A Word From the OTHER Competition...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which structure do they want you to park in...the one next to the stadium, or can you park in one of the other ones on the other side of campus if needed?

They prefer you to park in Lot 5, off of Bonnie Ave north of Del Mar and south of Colorado. Pedestrian access out of the lots lets you off practically at the front of the ticket booth and entrance to Robinson Stadium. The other big lot which runs right up against the west end of the stadium was blocked off, and for good reason. I'm sure the constant running of engines and possibly a few car alarms to boot would have made that lot intolerable for the competition. It's LITERALLY the west wall of the stadium, 5 stories tall.

And for Tom above...my issue, or my shortcoming, is that I do NOT have the big picture. I don't even pretend to have the big picture. And the enthusiasm you see is just for the product that I saw yesterday. I might be wrong about last year--and again, I'm sure it was just me--but this year I have NO DOUBTS whatsoever. Your contention about self-promotion and what not is very interesting, considering one of the many hats I wear is a part time PR angle I have on the board of Impulse. So--that means I could have done more in my own sphere of influence. Interesting--I'll take your comments to heart.

And you're welcome for the enthusiasm. That's sort of my middle name.

Right after the H.

They do not promote themselves well and they do not connect with the core (corps) drum corps fan.

I disagree with you completely! I watched several shows this year (including Div 1) and the one that sold this "core (corps) drum corps fan" was VELVET KNIGHTS! With a close follow up BDB (very cool show too). These smaller corps do have entertainment value, but you can keep telling people they don't and you'll continue turning fans away from some good drum corps. Good job.

I disagree with you completely! I watched several shows this year (including Div 1) and the one that sold this "core (corps) drum corps fan" was VELVET KNIGHTS! With a close follow up BDB (very cool show too). These smaller corps do have entertainment value, but you can keep telling people they don't and you'll continue turning fans away from some good drum corps. Good job.

Well, unfortunately, alot of the Division I fans has become this type of person:

"Just spoon feed me the show. I don't want to have to think about what the show means. I don't want to listen to music I've never heard before. I had better be able to whistle the song days after your show in order for me to call it "good". Don't try anything new. Each and every corps should start at one end zone, end at the other end zone and play Simple Gifts, Young Person's Guide, or get a little carried away and play something by Chuck Mangione. Oh yeah....and every year of drum corps AFTER my age out year is not "real" drum corps."

-signed: Bitter old drum corps fan that can't get off my ### and do it any more so I sit in the stands like the two old grumpy guys from the Muppet Show and drag everyone down.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

Personally, I've alway always enjoyed the DII/III shows. The atmosphere is much more kicked back and relaxed, the corps are good, and they're not constantly telling you "what they believe".

...like the two old grumpy guys from the Muppet Show and drag everyone down.

Hey, don't be doggin' the Muppets! :P

Statler and Waldorf ROCK!

Dave Eddelman is Director of Div. II/III. He's an outstanding person and works hard for the kid's.

I'm gonna have to disagree with Mr. Tom Brace here.

I consider myself a serious drum corps fan, yet I LOVE div. II/III.

Hell, I'd almost rather go to a Div. II/III show, because the atmosphere is more relaxed and intimate.

In conclusion, I'd like to ask Mr. Tom Brace to stop making generalized statements that do not represent the truth.

Well, unfortunately, alot of the Division I fans has become this type of person:

"Just spoon feed me the show. I don't want to have to think about what the show means. I don't want to listen to music I've never heard before. I had better be able to whistle the song days after your show in order for me to call it "good". Don't try anything new. Each and every corps should start at one end zone, end at the other end zone and play Simple Gifts, Young Person's Guide, or get a little carried away and play something by Chuck Mangione. Oh yeah....and every year of drum corps AFTER my age out year is not "real" drum corps."

-signed: Bitter old drum corps fan that can't get off my ### and do it any more so I sit in the stands like the two old grumpy guys from the Muppet Show and drag everyone down.

and certainly those people may exist but I find that to seldom be the case. More often, what I see is a whole bunch of corps who have decided to be treated like second rate citizens when it's just not the case. I went to II/III finals in Madison last year and would again this year if I was able to go to Finals. But, I'd be one of very few who would be there and it wouldn't be because the show quality is bad because frankly it isn't. I guess I'm just tired of trying to help folks who won't get off their lazy butts and help themselves. II/III doesn't have to be this way. Grow up and quit trying to suckle the teet of DCI and get your own Exec. Director with your own interests in mind. Or, work hard to come up with a way that you get to compete within the DCI system where you receive some kind of benefit from your performance. The current system is not broke if you are a Div. I corps. It's broken for II/III and these remaining corps have been part of the problem.