole show 45 minutes later? If they aren't going to be showing the first 6 corps anyways, why can't they be performing while the theater-goers roll in?

So close for Cascades I'm sure...I'm sure they are a little disappointed to not have their full performance shown in the theaters.

I think that Cascades shouldv'e been the one to have gone on after the 1st Intermission and been in the Cinecast.

Troopers shouldve gone on after Mandarins.

Edited by Zeke

I'm sure pacific crest is going to be super excited about actually being in the cinecast...if i remember correctly from people who have previously gone to cinecasts in the so cal area, there always seems to be technical difficulties during the snippets of their performances...congrats to them and academy for making it.

So, pags, do you have time to play with this and see if you can figure out what they did? (Picking on you since you did all the initial work to come up with the averages :)). I emailed DCI about this already and have not gotten a response.

It is what it is -- I'm just curious what the final method used was.

I'll try and play with it a little tonight, though I have a Vacation Bible School program I'm helping with and probably won't have a lot of time. It would be a lot easier if DCI posted the averages that THEY used for determining the performance order.

What I'm thinking is that they used some kind of average of scores or a weighted score to fill in for the regionals that The Academy, Mandarins, and Pacific Crest did not attend. For instance, I know that either last year or a couple years ago, performance order heading into a major regional was determined by the average scores from the previous week. So, you average scores from 07/01/07 to 07/07/07 would be used to determine the order for a major regional on 07/14/07. They may have done something like that.

Like you said, I'll have to play around with it.

Has there ever been a 60 min. intermission?? :doh: That's like a lunch/dinner break.

Edited by gbell211

Yeah, I think it would have gone over well if they bumped up the starting time of the whole show and showed all 22 corps' performances and then had an hour intermission later on. That would have also given the fans the opportunity to leave the theater to grab some dinner as well. Although I'm sure this wouldn't have gone over well with the theaters...potential for lost concessions revenue.

I can't find it on the DCI site, but I believe that they are using a corps most recent (previous to a reginial) score for corps that didn't attend a regional. ie if a corps missed a regional on Saturday but performed the previous Tuesday, the Tues score would be used.

Has there ever been a 60 min. intermission?? :doh: That's like a lunch/dinner break.

This was the norm in the 70's and early 80's on prelim day. I stiil have the schedules. Anywhere from 45-60 minutes

IIRC, they used the Long Beach show for Academy and Mandarins going into San Antonio because they weren't at the previous regional. It would make sense that they used those scores in this seeding as well.

Garry in Vegas