Cadets' narration....thoughts

Cadets have always been one of my favorite corps - always, always.

Became a rabid fan of this activity back in the 70s.

The only time I've seen the Cadets this year was the webcast from Atlanta.

Couldn't get past the narration - That might have been because of the webcast and sound but it was VERY distracting.

I'll be seeing them Thursday, Friday and Saturday and will give it 3 more trys but I have a feeling I won't be supporting them at the souvie truck this year. Thats how I flex my muscle of support or lack thereof. Even the brief narration Pacific Crest, Crown, Bluecoats is a distraction to me. BUT the pit sounds better with amplification. :satisfied:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clearer about my statement, let me rephrase: When I saw them perform live I knew they were playing because I could hear "something," I just couldn't hear it with the kind of detail and clarity I have come to expect and desire from a Cadets show. Maybe I have to lower my expectations? :P

I equate it to noisy fans in the stands when I'm straining to hear the show. I really felt it this year in Tempe because it was the only major regional show I was going to get to see and it was a week before finals. I had to ssshhhh the people behind me who were talking about each corps during the performance. I let it slide for awhile and then I turned and, "Please be quiet during the performances." They gave me a look.

After that corps...I think it was Pacific Crest...I apologized and explained that the time between corps is a great time to talk about what you just saw..but for the enjoyment of others, please do not talk during a corps performance.

As the evening wore on, we talked more about corps and I explained some of the things I was listening for. Like Academy's silent portion with the flags, etc. The horn licks from Colts, Blue Stars, etc.

So...it does affect my enjoyment when talking is taking place while a corps is performing.

y'know all this talk about narration... I think even with a fair amount.... even through the whole show...that it can still be cool. There was a high school (Westfield High School in Spring, TX, which has won BOA grand nationals recently) that did a narration show back in 2001 (I think... it may have been 2000) that was very cool. Their show was about the 2 sides of the brain and how each functioned and how it came together. If you can find it, it was awesome. Very effective use of narration that got the croud going wild. We talked about it a lot at my high school after we saw it.

edit... unfortunately, I think the cadets missed it this time.

Edited by jlbergin

I know I've said this somewhere, but...

Cadets are awesome. Horns are right there with BD in that "intensity" category I always talk about. Drums seemed good to this brass guy's ears. Guard is always there.

Exceptionally well-performed show, but...

First reaction at Dallas was, "The Cadets' narration is, um...prevalent." It distracts from the show, not adds to it. Probably 50 people have already said that. There are any number of pieces that could have been used that are classics of the orchestral, concert band, jazz, and other areas--even pop music--that have already been proven great by measure of the level of sales of albums containing those pieces. I realize sales popularity does not equate to greatness, but it doesn't hurt!

And this show, and specifically the text of the narration, will be forgotten shortly after the parking lot clears after finals. That is unfortunate, given the calibre of the corps. But when you put a crap concept on the show, don't expect any more, no matter how well you perform it.

Maybe you could tell us why so much of the Cadets music is derivative, left over licks from past years? And why do they insist on this lame show concept, which is basically doing a "Music is Cool Clinic" as the corps show, with the narration on-field, instead of by the staff from the stands? That concept was already done by bands, and is tired.

The Cadets have shown they are capable of much better, original show concepts than this drivel, however well executed.

AJMHO

What are you talking about...left over licks from past years? :satisfied:

They play 4 songs (Symphonic Movement, Blue Shades, Chorale VI, and Cantus - Song of the Aeolus) in this show and all 4 have been used in DCI almost never that I know of.

Symphonic Mvmt - Never before

Blue Shades - 5 times (never by the Cadets)

Chorale VI - Twice (both times Patriots)

Cantus - Song of the Aeolus - Twice (Patriots, Esperanza)

The musical selection for this show is one of the coolest ever done in Drum Corps!! B)

You're not the first person to say that either and it couldn't be farther from the truth. Somebody please tell me where ya'll come up with that crap. I agree with that guy earlier that said he wanted the karaoke version of this show. I just fast foward through the long narration stuff when I listen to the show. :rock:

Edited by jlbergin

So its been a while since I've said this.............

Sam is no longer a member of SoCal Dream, his opinions are those of his own, and not of the organization.

And Bill....instead of ripping on Dream, why don't you take your own advice and come out and play with them or help make them better.

I left my computer soon after my original post, and to be honest in thinking about it later in the day it was a pretty ###### bag post on my side. And not really well thought out. My intention was more directed towards the original poster and I wanted to bring up something that might hit home a bit harder in trying to make a point. Unfortunately, in my "too quick" to respond mannerism, I unfairingly brought in an entire group when it was honestly only going towards an individual.

Being a Cadet fan maybe I am a bit too hyper-sensative on the issue. I have had freinds and former students who have marched Cadets and I have a freind who is a current staff member with the Cadets and it just gets flat out annoying day after day reading the constant bashing of one of the top groups in the activity. When I attend DCI finals, I don't really care who wins, I just want to see good shows and be entertained. But after reading all of the Cadet bashing I really hope they win this season.

That all being said, I would like to offer an official apology to the staff and members of Dream for the contents of my first post.

It's official. This thread is a TrainWreck.

I love the Cadets. Ever since I first saw them in 1982 I've been a fan.

I'm not an anti-narration robot. I enjoyed BD's 95 show and I enjoyed this years Bluecoats show. I love the Cadets this year...with the notable exception of the narration. As the original poster stated, it's just way to over the top.

If the narration were just cut down it would be fine. It's simply too much, almost like it's being intentionally shoved down our throats, then saying we're closed minded if we don't want to accept it.

I left my computer soon after my original post, and to be honest in thinking about it later in the day it was a pretty ###### bag post on my side. And not really well thought out. My intention was more directed towards the original poster and I wanted to bring up something that might hit home a bit harder in trying to make a point. Unfortunately, in my "too quick" to respond mannerism, I unfairingly brought in an entire group when it was honestly only going towards an individual.

Being a Cadet fan maybe I am a bit too hyper-sensative on the issue. I have had freinds and former students who have marched Cadets and I have a freind who is a current staff member with the Cadets and it just gets flat out annoying day after day reading the constant bashing of one of the top groups in the activity. When I attend DCI finals, I don't really care who wins, I just want to see good shows and be entertained. But after reading all of the Cadet bashing I really hope they win this season.

That all being said, I would like to offer an official apology to the staff and members of Dream for the contents of my first post.

Bill, As I said in my PM to you, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. However for you to come back here and post what you did above makes me respect you as a person more. Thanks.

Quite simply, I do not like the narration in THIS particular show because it is distracting.

I think it is distracting because (1) there is just so much of it, (2) a lot of the words are, in my opinion, cheesy and cliched, and (3) to a certain extent turns the "ensemble" activity of drum and bugle corps into a "solo" activity.

I completely understand what the design is trying to accomplish. It doesn't do it for me.

Allow an analogy: lets say that a horn line is playing a beautiful ballad. Then, all of a sudden, the drumline starts inappropriately ramming notes on top of it. That would be distracting. I feel the same way about the narration in this show.

That's my opinion. Apparently shared by a lot of spectators, but not too many judges. C'est la vie.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA