Average Corps Age

First flaw I see is that someone would assume this is just about Renegades because the idea of analysing age/placement comes from one in the corps.

It is just a valid idea worth evaluating by someone someday - perhaps.

I don't tend to hear many of us oldsters complaining about being old - except when it is time for a long drive home after rehearsal. I am proud to be in the way over 40 group of the Reneguard and I am sure that anyone that has hit 40 and is still able to do this activity (in any corps) is proud of themselves.

I take pride in being able to build a cohesive group with people of various ages, abilities, locales, etc. whatever - I just am glad I can still be out on the field learning and participating.

Each year when we line up for retreat at DCA it hits me anew of the youth of many involved and my pride in personal achievement grows...hey, my Mom couldn't do what I am doing at the age of 48....I don't put down anyone for being young - I was in high school band and then Blue Devils. I am just celebrating things for myself as a wonderful contrast to what many do - turn into couch potatoes.

May we have a Drum Corps United over 40+ guard group celebration? Diane - Renegades 3rd year 48 yrs young

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First flaw I see is that someone would assume this is just about Renegades because the idea of analysing age/placement comes from one in the corps.

It is just a valid idea worth evaluating by someone someday - perhaps.

I don't tend to hear many of us oldsters complaining about being old - except when it is time for a long drive home after rehearsal. I am proud to be in the way over 40 group of the Reneguard and I am sure that anyone that has hit 40 and is still able to do this activity (in any corps) is proud of themselves.

I take pride in being able to build a cohesive group with people of various ages, abilities, locales, etc. whatever - I just am glad I can still be out on the field learning and participating.

Each year when we line up for retreat at DCA it hits me anew of the youth of many involved and my pride in personal achievement grows...hey, my Mom couldn't do what I am doing at the age of 48....I don't put down anyone for being young - I was in high school band and then Blue Devils. I am just celebrating things for myself as a wonderful contrast to what many do - turn into couch potatoes.

May we have a Drum Corps United over 40+ guard group celebration? Diane - Renegades 3rd year 48 yrs young

HEAR, HEAR !!!!

Quick! someone hand this woman a beer ... and one for Momeesa too ... well, and one for me

Renegades - 5 years in the guard - age 45 thru 49 and still kicking ### and taking names

there's a lot to be said for experience ...

^0^

Lol guys, ill say it again.

This really has nothing to do with us, our scores, our ages nothing. Just curious. I didnt start the thread, just added to it.

I think me marching with some older, talented, experience people before I marched Jr's was a huge advantage for me.

Not knockin it whatsoever. Please dont assume that.

I'd speak for Brass' average age but it varies so much its hard to say, The average age of the contra's is probably 22...

Wow, the average age of our contra section is almost 40!!! Yes, it scares me too. :sshh:

Trevor - it was someone earlier that seemed to infer that Renegades thinks they suffer for being on the older side - I was just saying "whatever" - not about you brudder...not at all.

I just think world is an amazing thang - I just got thru watching DCA Semi's last night and it took me back to the days when I was that young and disgustingly FIT. I'm working on it but the joints are 19-20 any more. My step son asked me how long I have "been doing this" I realized that I have been marching, teaching, judging and now performing again since 1976....wowowow

Wow, the average age of our contra section is almost 40!!! Yes, it scares me too. :sshh:

Well, ok let me make this more accurate, Dennis is 56ish....same with Keith, those are the two oldest members, then its Josh Rachel and Mike are all about 23-25ish then me Dan and Nick are all 19, so the average is 30. Ha, I was WAY off. But thats mostly because Keith and Dennis raise the average.

Jon Benesh, MBI Contra Section Leader 2007

Trevor - it was someone earlier that seemed to infer that Renegades thinks they suffer for being on the older side - I was just saying "whatever" - not about you brudder...not at all.

I just think world is an amazing thang - I just got thru watching DCA Semi's last night and it took me back to the days when I was that young and disgustingly FIT. I'm working on it but the joints are 19-20 any more. My step son asked me how long I have "been doing this" I realized that I have been marching, teaching, judging and now performing again since 1976....wowowow

Meh...I've heard other people in other corps talking about what an unfair advantage we have because we have so many BD and Vanguard alums in our corps.

What evah.... it's alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll good.

PS: I was just starting kindergarten in 1976.

::runs away before Diane can throw a shoe at me!!:::: B)

I have spent 40 years observing the age situation and it indeed is MOST interesting... the following is unscientific and strictly my observations but I believe that they are historically correct...

1. Prior to the mid 1980's - experience seems to have dominated... and of course Cabs were the "height" of experience. Sky and Hurcs too...

2. Bush kicked into existence (mid 80's) with a "somewhat" younger average age and a serious combination of experience and youth. This worked for them for almost a full decade. From afar, they seem to be returning to that formula...

3. The 90's saw the dominance of Syracuse and Empire who both - again - lowered the average age of the corps and to no one's surprise (or at least it shouldn't be) slightly increased the amount of practice time over what had become the "norm" in DCA corps.

4. Now we have the more recent emergence of Bucs and they have - I must add "most likely" as I'm a million miles away and have yet to see them this year - again lowered the average age... and I'm certain are a phenominally hard working corps.

What does this all mean? I believe that dedicated and talented corps can do serious damage in DCA (Renegades? for instance) but that the ability to have that same dedication and talent in a younger corps that most likely can rehearse a few longer hours a week (assuming the talented staff to mold it is there) will usually win out come championships...

Now some questions from afar... Bucs continue their romp through DCA... Still young (average age) I'll bet? Cabs are making a big challenge this season... are they younger average aged? Bet they are... and I know they have dedication and talent...

Before anyone goes ballistic - it is certainly possible that talent and experience could win DCA... It just seems to me that with all other things equal... the younger average age will prevail in this highly competitive and physically demanding activity.

Just an "educated" opinion...

In 1977 the Sunrisers were known as "the milk and cookies kids". We were pretty young and won that year.

average age in Hurricanes is very very young. I remember hearing something about 90% of the corps being under 23 or some crazy number like that. we're mostly high school and college kids as far as I know. we're doing alright. :)

... and still going like the Energizer bunny. B)

Now there's an image I'm going to have to go to church to get out of my head...